Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lookwhaticando

The old 'One-to-One' fad the OS had going on a while back...

From November 22nd, 2005 (told you it was a flashback!) :P

I found this little question and answer in the one-to-one article, and wondered if his answer has at all changed over the course of the last 11 months. ;)

What position do you prefer to play in the side?

Adam Tomlinson, Grantham

Well, I have played at right-back, left-back, centre-back and occasionally on the right-wing. But the position I certainly think is my best and the one I prefer is the defensive midfield role just in front of the back four. My job then is to win the ball and break up the opposition attack and then play a nice simple pass to keep us in possession.

:ph34r:

From November 22nd, 2005 (told you it was a flashback!) :P

I found this little question and answer in the one-to-one article, and wondered if his answer has at all changed over the course of the last 11 months. ;)

:ph34r:

Talk about saying what you think the manager wants to hear! These Aussies are all the same!

Good point. Had thought about it myself. Seems kinda strange that he'd say it was his preferred position when even he must have known it wasn't right. :ph34r:

Maybe he just didn't realise how good he is at centre back... did he play there for Hearts??

I shudder at the thought of him playing at right-wing, probably better than Low though :ph34r:

:ph34r: You'd imagine so. At least he can head the ball. :thumbup:

Maybe he just didn't realise how good he is at centre back... did he play there for Hearts??

Hard to say, really. He was classed as a defender when he signed as he signed as he played LB/CB and (supposedly) DM. So he must have played there for Hearts at some point - because as he said in the interview he played CB and LB before...

It's interesting. In some ways, he's right - he has most of the qualities for that role such as reading the play and breaking up the opposition attack. It's just that sometimes you have to take the ball forward a bit and then provide a pass. And that was what he was so woeful at. He'd give the ball away in dreadful positions and leave us totally exposed.

I think I remember Joey's 1-to-1 also said that the reason that he had such freedom was knowing Kis was behind to mop up. Something that deserves a hollow laugh.

But if Levein had found someone who could play that role properly - maybe it could've been Stearman, looking at him now - then I suspect things would have worked out for him - and possibly really well. 5 defensive players, 5 creative/attacking players. Shifting between 4-4-2 with a midfield diamond and 4-5-1. Most of the rest of the team would probably have been OK.

So I reckon it was Kis who - despite being a great player - inadvertently stuck it to Levein.

Archived