Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
J.Lisemore

Cunningham in ROI squad

Ah, lies, damned lies and statistics eh? Stats can be massaged to reinforce any point, I could dig some up about Ireland only having lost competitively to France, Italy + Russia in the last 3 seasons, or some such nonsense as you did. The fact is it was a poor game between 2 average sides who arent about to impact on the world game in any way, shape or form.

Or are you about to attempt to argue that Norway are now a world force? because qualifying victories against Iceland, Cyprus and a fading/transitional Portugal (or a 100% record as you idiotically refer to it) do not make you anything other than an average side. Same as Ireland are.

You may qualify, well done if you do, but you wont impact. Roll your eyes at that.

Two sides of the same argument which you both put forward well. No need for the personal abuse though.

Ah, lies, damned lies and statistics eh? Stats can be massaged to reinforce any point, I could dig some up about Ireland only having lost competitively to France, Italy + Russia in the last 3 seasons, or some such nonsense as you did. The fact is it was a poor game between 2 average sides who arent about to impact on the world game in any way, shape or form.

Or are you about to attempt to argue that Norway are now a world force? because qualifying victories against Iceland, Cyprus and a fading/transitional Portugal (or a 100% record as you idiotically refer to it) do not make you anything other than an average side. Same as Ireland are.

You may qualify, well done if you do, but you wont impact. Roll your eyes at that.

ok, calm down - i said nothing against ireland, so i don't know why you are being so agressive...oh, and i'm not even norwegian.

i guess it's all relative,

based on norway's fifa ranking, and performances under drillo, i would say that they are an above average side, not great, not world beaters, but certainly above average; considering there are over 200 ranking nations, a fifa ranking of 12 ( and climbing) suggests they are above average.

as i said, it was the worst performance i had seen from norway under drillo, but considering that half of the team have just completed their season, that was to be expected, especially away from home against an irish team, who i would also class as above average.

i just found it extremely condescending, perhaps even ignorant to use the word average - it smacked of 'bad loser' to me.

oh and while were at it, in the european qualifiers, norway have played 3 won 3, which is 100%, how on earth can you consider this statement to be idiotic.

and a friendly piece of advice, this is generally a very easy going forum, i guess you are new here, but i don't think such antagonistic posting and name calling will go down very well, unless you are just a WUM, in which case, shame on you.

:)

ok, calm down - i said nothing against ireland, so i don't know why you are being so agressive...oh, and i'm not even norwegian.

i guess it's all relative,

based on norway's fifa ranking, and performances under drillo, i would say that they are an above average side, not great, not world beaters, but certainly above average; considering there are over 200 ranking nations, a fifa ranking of 12 ( and climbing) suggests they are above average.

as i said, it was the worst performance i had seen from norway under drillo, but considering that half of the team have just completed their season, that was to be expected, especially away from home against an irish team, who i would also class as above average.

i just found it extremely condescending, perhaps even ignorant to use the word average - it smacked of 'bad loser' to me.

oh and while were at it, in the european qualifiers, norway have played 3 won 3, which is 100%, how on earth can you consider this statement to be idiotic.

and a friendly piece of advice, this is generally a very easy going forum, i guess you are new here, but i don't think such antagonistic posting and name calling will go down very well, unless you are just a WUM, in which case, shame on you.

:)

I wasnt being agressive, nor did I say you had said anything against Ireland, such a delicate little flower you must indeed be, if that was percieved as agression.

I would say FIFA rankings are a bit of a joke, I think ROI were once as high as 4th in them, but some system has to be there I guess, but they are far from an accurate portrait of the world game. I dont think Im alone in that view

I would say the condecension began with your rolling of the eyes gesture to someone who registered on this site some weeks back, just to tell people Cunningham would be joining on loan, before any other site reported it, a fact which also negates the WUM theory of yours.

You now claim Ireland are an above average side, as Norway are, but in the post directly above you stated Ireland were '' a pretty poor side who offered nothing'' and you wonder why you should be regarded with even a shread of credibilty after that? and wonder why that may draw a reaction?

