Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
J.Lisemore

Cunningham in ROI squad

He signed a 4 year deal at Man City in August, offered by Mancini , here : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1303626/Manchester-City-youngster-Greg-Cunningham-pens-new-impressing-Roberto-Mancini.html and also it was some kind of Italian love in about him between Mancini and Trapatoni (ROI) which led to his being included in Ireland squads before he had done much at first team level in club football, so it seems Mancini rates him.

All good for Ireland and Leicester at present though, he's in the 11 and developing nicely.

Nothing special in my opinion, and neither are the micks so...

Might develop into something but right now I dont see much difference between him and Berner. In fact Berner is probably more potent going forward, if granted he has looked a little iffy in defence of late.

Can people get rid of this Bruno Berner can't do anything wrong mindset. Cunningham is much better going forward than Bruno and his extra pace helps him out if his positioning is a bit off. Bruno is at the end of his career at this level and I wouldn't be suprised if he was sold/leaves in the summer and TK is brought back into the fold.

Cunningham > Berner

another one of our acadamy players had a game last night, elliott chamberlain came on for wales under 21's and scored the winner. He also scored the winner for wales a month ago in their under 19's elite tournement to help them qualify. Just thought i'd let people known as to me it seems very unlikely that this will make it anywhere near the os.

http://www.faw.org.uk/news/1966

i watched this game and particularly followed cunningham.

he was inconsistent to be honest. first half he played very deep and tended to drift inside, and didn't have much to do, i'm guessing he had been told to stay back.

still he made a couple of good blocks and played some nice simple balls.

2nd half he came forward more, but not much, whipping in a great ball and also having a decent run towards the box, though generally he got involved played everything simple and neat, nearly played in norway with a very careless backpass and got caught in possession maybe once or twice.

needless to say, huseklepp skinned him 2 or 3 times in the second half in the corner to get into the box.

it was one of the worst performances i have seen from norway under drillo, with uncharacteristic defensive errors, but even then ireland had nothing to offer and are a pretty poor side, cunningham was definitely as good as any other player, bar Given who kept them in it.

Cunningham's comptitive debut was one of the the only bright spots in a home defeat to an average side in the rain in a two thirds empty stadium, with those who did attend booing a fair bit.

but he did well : http://foot.ie/threads/143402-Norway-Friendly-Nov-17th/page22

an average side who beat france and germany, and have won 11 of their last 14 games, and who are 100% at the top of their euro qualifying group... and ranked 12th in the world... :rolleyes:

but even then ireland had nothing to offer and are a pretty poor side, cunningham was definitely as good as any other player, bar Given who kept them in it.

Worth bearing in mind it was an Ireland squad which had lost as many as ten of its regular team/squad members named in the original squad,for various reasons, significant when operating from as small a player pool as Ireland are. So to dismiss them as a 'pretty poor side' is inaccurate at best, and a very ill informed comment to make.

an average side who beat france and germany, and have won 11 of their last 14 games, and who are 100% at the top of their euro qualifying group... and ranked 12th in the world... :rolleyes:

Ah, lies, damned lies and statistics eh? Stats can be massaged to reinforce any point, I could dig some up about Ireland only having lost competitively to France, Italy + Russia in the last 3 seasons, or some such nonsense as you did. The fact is it was a poor game between 2 average sides who arent about to impact on the world game in any way, shape or form.

Or are you about to attempt to argue that Norway are now a world force? because qualifying victories against Iceland, Cyprus and a fading/transitional Portugal (or a 100% record as you idiotically refer to it) do not make you anything other than an average side. Same as Ireland are.

You may qualify, well done if you do, but you wont impact. Roll your eyes at that.

Archived