Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
maverickx4

Physicality in football

I used to love watching someone like Stuart Pearce making a fair tackle which usually left the winger in Row C of the stand, but try that today and it's probably a red card.

Do you prefer the modern game where skillful players are free to dazzle us with their skills, or would you rather see physical challenges make a comeback?

I used to love watching someone like Stuart Pearce making a fair tackle which usually left the winger in Row C of the stand, but try that today and it's probably a red card.

Do you prefer the modern game where skillful players are free to dazzle us with their skills, or would you rather see physical challenges make a comeback?

Both would be ideal.

What I want to see are players like George Best using their skill and ability to avoid being hit with heavy challenges and occasionally being thwarted by super tackles. Not players who jump 10 foot in the air, roll around for 5 minutes and pretend the world has ended whenever a player wraps his foot around trying to get the ball.

If the tackle is fair then 95% of the time it's fine. Dangerous tackles are outlawed and rightly so.

The tackle itself seems to have changed nowadays though. I have no idea where this two-footed lunge has come from. I can't even imagine why players do it, it's so unnatural and that's without even considering the fact that they know it will be a red card 100% of the time.

Most players seem to be a lot softer as well. I come from a Rugby background so my opinion is clearly biased but I'd be genuinely embarrassed to be seen rolling around like you see a lot of players these days after a clip on the heels. I've played football for clubs and school and I loved crunching tackles. Whenever I could I'd try and take out the player as well to be intimidating (not in a dangerous way, just taking them off their feet). Enough players get on with it but there are way too many that will roll around like their legs been broken trying to get the tackler punished in someway by making it seem a lot more dangerous than it was.

So I guess I feel that if more real men played the sport, there was less desperation to win at all costs (money?) then tackling wouldn't have gone the way it has.

I'm a centre back and love to make big tackles! Playing the ball and the man, nothing is beyter as a defender! I absolutely hate it when players feel the need to roll around on the floor like they've been shot by a sniper, when they're heels have been clipped!

Archived