Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kenny

O'Neill for England?

The Football Association are split over who should be the long-term successor to Sven-Goran Eriksson as England head coach. Steve McClaren, who will sit alongside Eriksson in the Giants Stadium dug-out for tonight's friendly with Colombia, remains the favourite within Soho Square, though there has been talk in certain senior quarters of Martin O'Neill and, to a lesser extent, Peter Taylor. :blink::blink::blink: Sam Allardyce is not considered a contender, despite his good work with Bolton Wanderers.

The FA are publicly resolutely supportive of Eriksson, who is guiding England confidently down the qualification road to the 2006 World Cup, but the minds of some FA officials are drifting towards next summer, and Eriksson's anticipated departure after the finals in Germany.

One FA dignitary remarked that O'Neill would be a "terrific" appointment, a real boon for the England players because of his man-management skills. As one high-ranking official observed, O'Neill's work with Leicester City proved his alchemist's touch, while he then proved he can work with "star players" like Henrik Larsson during his time at Celtic.

Others within Soho Square argue privately that O'Neill's Northern Ireland roots would make him difficult to appoint. Given the political sensitivities that would inevitably be stirred up, the Ulsterman would probably not be interested in England anyway.

Another leading figure within the FA rightly pointed out that O'Neill has "other issues" in his life to address, namely the serious illness of his wife. O'Neill has taken a sabbatical to care for his wife. Yet the admiration expressed about him by FA officials reflects the high regard in which O'Neill is held in England. When he does decide to return to football, he will not be short of offers from ambitious Premiership clubs.

Another former Leicester manager, Taylor, has backers within the FA and is excelling as England Under-21 manager. A former caretaker of the senior team, Taylor was the man who appointed David Beckham as England captain and the Hull City manager remains popular among the England players.

Yet McClaren is expected to be appointed as England's head coach when Eriksson stands down. The Middlesbrough manager "ticks many of the boxes" of what the FA desire of the next coach, according to an FA official. McClaren oversees many of the England training sessions and is the most vocal presence in the dug-out, often coming to the touchline to bark instructions. The former Manchester United assistant coach is well liked by the players and his elevation would maintain continuity.

England face Colombia here tonight to end a successful mini-tour that briefly strayed into controversial waters yesterday. After training, two of England's Manchester United players, Alan Smith and Phil Neville, posed in front of a banner promoting the club's United States Supporters Club with the United crest entwined with the Stars and Stripes.

This was immediately perceived as a PR coup for Malcolm Glazer, the American businessman who has just taken control of Old Trafford. "Manchester United set it up," said an FA spokesman.

Smith has distanced himself from reports that he had a "bust-up" with McClaren when told he would be on the bench for Saturday's win over the United States in Chicago. When Peter Crouch injured an ankle, Smith was promoted to the starting line-up.

"To say I had a bust-up is wrong," Smith explained. "I wouldn't say I was upset. I was just disappointed. I came on this trip to play and if I wasn't disappointed, there would be something wrong. Everybody here is hoping to get to the World Cup and I'm no different. I don't have any regrets about what I said."

I think o'neill would be an awesome england manager, would be perfect for him as he could spend more time with his wife etc. He would be quality, as for Taylor??? Cant belive these two are even mentioned in the same sentence.

Archived