Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox 4 Life

Australian Defender

Timpano not Coming:

Timpano back after Leicester trial

July 15, 2005 - 7:20PM

Page Tools

* Email to a friend

* Printer format

Sydney FC will be bolstered by the return of Young Socceroo defender Jacob Timpano for its opening A-League Pre-Season Cup clash with New Zealand next week.

Timpano has arrived back in Sydney after spending a week trialling for English first division side Leicester City.

While he missed out on securing a contract with the club, the 20-year-old said he was keen to rejoin the Sydney squad ahead of the start of the pre-season tournament.

"I learnt a few things over there that will hopefully help me here, and now I just want to train and play well for Sydney FC," Timpano said.

"It was a tough week over there and all we did was run pre-season training for five days before an in-house game... and a reserve squad trial.

"I played pretty well and did everything I was asked but I think in the end they were looking for someone with more experience."

Timpano caught the eye of Leicester scouts while representing Australia at the World Youth Cup in the Netherlands last month.

He headed to London on a days notice after the tournament with the blessing of Sydney FC coach Pierre Littbarski.

"I am very thankful that Pierre and the club let me go over to Leicester, especially at such short notice but my mind (now) is focused on the Pre-Season Cup," Timpano said.

Sydney FC takes on the New Zealand Knights at Aussie Stadium on Saturday July 23. It will be the club's first appearance in Sydney.

© 2005 AAP

Brought to you by aap

Heinz

Archived