Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
J.Lisemore

so..who was your man of the match

MDV was fantastic especially compared to his last couple of seasons. stearman was shockin though and cannot be played this season because he makes far to many mistakes.

How can you compare David James performance to anyone else on that pitch?..If it has to be a City player then Clemence..but for fook sake wake up and smell the coffee..you are all in for a disappointing season if you think we are going to be a quality side over night! :frusty:

Clemence was class, he just shaded Hume as our top player.

David Nugent was awesome for Pompey though. I'd expect him to be an England regular this season. And James showed once more that he's a quality keeper.

Clemence was class, he just shaded Hume as our top player.

David Nugent was awesome for Pompey though. I'd expect him to be an England regular this season. And James showed once more that he's a quality keeper.

Good movement but missed 3 or 4 really good chances, he's not good enough for England.

But what about his goal and the two assists?

I suppose, but if he wants to be an england international he needs to be putting those sort of chances away. V.good player and will do well in the premiership but for England, IMO, he's behind: Rooney, Owen, Bent, Crouch, Johnson, Defoe, Smith and Ashton.

First half MDV, second half Clemence. For Pompey David James and Pedro Mendes.

Interesting dilemma as to starting line up next week. Great to see so much competition in so many areas of the park.

The lad who came on as last sub for leics (no 33) showed some quality defensive work at LB.Anyone know anything about the lad?

Rowe-Turner, who came on, is a second year scholar who didn't play all that many games for the under 18s last season. He was unfortunate that our under 18s last season had a very solid back four. Magunda, Garner, Lycett and Mattock played a big chunk of the games as a defensive unit. I only ever saw Rowe-Turner come on as a substitute last season but when he did he played as a left back who got forward at pace when he got the chance. He's a good carrier of the ball, which at pace is a dangerous skill to have. I don't expect him to be involved in a first team squad again for a long while but he may be given games for the reserves which would be brilliant for him seeing as he wasn't even a regular in the under 18s last season!

Rowe-Turner, who came on, is a second year scholar who didn't play all that many games for the under 18s last season. He was unfortunate that our under 18s last season had a very solid back four. Magunda, Garner, Lycett and Mattock played a big chunk of the games as a defensive unit. I only ever saw Rowe-Turner come on as a substitute last season but when he did he played as a left back who got forward at pace when he got the chance. He's a good carrier of the ball, which at pace is a dangerous skill to have. I don't expect him to be involved in a first team squad again for a long while but he may be given games for the reserves which would be brilliant for him seeing as he wasn't even a regular in the under 18s last season!

Summed up perfectly. He'll doubtless play in various positions to increase his experience and to gauge where he might be best suited. Centre-back, left-back and even left midfield are the likely options.

I suppose, but if he wants to be an england international he needs to be putting those sort of chances away. V.good player and will do well in the premiership but for England, IMO, he's behind: Rooney, Owen, Bent, Crouch, Johnson, Defoe, Smith and Ashton.

Johnson & Defoe are not good enough to play for England. Smith's chance has passed imo but can score goals at Champions League level. Bent and Ashton are about as untested as Nugent which leaves only Crouch, Rooney and Owen who has played about as much football as I have over the last 18 months. Given that we only have three strikers who have scored at the highest standard of club competition (Smith, Rooney, Crouch) last season I think Nugent has a pretty good chance if he has a good season. I think he certainly has the potential to play for England.

Archived