Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in a Box

Tomi Petrescu

Likewise I haven't seen the reserves and youth say, but a point must be made though, when the likes of Josh Low and Johnson have been given the chance to play and have dissapointed, one does think maybe Kelly could give an opportunity to the youngsters!!

Agreed, that most of the 'second' team may well not be good enough but if they are not given the chance, then we will never know. I like the fact that they go out on loan, and judging by some of the performances, they is an arguement that some of them should be given the chance and that some are just not good enough!!!

For your information, I make judgement calls on players based on what I have seen during matches.

I have never seen Gradel, King, Dodds (or any other youngster you will no doubt harp on about in the future) play - so why should I praise them? Why should I call for their inclusion in the team when I know next to nothing about them? Unlike a lot of people on here, I'm not swept away by your statements proclaiming how great they are.

I will not call for youngsters to be given opportunities just because you rate them. After all, you thought Alan Sheehan was the next Ashley Cole. Look at him now.

I trust the management and coaching staff more than I trust you. If they don't think King, Gradel, or Dodds are ready for first team football then I'll support them. Especially when I've never seen either player play.

Why is that so hard to understand?

Oh, and I'm not too bothered about academy/reserve football stats. Just because Dodds has scored tons of goals at that level it doesn't impress me much. We all thought Tommy Wright would be our saviour and he's nothing but a lower league player now.

Yes, I've come across your snap judgements in the past.

I didn't think Sheehan was the next Andy Cole - I simply likened his style to Denis Irwin - and I've criticised him heavily enough to suggest he should probably move on various occasions.

Both he himself, and the club, have let him down in my view. The guy has never proved or disproved his credentials. I simply said we had a serious weakness at left-back - could anything have been more plainly demonstrated? - and that Sheehan should be given a proper opportunity as an alternative.

I still think that based on the alternatives, none of whom can properly link defence with attack.

But were the club to sign an alternative attacking left-back I'd be perfectly happy.

You harp on about Tommy Wright but certainly I've never mentioned the guy. Anyway it's not as simple as saying people make appearances, get dropped for whatever reason and are therefore not good enough.

Some players are unlucky enough get persistent injuries at the wrong time and then slip away from the loop because alternatives are signed to replace them.

If the beloved management that you so revere put experienced players into our team of real pedigree I shall be more than supportive but if you think I'll condone our so trustworthy staff for giving us Low, Sylla, Brevett, Welsh, and Johnson forget it.

Quite apart from those highly questionable, sometimes inexplicable, decisions I believe it absolutely vital to the health and welfare of our club that we develop some quality players of our own.

But even to that end I've never made any ongoing claims about any of our young players - I've simply said there are better options in our youth team than some of the awful players who have worn our shirt.

Once their chance arises - provding it's a fair chance, then it is up to them, though none, so far, have demonstrably let us down.

And why you should be so sceptical when you don't even watch them I don't know.

Hopefully Mandaric will be less so and think developing players is important.

I'm optimistic about that because he has demonstrated already that he knows what it takes to be genuinely succcessful - and in more than one field. Perhaps, at last, we'll get the balance right and will fill our team with people who ALL deserve the shirt..

I didn't think Sheehan was the next Andy Cole - I simply likened his style to Denis Irwin - and I've criticised him heavily enough to suggest he should probably move on on various occasions.

Both he himself, and the club, have let him down in my view. The guy has never proved his credentials. I simply said we had a serious weakness at left-back - could anything have been more plainly demonstrated? - and that Sheehan should be given a proper opportunity as an alternative.

I still think that based on the alternatives, none of whom can properly link defence with attack.

But were the club to sign an alternative attacking left-back I'd be perfectly happy.

You harp on about Tommy Wright but I don't think I've ever mentioned. Anyway it's not as simple as saying people make appearances, get dropped for whatever reason and are therefore not good enough.

Some players simply get persistent injuries at the wrong time and then slip away from the loop because alternatives are signed to replace them.

If the beloved management that you so revere put experienced players into our team of real pedigree I shall be more than supportive but if you think I'll condone our so trustworthy staff for giving us Low, Sylla, Brevett, Welsh, and Johnson forget it.

Quite apart from those highly questionable, sometimes inexplicable, decisions I believe it absolutely vital to the health and welfare of our club that we develop some quality players of our own.

