Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lostsole89

"The Urinal Rennie show"

What tosh. How can it ruin football? Refs have been criticised for decades, I see no shortage!

Rugby refs are hardly ever criticised, because they have got it all right as regards training and technology. You don't see them hounded by players, and they tend to be more authoritative, despite the fact that most of the players tower over them. They have the technology these days to ensure that most of the decisions they are unsure about are cleared up. Their 'wiring up' makes for better communication and also makes them more accountable.

If criticising refs and pushing for changes in technology and training helps bring these things about, then keep on criticising!

Using too much technology will slow the game down though. Imagine every decision the ref makes being checked using video evidence. The game would go on for hours and the pace of the game would be ruined.

It would turn out like American football. Goal line technology should definitely be used though

What tosh. How can it ruin football? Refs have been criticised for decades, I see no shortage!

Rugby refs are hardly ever criticised, because they have got it all right as regards training and technology. You don't see them hounded by players, and they tend to be more authoritative, despite the fact that most of the players tower over them. They have the technology these days to ensure that most of the decisions they are unsure about are cleared up. Their 'wiring up' makes for better communication and also makes them more accountable.

If criticising refs and pushing for changes in technology and training helps bring these things about, then keep on criticising!

Rugby Refs as you say have the technology and the rules to suit. Physios can come on the pitch to treat players as soon as they hit the deck with an injury without it spoiling the game and they can also play advantages and go back if the advantage wasnt favourable. They also have the added help of the yellow card sending the player off into the sin-bin which limits the amount of obvious fouls that players make.

Footy refs have no support. They tried to change this by changing the names of linesmen to assistant refs but all they do is bottle the bigger decisions and leave it to the ref. Also football is much quicker than Rugby and still they dont have the technology to assist. On top of that, these little rich footballers say and do what they want. In Rugby you see these 17 stone monsters who approach the ref with respect with there hands behind there banks calling them ref or even sir whilst the footballers, some 12 stone prats approach the refs like they are going to kill them and get away with it.

Its the worst job on the planet as you are guaranteed to cheese off either the home team or away team and its impossible to run a game perfectly without error.

I wish the refs had the power to get really tough and sin bin players because if you did, you would see a more respectful resolve from the player and manager.

I don't think it will slow the game down that much (and it certainly won't make them last for hours!! lol ) as long as the ref only uses it for key decisions which are too close to call, and there aren't really too many of them per game.

By this I mean:

Fouls in or near the area (did he dive or not? Was it in the area?)

A player handling the ball in the area (Did he? Was it hand to ball or ball to hand?)

Off the ball incidents (brawling - who hit who? Did someone put on an oscar performance?)

The Carling cup final could be a case in point. Play was stopped anyway, and the ref could have used someone showing who exactly did what to who.

I agree with you on goal line technology.

Given the financial implications of a wrong decision in the modern game, I believe every effort should be made to make the best decisions, and not rely on 'Swings and Roundabouts'

Rugby Refs as you say have the technology and the rules to suit. Physios can come on the pitch to treat players as soon as they hit the deck with an injury without it spoiling the game and they can also play advantages and go back if the advantage wasnt favourable. They also have the added help of the yellow card sending the player off into the sin-bin which limits the amount of obvious fouls that players make.

Footy refs have no support. They tried to change this by changing the names of linesmen to assistant refs but all they do is bottle the bigger decisions and leave it to the ref. Also football is much quicker than Rugby and still they dont have the technology to assist. On top of that, these little rich footballers say and do what they want. In Rugby you see these 17 stone monsters who approach the ref with respect with there hands behind there banks calling them ref or even sir whilst the footballers, some 12 stone prats approach the refs like they are going to kill them and get away with it.

Its the worst job on the planet as you are guaranteed to cheese off either the home team or away team and its impossible to run a game perfectly without error.

I wish the refs had the power to get really tough and sin bin players because if you did, you would see a more respectful resolve from the player and manager.

Having played rugby and football, this all makes sense to me. Why it isn't obvious to UEFA/FIFA, I don't know....

I have never heard of a match in which rennie has been praised.

Well lets be quite honest - does he even deserve praising? I mean, everytime I've known him to referee for us he's been a ****. I can't remember exactly, but when we got cheated against Chelsea in the cup a fair few years back, I could have sworn Rennie was our referee that night as well. :rolleyes::unsure:

I really don't understand how these guys continue to put in terrible performances.

If I did a "Uriah Rennie" at work I would probably be warned of my conduct and possibly sacked if it continued. This guy has been doing it for YEARS!

Is there really such a shortage of good quality officials that we are effectively forced to put up with utter nonsense week after week?

Should we make the rewards better (and the punishments worse) so as to attract a better calibre of referee?

We have had some right shockers this season (anyone remember old Major Wankface at Colchester earlier this season). Other clubs must be going through the same thing. Therefore surely it's time something was done, whether it be what I've suggested above, video replays etc etc.

So much rides on results nowadays I'm sick of incompetence interfering where it really isn't welcome.

RK should complain to Keith Hackett (you know, like Neil Warnock does after every game they lose) so hopefully we won't get him again.

Everyone should stop moaning about refs or it will ruin football.

Who will want to be a ref in the future with all this critisism after every game?

There only human - they can't get every decision right but if we stop moaning then they might get more decisions right.

I'm a ref at 14 :D

Archived