Trumpet wins against minnows 2 + Portugal as a 100% record all you like, as Ive said, stats can be massaged to push any angle and thats a prime example, also a prime example of straw clutching, again just an opinion, I guess its all relative.....

And as for this 'piece of friendly advice to the new guy' thing, that made me laugh out loud, long and hard.

I wasnt being agressive, nor did I say you had said anything against Ireland, such a delicate little flower you must indeed be, if that was percieved as agression.

I would say FIFA rankings are a bit of a joke, I think ROI were once as high as 4th in them, but some system has to be there I guess, but they are far from an accurate portrait of the world game. I dont think Im alone in that view

I would say the condecension began with your rolling of the eyes gesture to someone who registered on this site some weeks back, just to tell people Cunningham would be joining on loan, before any other site reported it, a fact which also negates the WUM theory of yours.

You now claim Ireland are an above average side, as Norway are, but in the post directly above you stated Ireland were '' a pretty poor side who offered nothing'' and you wonder why you should be regarded with even a shread of credibilty after that? and wonder why that may draw a reaction?

Trumpet wins against minnows 2 + Portugal as a 100% record all you like, as Ive said, stats can be massaged to push any angle and thats a prime example, also a prime example of straw clutching, again just an opinion, I guess its all relative.....

And as for this 'piece of friendly advice to the new guy' thing, that made me laugh out loud, long and hard.

boy, and you have the nerve to call me a 'delicate little flower', clearly you have a bee in your bonnet...

fyi - i do think ireland are an above average side, BUT on the day they were pretty poor, perhaps if you were less busy looking for an argument or being grindingly pedantic, you'd have noticed that.

you may not think you are aggressive, but by the standards of this forum your tone is incendiary and over-defensive, and that comes across like your just trying to wind people up.

boy, and you have the nerve to call me a 'delicate little flower', clearly you have a bee in your bonnet...

fyi - i do think ireland are an above average side, BUT on the day they were pretty poor, perhaps if you were less busy looking for an argument or being grindingly pedantic, you'd have noticed that.

you may not think you are aggressive, but by the standards of this forum your tone is incendiary and over-defensive, and that comes across like your just trying to wind people up.

You can jump up and down all you like Valerenga, stamp your little foot and complain bitterly, cry agressive bully, cry WUM or cry whatever it takes to deflect attention from the fact that you posted a pompous, presumptious ill informed account of a game you watched, I challenged these views having also watched the game and piece by piece dismanteled your points, largely through a better knowledge of the subject as a whole and that has been borne out in the ensuing exchanges.

You have been reduced to backtracking and myth, as above you are now claiming you said Ireland were poor 'on the day' ........... Valerenga, read your original post......... this is not what you said. Its indisputably not what you said.

I think by the standards of this fine forum, I make a small but well informed contribution, I have not set out to pick arguements or wind people up, but would say to you if you chose to introduce yourself to someone by adding a 'roll eyes' icon underneath a post as wide of the mark as yours has turned out to be, you should be ready for a lively debate.

England are apparently the 'sixth best team in the world'. I hate reading into the ranking system as I never genuinely trust it.

At the end of the debate, Norway and Ireland are both 'average' sides, much like England are becoming (and deservedly). They are neither teams that other nations would consider table-topping threats nor minnows. Blah blah, boring.

Good on Cunningham for making the squad at his age and I hope he can continue performing reliably.

Apologies for the pointless post. Night y'all :whistle:

The minnows today can get a result from nearly anyone.

What is an average team. For me it's a team not reaching championships without being called minnows.....

Norway under Drillo is an above average because they qualified to two WC and now it seems qualifying for the European Championship. They nearly qualified to the last WC with Drillo as late appointed manager......

Norway under Drillo may be world beaters. Has been and can be. :trumpet:

Remember beating Brasil in'98 to get to the second round.

Archived