Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in a Box

Tomi Petrescu

I think what you say is 100% relevent and makes a lot of sense. The point might also be made that the calls for our better young players to be involved with the first team - certainly mine and I well imagine some of the others - are only made because what we've got as been failing so miserably and over such a long period of time.

It remains true that the young players can only perform against the opposition put in front of them but even at this stage I would call any of them potential world beaters.

Some, like Levi and Logan I would guess, might be realistic enough to keep working really hard week by week to improve, even having got into the first team. Others like Stearman and Sheehan when he was involved, haven't been so convincing.

That our right wing, for instance, has been a problem is probably incontestible. Even the club have got rid of both accepted right wingers, emphasising the point that Gradel probably did deserve a chance because he would probably have been more of a threat. Those two weren't a threat in any way.

Now the club might sign another quality right winger and, if they do, who's grumbling? If Gradel then became the regular understudy, deputising and getting experience as opportunity permitted even better because the club and the player would have taken several steps forward.

Exactly the same applies to King and Dodds. Established first teamers haven't been performing the jobs they do. No question.

If we sign better then the Academy pair shouldn't be left idle, as has been the case with Dodds too often, but developed as proper replacements gaining, like Gradel, experience as appropriate.

Hopefully too, our reserves will be re-established so our best young players don't have to piss about in a fairly meaningless competition any more than necessary, not only stunting their own development but the development of younger players who cannot break through to the under 18's so soon.

I hope your only talking about this season with Stearman. Last season he was immense and the season before that when he first burst on to the scene he was the most impressive youngster we've seen here for a few years. Don't let this season cloud your memory, as you say, it is imperitive for the youngsters to improve rapidly once they establish themselves in the first team as it's often the case that their second full season see's them struggle to replicate the form of their first season. Due to opposition perhaps wising up to what their game is all about.

Yes, players like Lycett, Gradel, King, Tejan-Sie and Odhiambo should be playing reserve team football this season in my opinion, and I mean regular starters. A lot of our current under 18s have been involved in reserve team games in the past, even if it was only the odd appearance. The five mentioned should be where the next first team players come from. Gradel showed last season that he could score consistently at reserve team level so for him to be playing only youth team football this season isn't progression. I don't think Lycett will make it here but he should be another playing for a reserve side to measure himself. If those 5 played for the reserves instead of the under 18s or, occasionally, as well as then it would open the gap for player like Cox, Rowe-Turner and other 1st year scholars whose chances have been limited. Not sure where they're getting their football (a mate of mine mentioned there being some kind of under 17 league during the week which enables some of the lads that don't get to play on the Saturdays to get a game?) but to be 16/17 years old and not playing regularly must be frustrating and, looking long term, not good for their progression. Only bonus is that the 1st year scholars that have managed to play a lot of games like Garner and Mattock have had to be good and perform well to take one of the limited places available. Garner didn't start on Saturday maybe because of a dip in form (mistake against Wolves etc) so players can't sit back and relax. The reserve team is on the surface only a small part of a club but it could have knock on effects to how experienced our young players coming through are in a couple of years.

Let's hope this is only a problem for this season only. I am pretty sure that should the Mandaric deal go through, that we'll be in a reserve league for next season. Probably back playing at Hinckley United.

I hope your only talking about this season with Stearman. Last season he was immense and the season before that when he first burst on to the scene he was the most impressive youngster we've seen here for a few years. Don't let this season cloud your memory, as you say, it is imperitive for the youngsters to improve rapidly once they establish themselves in the first team as it's often the case that their second full season see's them struggle to replicate the form of their first season. Due to opposition perhaps wising up to what their game is all about.

Let's hope this is only a problem for this season only. I am pretty sure that should the Mandaric deal go through, that we'll be in a reserve league for next season. Probably back playing at Hinckley United.

I was. Nothing's seemed quite right about Stearman this season.

The transfer approach came at the wrong time and took his eye off the ball meaning he had a woeful start.

Then he was moved this way and that in the team - occasionally out of necessity - but often as a means of "accommodation" because there was surely no other logical reason.

He's played right wing, central midfield and when he's played at right back has had a succession of different partners in front of him, mostly playing pretty indifferently.

For all that, apart from the few games, he's had his moments and has been no worse than a good few others. Indeed he's made important contributions.

It's just that we've only seen glimpses of his best and hopefully, if he stays for the Mandaric revolution, we'll start seeing the real Richard Stearman again.

I was. Nothing's seemed quite right about Stearman this season.

The transfer approach came at the wrong time and took his eye off the ball meaning he had a woeful start.

Then he was moved this way and that in the team - occasionally out of necessity - but often as a means of "accommodation" because there was surely no other logical reason.

He's played right wing, central midfield and when he's played at right back has had a succession of different partners in front of him, mostly playing pretty indifferently.

For all that, apart from the few games, he's had his moments and has been no worse than a good few others. Indeed he's made important contributions.

It's just that we've only seen glimpses of his best and hopefully, if he stays for the Mandaric revolution, we'll start seeing the real Richard Stearman again.

I agree, I hope he can fulfill his potential. It would be a massive waste.

Archived