Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tommeh

Why?........

I'd be tempted to try Williams as captain, hopefully stop him going missing for huge chunks of games and improve his work rate and concentration.

I know you've emphasised the word "try" but that would be totally suicidal, i'd never even give it a moment's thought. A captain is supposed to lead by example - and Williams sets a very poor one.

I know you've emphasised the word "try" but that would be totally suicidal, i'd never even give it a moment's thought. A captain is supposed to lead by example - and Williams sets a very poor one.

Apart from your tone changing entirely (:P) the point is that captaincy MIGHT make him snap out of it. MIGHT. So you TRY it, and if it doesn't, you haven't lost much. "Nothing ventured, nothing gained", as the saying goes. Or to put it better, "He who dares wins"

I mean, with the personnel we have at the moment, how vital is the captaincy, really?

Isn't that our motto ???

Ermm didn't appear to be today, especially not in the incident I mentioned involving McCarthy.

Granted that the ball went back to Henderson many a time in the second half and he launched it downfield, but it was needless. We had the ball in the corner of the pitch in their half, so what did we decide to do? Go all the way fooking backwards to OUR goal! And even then, it wasn't hoofed out properly - it barely made it to the halfway line before coming straight back at us.

Possibly. He's so frustrating. Flashes of an excellent player just occasionally, and the rest of the time he just wanders around the field. He doesn't move into space at all. I do think, though, that perhaps he shouldn't be playing the holding role, especially when we lack possession and all he's doing it closing people down and making a piss-poor job of it.

Yep. Which is why we need a fully-fit Wesolowski living up to the hype in the holding role (which is presumably what he was supposed to be doing today) and Williams further up the pitch - to get the best out of him, if that is at all possible on a consistent basis.

I still don't think Williams has the pace, energy or general all-round liveliness to be a decent central midfielder, no matter how good his passing can be at times. It's all very well when people say he needs better players round him but you could say that about anyone.

Ermm didn't appear to be today, especially not in the incident I mentioned involving McCarthy.

Granted that the ball went back to Henderson many a time in the second half and he launched it downfield, but it was needless. We had the ball in the corner of the pitch in their half, so what did we decide to do? Go all the way fooking backwards to OUR goal! And even then, it wasn't hoofed out properly - it barely made it to the halfway line before coming straight back at us.

Some players mistake it for "if in doubt fook about" I think

Yep. Which is why we need a fully-fit Wesolowski living up to the hype in the holding role (which is presumably what he was supposed to be doing today) and Williams further up the pitch.

I still don't think Williams has the pace, energy or general all-round liveliness to be a decent central midfielder, no matter how good his passing can be at times. It's all very well when people say he needs better players round him but you could say that about anyone.

Naa, Williams was definately told to play holding. He passed to Weso/Hughes and then got behind them, or covered any defender that was attacking.

Really missing Joey Gudjonsson. :(

Quick comment, I just don't want anybody thinknig that I'm blaming individuals on that performance e.g McCarthy because the players as a team were all discraceful today. MCcarthy should not be blamed for this defeated the whole team were awful.

I'm just pointing out that I think Mcauley may have made a better contribution than MCacrthy today and has done nothing to worrant being dropped from the team.

Henderson was the only player who played well today and even he made individual errors mainly with his kicking. Also I was at least pleased that Fryatt looked a bit more fresh and willing to chase than in previous games.

Naa, Williams was definately told to play holding. He passed to Weso/Hughes and then got behind them, or covered any defender that was attacking.

Really missing Joey Gudjonsson. :(

If Kelly really told him to play there, he should be sacked.

And if he didn't, and Williams still played there, he's lost control of his players and he should be sacked.

Win-win, really.

Apart from your tone changing entirely (:P)

I haven't changed my tone at all, I've always said Williams is lazy. All I said was that he played well in the last few games, which is because we were up against poor opposition and he can get away with it.

the point is that captaincy MIGHT make him snap out of it. MIGHT. So you TRY it, and if it doesn't, you haven't lost much. "Nothing ventured, nothing gained", as the saying goes. Or to put it better, "He who dares wins"

I mean, with the personnel we have at the moment, how vital is the captaincy, really?

A good captain can often be the difference between an average team and a good team. Just look at Roy Keane at Man Utd. If he was in our team today he would simply not have allowed most of our players to play the way they did. I'll always remember when Utd were 2-0 down against Juventus in the Champions League Semi-final at The Delle Alpi and he almost single-handedly dragged them through it and into the final. That's what we need, some who can inspire the rest of the players to up their game. Williams would never be able to do that, not in a month of Sundays.

(By the way, I'm not suggesting Man Utd wouldn't have been a good side without Keane, cos they would, but he made sure that he got that little bit extra out of everyone all the time)

Some players mistake it for "if in doubt fook about" I think

Methinks that you're right. Levi seemed to make that mistake at times in the first half as well. Not to worry, I'm sure we're going to put in an awful lot of effort in training over the next couple of days before Fulham come down here to beat us. :rolleyes:

As for what sheephead said, the defeat wasn't just the fault of McCarthy. Everyone who played today has to take responsibility for that defeat. Especially the managerial staff. The team as a group today were pathetic excuses for footballers, and, other than Hendersons saves, I'm struggling to find a positive thing to say about our team performance.

