Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stinkenzo

Matchday 46

Big-name clubs had big weekends last time out in the Championship, with Birmingham and Sunderland going up and Leeds staring into the abyss of relegation.

The promise of the Premiership may be the grand prize for the Blues and the Black Cats, but there is still the lure of going up as champions to play for.

Below them, Derby are definites for the plays-offs, but six other teams are still in with a chance of joining them.

BBC Sport outlines the permutations and Leicester star Matty Fryatt assesses the action.

TITLE RACE

Birmingham go into the final weekend top of the table by a point but face the harder match on paper, with a trip to play-off chasing Preston.

MATCH PREVIEWS

Luton v Sunderland

Preston v Birmingham

However, Preston's form is on the slide at the wrong time of the year and the Blues have won their last two away games, having tasted victory just once in seven league matches on the road before that.

Sunderland, who have an identical number of wins and defeats away from home as their rivals, travel to bottom-placed Luton, who have not won at home in more than two months.

A draw will be enough for Sunderland if Birmingham lose by two goals.

Matty Fryatt's verdict

At the start of the season I thought the three relegated teams from the Premiership would be at the top. So it does not surprise me that Birmingham and Sunderland have won automatic promotion.

They have both had injections of money to help them go for the top flight.

Sunderland have signed some good players while Birmingham brought in Gary McSheffery and Cameron Jerome last summer and added during the season which has kept everyone on their toes.

I fancy Sunderland to definitely beat Luton but I also think Birmingham, who have the harder game, will win at Preston and just take the title by a point.

PLAY-OFFS

Derby are assured of third place, but beneath them there is a mad scramble to make the play-offs down to Colchester in ninth.

MATCH PREVIEWS

Colchester v Crystal Palace

Derby v Leeds

Leicester v Wolves

Preston v Birmingham

QPR v Stoke

Southampton v Southend

West Brom v Barnsley

The U's are rank outsiders, needing a substantial win and heavy defeats for their rivals, while Preston, in eighth, need to beat Birmingham and hope that two of the four teams above them suffer defeats, or three end the day with draws.

Like Preston, Stoke need to hope results go their way so they can gatecrash the play-off places that are currently occupied by West Bromwich Albion, Woverhampton Wanderers and Southampton.

That trio need to forget about the permutations and go all out for victory - particularly Wolves who could get caught short as their goal difference is hugely inferior to any their rivals.

Matty Fryatt's verdict

I think West Brom and Southampton will join Derby and then it is a toss up between Stoke and Wolves - it is almost too hard to call.

Stoke have done really well. They are a physical and tough side who do not give much away.

We play Wolves, who have been the biggest surprise considering the team that Mick McCarthy inherited from last season. He has done a brilliant job going for younger players and adding a bit of experience.

I would not have fancied them to be where they are and their transformation has been brilliant.

RELEGATION

Luton and Southend are down and Leeds opted to join them early by going into administration.

MATCH PREVIEWS

Derby v Leeds

Hull v Plymouth

A late equaliser from Ipswich's Alan Lee at Elland Road last weekend looked to have left Leeds with a mathematical mountain to climb.

Dennis Wise's team knew they needed a win against third-placed Derby, a defeat for Hull at home to Plymouth and a nine-goal swing.

But with Leeds going into administration their 10-point penalty ensures there will be no miracle escape from the drop.

Matty Fryatt's verdict

Leeds needed to win 8-0 and Hull needed to lose 1-0 - so Leeds were down really.

It is a surprise to see where they are given their squad of players.

Things have not gone their way, they replaced their manager and there will have to be a big change around at that club.

You have seen with Nottingham Forest there is no divine right to get out of any league. I cannot imagine what players they will be left with next season, considering their wages and going into administration.

If they keep their players they will look to come straight back up, but it will be difficult as every team will want to beat them.

BBC Sport Link

Archived