Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Alan Smith - Overated, Arrogant and Big-headed

SMITH IS LEFT FUMING BY 'SNUB' FROM SVEN

STRIKER Alan Smith was left fuming after originally being left out of the England team to face the USA on Saturday night.

The Manchester United star let rip at Sven Goran Eriksson's assistant Steve McClaren in front of stunned fans in a Chicago hotel lobby after Southampton's Peter Crouch was picked ahead of him. Smith, however, did start the match after Crouch pulled out of the game with an ankle injury.

One fan said: "Smith shouted 'Sven's got it wrong. I want to be there'. He was saying 'I can't believe I have come out here and I'm not in the team'.

"Steve was trying to calm him down but Smithy was having none of it."

Source - Mirror

Source - Sun

What the hells he done to deserve an England place this season? Crouch has been far superior, shut it Smith.

117452[/snapback]

I agree, Smith has hardly played for Man Utd this season and cant really complain whereas Crouch has been much improved this year and has deserved his place in the England squad.

smiffy throws his weight around every now and again and expects a startin place , far more strikers in front of him

I've always said Smith is overrated - It's a sad state of affairs when he starts for England. I'd have Crouch or Heskey in the England team over him any day.

Smith's only redeeming talent is the ability to be a pest ala Dickov - He's extremely average in all other areas of his game.

I like Alan Smith purely because of his never say die attitude. He is very much an old fashioned striker. Chases every single ball down and makes some great challenges. He does seem arrogant but that comes with his game. Take that away and he would be an ordinary player.

Smith is a quality player and is most certainly better than Peter Crouch and Andy Johnson. His biggest mistake was going to Man United who were always going to sign Rooney which has meant Smith was knocked down the pecking order.

He might be arrogant, but he's a ****ing good footballer. His attributes are very rare in footballers in this day and age and he's a defenders nightmare. I've always said Dickov is a poor man's Alan Smith and I think Smith doesn't get the credit he is deserved.

He scored about 9 goals in his first 10-15 games for Man Utd then Rooney arrived, who knows what season he would of had if Rooney hadn't signed.

He's definately not over-rated, under-rated if anything. He should leave United and sign for Newcastle, if he is playing regularly he'll soon be commanding an England place.

Smith is a quality player and is most certainly better than Peter Crouch and Andy Johnson. His biggest mistake was going to Man United who were always going to sign Rooney which has meant Smith was knocked down the pecking order.

He might be arrogant, but he's a ****ing good footballer. His attributes are very rare in footballers in this day and age and he's a defenders nightmare. I've always said Dickov is a poor man's Alan Smith and I think Smith doesn't get the credit he is deserved.

He scored about 9 goals in his first 10-15 games for Man Utd then Rooney arrived, who knows what season he would of had if Rooney hadn't signed.

He's definately not over-rated, under-rated if anything. He should leave United and sign for Newcastle, if he is playing regularly he'll soon be commanding an England place.

117673[/snapback]

Agree with every word there Hoof. :thumbsup: Smith is one of my favourite players, pure class.

I'd be worried if Alan Smith wasn't upset by Peter Crouch and Andy Johnson being picked ahead of him, he is far more talented than the two of them.

He will be molded into a midfielder by Fergurson, I am certain of it and he'll be a very useful international for years to come. Players with that commitment coupled with natural talent don't coem around that often.

It's the issue of potential again; he has it, but doesn't seem to have done a lot with it yet. However, he certainly believes the hype about himself, and I don't like that. Confidence is one thing, but when it turns to arrogance, it's not very endearing.

It's the issue of potential again; he has it, but doesn't seem to have done a lot with it yet.  However, he certainly believes the hype about himself, and I don't like that.  Confidence is one thing, but when it turns to arrogance, it's not very endearing.

118016[/snapback]

All good footballers have a touch of arrogance and why shouldn't they! To succeed as a footballer you've got to be so mentally tough and if your arrogant the mental side isn't a problem for you.

I think Smith has done very well at Leeds and started off really well at Man United, but he will be ruined if he doesn't force his way in to United's team. He had a horrible disciplinary record but he's grown up alot since then and he's a more complete player, still not produced it for England but time will tell.

Out of the strikers who are on the fringes of the England squad, Smith is the best by far apart from Defoe. I think England need to utilise these two more though as we can't always rely on Rooney and Owen. Defoe and Smith have 2 goals between them in about 25 games, which isn't good enough. But it's hard in international football to feed off scraps, both of them should of started the two games just played in my opinion.

If you ever hear Smith speak he isn't as arrogant as you might think. He absolutely loves football and it's his whole life. Doesn't spend much money and lives a very normal life, not that that indicates whether he's arrogant or not but he certainly isn't in the same mould as Bellamy, Pennant and a few other chancers that piss around all the while.

It's the issue of potential again; he has it, but doesn't seem to have done a lot with it yet.  However, he certainly believes the hype about himself, and I don't like that.  Confidence is one thing, but when it turns to arrogance, it's not very endearing.

118016[/snapback]

All good footballers have a touch of arrogance and why shouldn't they! To succeed as a footballer you've got to be so mentally tough and if your arrogant the mental side isn't a problem for you.

118031[/snapback]

That's why I made the distinction between condidence and arrogance; often these two are, in my opinion, confused. It's a subjective thing anyway, arrogance to me, might be confidence to another, if you see what I mean :ermm::S

I think I've started to confuse myself again..... :ph34r:

Prefer Johnson myself, he puts in just as much effort as Smith and doesn't give me concerns that he'll smack someone. Smith could well have outscored AJ this season had he kept his place and maintained his early form, but i don't really remember him being prolific at Leeds, even when they were a top side.

Have to see if Johnson can continute his form over the last few years but he's done it with a struggling team, as a lone striker. I really don't understand the need to knock him.

Anyway, Smith is better than Crouch but, although i'm slightly biased, not Heskey imo as Bruno's better in the air, probably just as quick and can't be much worse of a finisher.

Archived