I haven't changed my tone at all, I've always said Williams is lazy. All I said was that he played well in the last few games, which is because we were up against poor opposition and he can get away with it.

A good captain can often be the difference between an average team and a good team. Just look at Roy Keane at Man Utd. If he was in our team today he would simply not have allowed most of our players to play the way they did. I'll always remember when Utd were 2-0 down against Juventus in the Champions League Semi-final at The Delle Alpi and he almost single-handedly dragged them through it and into the final. That's what we need, some who can inspire the rest of the players to up their game. Williams would never be able to do that, not in a month of Sundays.

(By the way, I'm not suggesting Man Utd wouldn't have been a good side without Keane, cos they would, but he made sure that he got that little bit extra out of everyone all the time)

I agree entirely with what you say. One point I would make is that if McCarthy isn't doing that, what exactly is he in the team for? McAuley is the superior defender and McCarthy barely said a word to anyone else in the team today that I could see.

Your point is correct, but I said 'With the personnel with have at current', not with Roy fooking Keane. We don't really have a decent captain right now anyway, why not take a gamble? Who do with have as captain at current who DOES get the team motivated like that? No-one.

Quick comment, I just don't want anybody thinknig that I'm blaming individuals on that performance e.g McCarthy because the players as a team were all discraceful today. MCcarthy should not be blamed for this defeated the whole team were awful.

I'm just pointing out that I think Mcauley may have made a better contribution than MCacrthy today and has done nothing to worrant being dropped from the team.

Henderson was the only player who played well today and even he made individual errors mainly with his kicking. Also I was at least pleased that Fryatt looked a bit more fresh and willing to chase than in previous games.

Thing is, we can't afford to ship everyone out and play eleven different players next week. We should be looking to our captain (as well as Kelly, god forbid, before anyone picks me up on this) to motivate them to play better because the majority of those playing today were the best we have in the position they were playing. McCarthy pissed me off bigtime today, in case that wasn't coming across in my posts. :D

Your point is correct, but I said 'With the personnel with have at current' , not with Roy fooking Keane. We don't really have a decent captain right now anyway, why not take a gamble? Who do with have as captain at current who DOES get the team motivated like that? No-one.

Yes, and there are some far better options within our 'current personnel' than Gareth Williams e.g. Paddy Kisnorbo.

And I merely used Roy Keane to illustrate that the captaincy is very important to any team, whether it's Manchester United or Oadby Town. :thumbup:

Yes, and there are some far better options within our 'current personnel' than Gareth Williams e.g. Paddy Kisnorbo.

And I merely used Roy Keane to illustrate that the captaincy is very important to any team, whether it's Manchester United or Oadby Town. :thumbup:

It's not if they aren't particularly inspirational. How do you know Kisnorbo is up to the task? (you don't.)

It's not if they aren't particularly inspirational.

What? That doesn't even make sense.

How do you know Kisnorbo is up to the task? (you don't.)

How do you know Gareth Williams is up to the task? (you don't.)

And anyway, I didn't necessarily say he was up to the task, I just said he'd be a far better option than Gareth Williams.

What? That doesn't even make sense.

How do you know Gareth Williams is up to the task? (you don't.)

And anyway, I didn't necessarily say he was up to the task, I just said he'd be a far better option than Gareth Williams.

Does. :P

Why would he be a better option than Gareth Williams? Ability and being an example, right? IF we tried him, and he played well because of being given the captaincy, then we have the two of them playing well, rather than Williams being his usually shocking self. Williams strikes me as the type of player who needs that extra incentive to work hard, and just maybe the responsibility of captaincy would be the incentive he needs.

Probably not, of course, but surely worth a shot?

Does. :P

Why would he be a better option than Gareth Williams? Ability and being an example, right? IF we tried him, and he played well because of being given the captaincy, then we have the two of them playing well, rather than Williams being his usually shocking self. Williams strikes me as the type of player who needs that extra incentive to work hard, and just maybe the responsibility of captaincy would be the incentive he needs.

Probably not, of course, but surely worth a shot?

We'll have to agree to disagree on this I'm afraid. :thumbup:

I just don't for a minute think that Williams would put in any extra effort if he was captain - mainly cos the fact that he is talented enough to be playing in the Premiership should be incentive enough for him to work a bit harder. Fair enough, if we were on a good run of form it might be worth a shot. But the way the players are at the moment, Williams is not the man to lift them out of this slump.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this I'm afraid. :thumbup:

I just don't for a minute think that Williams would put in any extra effort if he was captain - mainly cos the fact that he is talented enough to be playing in the Premiership should be incentive enough for him to work a bit harder. Fair enough, if we were on a good run of form it might be worth a shot. But the way the players are at the moment, Williams is not the man to lift them out of this slump.

I agree to nothing!

I see your point, but no, you try new things when you're losing... otherwise you carry on losing. Anyway yeah we'll never agree.

Archived