Hopefully Mandaric will think that too. Because he has demonstrated that he knows what it takes to be genuinely succcessful - and in more than one field.

Why bring up Brevett he was bought in as a squad player and hardly ever played.RK didn't sign Sylla, and he didn't play badly when he was selected so whay are you getting at? In the end RK has made money on Low to so it's hardly the end of the world.

Why bring up Brevett he was bought in as a squad player and hardly ever played.RK didn't sign Sylla, and he didn't play badly when he was selected so whay are you getting at? In the end RK has made money on Low to so it's hardly the end of the world.

I was making the point generally that management wasn't always right - and demonstrably so.

And for the pittance we made on Low - when it comes through in dribs and drabs - we could have spent our time and money better but that's behind us now, thankfully. :whistle:

I was making the point generally that management wasn't always right - and demonstrably so.

And for the pittance we made on Low - when it comes through in dribs and drabs - we could have spent our time and money better but that's behind us now, thankfully. :whistle:

Maybe not but as I've said before, we've not released a youngster who has turned out to be fantastic for a very long time. I can't even remember any young players we've sold/released and regretted it, so maybe you should trust the youth team and first team management a bit more, as they know whats best for the players and not you.

Maybe not but as I've said before, we've not released a youngster who has turned out to be fantastic for a very long time. I can't even remember any young players we've sold/released and regretted it, so maybe you should trust the youth team and first team management a bit more, as they know whats best for the players and not you.

Looking at our position in the League table these last few years, the sort of players we've sometimes signed, the sort of negative tactics we've employed, the way we've failed to mend our weaknesses and the sort of football we've served up during that time I don't trust anyone.

Looking at our position in the League table these last few years, the sort of players we've sometimes signed, the sort of negative tactics we've employed, the way we've failed to mend our weaknesses and the sort of football we've served up during that time I don't trust anyone.

But fixing these problems is no where near as easy as you think, neither is playing attacking football, neither is throwing half the youth team in at the deep end.

Sylla is more than capable.

The problem lies with the coaching/management/evident lack of any motivation.

He played quite well when he was introduced into the squad even his critics will admit, he's just vanished like Nissa who hasn't doing that badly himself, I wouldn't mind as they are two players we should really be looking to replace but we don't have anything better atm.

But fixing these problems is no where near as easy as you think, neither is playing attacking football, neither is throwing half the youth team in at the deep end.

Making a start would help.

Addressing weaknesses that have been glaring for ages should have happened long ago.

And the "half" a youth team mentioned equates to Dodds and King, with maybe Sheehan and Gradel playing a part.

Given that, none of what you say holds any fears for me.

Making a start would help.

Addressing weaknesses that have been glaring for ages should have happened long ago.

And the "half" a youth team mentioned equates to Dodds and King, with maybe Sheehan and Gradel playing a part.

Given that, none of what you say holds any fears for me.

I have to agree Thracian, one of the biggest issues I have with RK, is his lack of 'dynamicism' and his constant failing tactics, approach to play, playing players out of position and failure of his playing staff!!

I have to agree Thracian, one of the biggest issues I have with RK, is his lack of 'dynamicism' and his constant failing tactics, approach to play, playing players out of position and failure of his playing staff!!

How do you fix it? It's easy to have a pop but he lacks options, Andy King, Louis Dodds and Max Gradel are not going to send us shooting up the league. Some of the tatics used have been dodgy and square pegs in round holes isn't welcome, but if there is one thing our youth team coaches and Rob Kelly a former suceesfull youth team coach himself knows how to do it's bring the right youngsters through at the right time, he's proven this with Porter and Logan.

How do you fix it? It's easy to have a pop but he lacks options, Andy King, Louis Dodds and Max Gradel are not going to send us shooting up the league. Some of the tatics used have been dodgy and square pegs in round holes isn't welcome, but if there is one thing our youth team coaches and Rob Kelly a former suceesfull youth team coach himself knows how to do it's bring the right youngsters through at the right time, he's proven this with Porter and Logan.

I'm not saying it's an easy or quick fix, but he hasn't made enough of an effort to improve things IMO. I'm not going to write an essay but I would say majority have been disapointed in his performance and especially his teams. I have no fear of losing, and would gladly see a team that tries to win everying game and that's not what RK does!!

