Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Smudge

Obama wants Hayward's Head

Can't be bothered to say more than Obama is being a bit of a fool, but equally BP should face some kind of costs to fix the damage (again though that's ot for Obama to decide).

But mention of conspiracy theories always makes me post this link; http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=af07

Oh & whoever said the damage will be gone in a couple of years is a bit silly.

A decent article in the Daily Mirror shocker. I feel dirty.

Future historians will not ask if President Barack Obama was anti-British – they will wonder exactly how anti-British.

We are accustomed to US leaders who are rather fond of the Brits.

Baby-boomers like Clinton and Bush were listening to Exile On Main Street and Abbey Road as they ducked the draft for the Vietnam War.

An earlier generation of American Presidents like John F Kennedy and George Bush Senior fought alongside the British in the Second World War. Obama is very different.

Reading his book, Dreams From My Father, you are struck repeatedly by his deep antipathy towards the British. Their arrogance in colonial Africa. The cruelty towards the Mau Mau in Kenya. The racism of the British, who called Obama’s Kenyan grand father “boy”, even when he was an old man.

A lot of this is understandable in a man of his heritage.

But it’s ironic Obama seems to bear such a grudge about the Empire while apparently willing to forgive and forget 500 years of slavery in America. If he wants to see what institutionalised racism looks like, then US history is not a bad place to start.

Almost his first act upon entering the Oval office was to remove a bust of Winston Churchill given to the American people in the aftermath of 9/11.

It was a petty and ungracious little act. But Obama’s anti-British prejudice runs deep and now it has finally been allowed to run amok.

Obama’s reaction to the BP oil spill has been hysterical. Despite his loony repetition of the name, the company has not actually been called British Petroleum for 12 years, since merging with American oil company Amoco. BP is about as British as a Big Mac. It is an Anglo-American company.

So why rabbit on about “British Petroleum”? Because Obama – increasingly unpopular in his own country – bizarrely wants to put an entire nation in the dock for the failings of one multinational.

But the average Brit has as much responsibility for the BP oil spill as the ordinary American has for the Union Carbide gas explosion in Bhopal, India, that has blighted a generation. Which is none at all.

Brits sympathise with Americans who are suffering from this environmental catastrophe. Most of us hope people who suffer get every dollar of compensation they deserve.

But it is nothing to do with us, buddy.

The majority of BP’s employees are American. A large chunk of the company is US-owned.

And comparing the oil spill with 9/11, as Obama has done, is plain barmy.

Those attacks were a deliberate and coldly calculated mass murder of more than 3,000 people.

Does Obama really think BP wanted the oil spill?

Obama was once very popular in Britain. I do not think it is overstating the case to say there was real love for him here. But he has never been keen on the British. And he never will be.

Now the affection the British people felt for Obama is fading fast. I suspect it has less to do with his “British Petroleum” rants and more to do with his total lack of gratitude.

Who fought alongside American troops in Iraq and Afghanistan? Who sees their young soldiers coming home in coffins and wheelchairs even as Obama rants about “British Petroleum” on the White House lawn?

The British. And there remains a special bond between this country and the USA that will endure long after Obama has gone.

But it is deeply offensive that the sacrifice of troops in America’s wars means nothing to this fanatically anti-British President.

And I can’t think of a better reason to bring our troops home.

Can't be bothered to say more than Obama is being a bit of a fool, but equally BP should face some kind of costs to fix the damage (again though that's ot for Obama to decide).

Oh & whoever said the damage will be gone in a couple of years is a bit silly.

The damage cannot be fixed no matter how much money BP throw at it.

BP are doing quite a good PR job. They are using toxic chemicals to help keep the oil below the surface so it doesn't look as bad as it is while killing masses of sealife in the Gulf, and eventually further afield. They are stopping proper journalists from doing their jobs with the help of law enforcement.

And Obamas regime are helping BP quite well too. The people in the area needn't worry though as they are going to get food stamps to help them live.

The whole thing is a disgrace and is alot more serious than many people seem to imagine. The oil will continue gushing for who knows how long and this catastrophe will get worse and worse.

Let's get this straight..

America is oil thirsty and built on the greed of rampant capitalism yet they are surprised when a greedy oil firm skimps on safety to maximize profits.

Hmmmmmmmm

Just about sums it up.

I used to have a lot of time for a guy called Anderson Cooper but being out here for the past fortnight and seeing his constant BP bashing has changed my mind. He's now just pandering to the people of the gulf who have been affected by the tragedy.

Don't get me wrong it's tragic what's happened but pointing the finger before a solution has been found is just compounding the problem.

I want his fecking head! All the money those robbing gits have made from their vastly overpriced fuel and theyve apparently skimped on safety on their rigs? (dont know the ins and outs but thats the gist as I understand?

The images of those poor birds on the beaches literally drowning in oil were one of the most distressing things Ive ever seen. Fecking fuming about the damage this has caused. I will never buy fuel from a BP garage again.

Fishing surely?

But if not you do realise by not buying petrol from BP would make little to sweet FA difference to them, it would hurt the local business person who brought into a franchise, and their fuels price level is as much to do with the government as BP themselves and accounts for a minute percentage of their profits. I got asked by someone to boycott BP on facebook which made me laugh, how am I supposed to boycott a company who provides raw materials for all sorts of things from the components in a mobile phone to hair products and even the rubber in shoes? Laughable naivety from people, also these things happen all quite a lot in places ranging from Africa to Scandinavia and no-one could give a rats arse.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived