Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stuliasz

Huddersfield Player Ratings

Martin - 7 (though I think he could've reacted better to the first goal)

Defence was a shambles for 60 minutes, and really struggled with clearing corners and set-pieces, hence the low-ish marks:

I thought the defence were quite bizarre, the closing down, link up play and passing seemed quite sweet. It was the positional sense and marking which just seemed totally lacking for the first hour.

I'd also like to see the 1st goal again. It seemed to loop over Martin in slow motion and I also wondered if he could have done any better (apparently Thracian was a couple of rows behind me and his comment on it is pretty similar).

I thought the defence were quite bizarre, the closing down, link up play and passing seemed quite sweet. It was the positional sense and marking which just seemed totally lacking for the first hour.

I'd also like to see the 1st goal again. It seemed to loop over Martin in slow motion and I also wondered if he could have done any better (apparently Thracian was a couple of rows behind me and his comment on it is pretty similar).

Say hello tomorrow if you're in the same seat. :thumbup:

It is difficult to rate this game. We only played for 30 minutes.

I've been trying to think what I could do and I can't get by this salient fact.

The only stand-outs for me were a very poor Gilbert, a below-par first-half from Berner and Cleverley and another piss-poor display from Dyer. And thinking about how bad they were, I still struggle to correlate it to a 4-2 victory.

I can't give them points this week - but I hope we see at least three changes for Tuesday, especially Dyer.

I've been trying to think what I could do and I can't get by this salient fact (they only played for 30 mines).

The only stand-outs for me were a very poor Gilbert, a below-par first-half from Berner and Cleverley and another piss-poor display from Dyer. And thinking about how bad they were, I still struggle to correlate it to a 4-2 victory.

I can't give them points this week - but I hope we see at least three changes for Tuesday, especially Dyer.

Agree with your 60-30 mins analysis, but aren't you being a bit harsh?

- The late withdrawal of Davies must've had some effect;

- Cleverley had probably expected to on the bench, but found himself starting at the last minute, with little training preparation for the role and little experience of L1, his teammates - or big crowds (Man U notwithstanding). He was erratic 1st half (some good, some bad), but that's understandable - it was his 1st game in difficult circumstances; much improved 2nd half, which shows mental strength;

- Huddersfield were 1 of the best teams we've played and had a good game plan, prepared to attack and to close down our defenders/midfielders (Tunchev would've coped better with this, but he's an exception at this level)

- If anything, I think Dyer has looked slightly better / more committed recently, though still well down on early season;

- You're very harsh on Berner, surely?: OK 1st half, MOM for 2nd half performance

- Given some of the height in the team, we should be scoring more from set plays - great that we did this for once;

- Above all, great that a young team playing decent opponents in difficult circs (loss of Tunchev & Davies) had the mental strength and fitness to come back twice and force a win.

That said, I can see a potential defeat against Cobblers, particularly if Akinfenwa is still there with a point to prove...hope I'm wrong.

seeing the goal on telly it did seem to loop over martin at the speed of a balloon. But I have to admit martin does seem to be getting better, perhaps its just building confidence. sun in his eyes? or just an unexpected overhead kick

by the way bod, if thracian was a couple of rows behing you, he's perilously close to me!!!

hello thrac!

Martin 7 - Looks like he's getting better - I'm not sure about the first goal though.

Gilbert 4 - I think everyone would agree he was poor on Saturday. But he's an important player for us and it was just a blip.

Hobbs 7 - Terrible for 60 mins, but got a goal and played well for the last half hour.

Morrison 7 - Ditto

Berner 6 - I really didn't think he was much good at either left back or in centre midfield. He is a very clumsy footballer. Well taken goal though.

Oakley 6.5 - Barely in the game, but excellent set piece delivery again

Cleverly 7 - Again, I think the polar opposite of everyone else. I thought he was better in centre mid than Berner - was neat and tidy and made some probing runs. At right back gave away many fouls early on but once we got on top looked strong, especially going forward.

King 6.5 - As Cleverly was in centre mid, but not penetrative enough

Dyer 4 - Shocking. Good thinking for Fryatt's goal though. Should have brought Gradel on straight after that.

Howard 8 - Not vintage Howard but he played well nonetheless. Won a lot in the air, but as last season, a lot of it went to nobody. last year people got on his back about it, this year they don't. That said, he got 2/3 assists so it's hard to complain too much.

Fryatt 7 - Worked hard for the team as ever and his hold up play is better than Howard's. Probably a handball for his goal but that was the only chance he got and he tucked it away.

Mattock 6 - Kept losing the ball but marked Cadamarteri out of the game.

Dickov n/a - Seriously though, what a knob. Comes on and commits a foul within seconds, shortly after he'd clattered someone else.

seeing the goal on telly it did seem to loop over martin at the speed of a balloon. But I have to admit martin does seem to be getting better, perhaps its just building confidence. sun in his eyes? or just an unexpected overhead kick

by the way bod, if thracian was a couple of rows behing you, he's perilously close to me!!!

hello thrac!

Hi Stig. I was there with my youngest, maybe halfway up and to the right of the goal. Slim Jim and Fat Bastard in glasses! I think we were fairly animated. Nipper loves the crack and gets on at me big time if I don't get involved. As I'd downed a couple of the Barbars beforehand, and the game was a good 'un, it wasn't a problem. :beer::thumbup:

Hi Stig. I was there with my youngest, maybe halfway up and to the right of the goal. Slim Jim and Fat Bastard in glasses! I think we were fairly animated. Nipper loves the crack and gets on at me big time if I don't get involved. As I'd downed a couple of the Barbars beforehand, and the game was a good 'un, it wasn't a problem. :beer::thumbup:

yep, can't be far from me, i'll keep a look out for you. as you can see from my photo i'm a handsome bastard :eek:

Archived