On the point about youth, RK simply emplys the same players which fail the team week in week out, he plays players out of position and there is a lack of real competition within the team, IMO I can't see why there can't be a platform for the youth to atleast fill some gaps and add alittle competition to the first team!!!

You should have been a bodyguard. I can understand it with the ladies but why Anish should need your protection I don't know. Perhaps it's a Brotherhood.

I cannot imagine what the fortunes of long forgotten young players have got to do with anything anymore than the abilities of Len Chalmers or Frank Large are relevent to today's old uns.

But the fact that, apart from a few notable exceptions like Heskey and Shilton, our production line of youngsters has been disgracefully sparse, is nothing at all to be proud of, quite the contrary and, apart from contributing to our recent predicament has probably sewn the seeds of cynicism which you and your comrades seem so happy to water.

I could give chapter and verse as the reasons for that but won't bother cos the words will be wasted.

But there is no reason that situation should continue and while I don't imagine you'll agree, once we do bring a few of our own trainees to success then there is no reason the production line shouldn't feed itself and pay decent medium and long-term dividends in restoring the much fallen fortunes which the existing status quo has so long delivered.

We are not worthy!!!

Im obviously not saying that players who have left us go nowhere so our youth system is sh**, Im basically stating fact. Now that doesnt mean that we havent got a future superstar within our youth team or we wont in the future BUT you cant keep slinging kids into the squad at the drop of the hat because like it or not, we are in a relegation battle at the moment and we need to be clever at the timing of bringing in some of our kids. Knee-jerk reactions in slinging in even more kids into the first team could burn them out or have damaging effects on there future.

I've no idea how far they'll help to send us but the qualities of all three are of the sort we need right now and, however they fare, I believe they'd stand well enough alongside anyone we've got in the team at present.

If Mandaric chooses to buy better, then it might be a waste of their talent but at least he could defend his corner, and strongly so.

Otherwise the sooner those lads get some chances the better. Kelly might like Fryatt, Hughes, Williams, and Tiatto. That's plain to see.

But three of those won't ever get us won't get us many goals and Fryatt's been hiding his qualities in that department extraordinarily well.

The facts speak for themselves. But with Low/Sylla gone maybe we're steps further towards a new dawn. Whyever it's happened I'm so pleased.

Because despite some people's impressions I'm not anti-Kelly and I'm not anti-experience. I am for being postive, I am for attack and I am for treating people fairly and without favour.

People have differing opinions on whether our young players are good enough for the first team but I would look at a fact which makes me think the quality of the league our under 18s play in isn't all that good. They've lost three games this season including the FA Youth Cup game against Wolves and two of the teams they lost to were from different youth leagues. They battered Bristol City who had won and lost a similar amount of games as Wolves had in their league but then only managed to score once against Wolves and went out. Wolves and Blackburn are in a league with Man United, Man City, Crewe, Liverpool etc. If our under 18s were able to do as well in a division with clubs that have a reputation for developing youth then I think they'd have more reason to say they were ready for the first team. Unfortunately there are many teams in the league that aren't that good. Aston Villa have a reputation but their 18s are going through a transitional period by all accounts and I've seen how the under 18s have the ability to lose to or fail to hold on against a physical team like Watford who also have a reputation when it comes to developing good young players. Of course, people are only talking about a few members of the current under 18s making the step up and not the whole team but I still think the quality that our under 18s have come up against this season is not the best by a long way.

People have differing opinions on whether our young players are good enough for the first team but I would look at a fact which makes me think the quality of the league our under 18s play in isn't all that good. They've lost three games this season including the FA Youth Cup game against Wolves and two of the teams they lost to were from different youth leagues. They battered Bristol City who had won and lost a similar amount of games as Wolves had in their league but then only managed to score once against Wolves and went out. Wolves and Blackburn are in a league with Man United, Man City, Crewe, Liverpool etc. If our under 18s were able to do as well in a division with clubs that have a reputation for developing youth then I think they'd have more reason to say they were ready for the first team. Unfortunately there are many teams in the league that aren't that good. Aston Villa have a reputation but their 18s are going through a transitional period by all accounts and I've seen how the under 18s have the ability to lose to or fail to hold on against a physical team like Watford who also have a reputation when it comes to developing good young players. Of course, people are only talking about a few members of the current under 18s making the step up and not the whole team but I still think the quality that our under 18s have come up against this season is not the best by a long way.

I think what you say is 100% relevent and makes a lot of sense. The point might also be made that the calls for our better young players to be involved with the first team - certainly mine and I well imagine some of the others - are only made because what we've got as been failing so miserably and over such a long period of time.

It remains true that the young players can only perform against the opposition put in front of them but even at this stage I would call any of them potential world beaters.

Some, like Levi and Logan I would guess, might be realistic enough to keep working really hard week by week to improve, even having got into the first team. Others like Stearman and Sheehan when he was involved, haven't been so convincing.

That our right wing, for instance, has been a problem is probably incontestible. Even the club have got rid of both accepted right wingers, emphasising the point that Gradel probably did deserve a chance because he would probably have been more of a threat. Those two weren't a threat in any way.

Now the club might sign another quality right winger and, if they do, who's grumbling? If Gradel then became the regular understudy, deputising and getting experience as opportunity permitted even better because the club and the player would have taken several steps forward.

Exactly the same applies to King and Dodds. Established first teamers haven't been performing the jobs they do. No question.

If we sign better then the Academy pair shouldn't be left idle, as has been the case with Dodds too often, but developed as proper replacements gaining, like Gradel, experience as appropriate.

Hopefully too, our reserves will be re-established so our best young players don't have to piss about in a fairly meaningless competition any more than necessary, not only stunting their own development but the development of younger players who cannot break through to the under 18's so soon.

Hopefully too, our reserves will be re-established so our best young players don't have to piss about in a fairly meaningless competition any more than necessary, not only stunting their own development but the development of younger players who cannot break through to the under 18's so soon.

Yes, players like Lycett, Gradel, King, Tejan-Sie and Odhiambo should be playing reserve team football this season in my opinion, and I mean regular starters. A lot of our current under 18s have been involved in reserve team games in the past, even if it was only the odd appearance. The five mentioned should be where the next first team players come from. Gradel showed last season that he could score consistently at reserve team level so for him to be playing only youth team football this season isn't progression. I don't think Lycett will make it here but he should be another playing for a reserve side to measure himself. If those 5 played for the reserves instead of the under 18s or, occasionally, as well as then it would open the gap for player like Cox, Rowe-Turner and other 1st year scholars whose chances have been limited. Not sure where they're getting their football (a mate of mine mentioned there being some kind of under 17 league during the week which enables some of the lads that don't get to play on the Saturdays to get a game?) but to be 16/17 years old and not playing regularly must be frustrating and, looking long term, not good for their progression. Only bonus is that the 1st year scholars that have managed to play a lot of games like Garner and Mattock have had to be good and perform well to take one of the limited places available. Garner didn't start on Saturday maybe because of a dip in form (mistake against Wolves etc) so players can't sit back and relax. The reserve team is on the surface only a small part of a club but it could have knock on effects to how experienced our young players coming through are in a couple of years.

We are not worthy!!!

Im obviously not saying that players who have left us go nowhere so our youth system is sh**, Im basically stating fact. Now that doesnt mean that we havent got a future superstar within our youth team or we wont in the future BUT you cant keep slinging kids into the squad at the drop of the hat because like it or not, we are in a relegation battle at the moment and we need to be clever at the timing of bringing in some of our kids. Knee-jerk reactions in slinging in even more kids into the first team could burn them out or have damaging effects on there future.

Our lack of goals, our lack of creativity and our place in the League is the biggest argument of all for justifying change but it's hardly a knee-jerk reaction.

We've not had a box-to-box goalscoring midfielder since Joey left and Fryatt has scored two goals since August. In fact our goals record tells its own story and has done for two seasons.

Wenger and Ferguson would play a team full of young players if they felt they were good enough and why not? I didn't hear Arsenal fans complaining at Liverpool.

There's never a "right time" to introduce anyone.

All League games are important either because of relegation issues, play-off issues or because the team wants its win bonuses. You can't wait for "easy" matches to bring people in cos there aren't any. Coping with pressure is part of the job.

Archived