Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ThurnbyLodgeFox

16 years ago today

Loved this moment, the crowd I was with that day were all pretty high up and to the left side of the goal - and initially we thought it had gone wide but the shot had nestled into the top of the goal!Thn the realisation of what it meant saw us all go ballistic! Also the way we played against Palace that day and scoring the late, late winner in the manner we did via Claridge's supposed shin - wow! All in all it rounded off a season of great uncertainty in the best possible way - and the next four years that followed this day under MON were the best I've ever experienced following City!

For us oldies, it's watching back through vids like these that actually make you feel privileged that we were fans through the MON years.

Frequent trips to Wembley, not finishing outside of the top 10 in the Prem, great goals, great matches, UEFA cup etc etc...

Miself and mi mates, all 40 somethings, genuinely look back and believe that future days for City may well actually NEVER be as good as this.

Never say never, of course, but I'd be genuinely pushed to find any of the current squad to even touch most of what we had back then in all honesty.

This is why we get so pissed off when Matt Mills throws his toys out the pram (compare him to Walshy), when Beckford falls on his arse again (compare him to Claridge, Cottee) and when Gally wimps out of a tackle (compare him to Savage..although Savage IS a willy puller!)

When you've experienced such Halcyon days, its difficult not to make such comparisons...maybe we shouldnt, maybe we can't help it.

The biggest difference that I can think between then and now is, back then, we actually went into games fearing no-one.. whether it be Liverpool, United, the Arsenal etc... all would come down to Filbert St knowing they'd have a bloody game on their hands. Sure, we didn't always win em, but we would kick-off most matches, whether home or away, feeling that we had 'half a chance'.

Alas, feelings long since gone away..can we get them back? I don't know? My mates have given up and stopped going when we appointed Sven as manager. I've not, but God, it would be nice to get some excitement back at the club. The best day for me last season was the away win at Norwich... a little snippet of how it used to be all those years ago.

Fingers crossed an all that..

:blush:

When I heard the whistle I thought it was the full time one instead of the free kick it happened so quickly. As has been said that silence that could have only lasted a second seem like eternity but once we realised it had gone in we hugged complete strangers and danced like puppets on speed.

But the thing we did not know ( and how could we ) was this was just the beginning of the greatest period in the clubs history , with all those great years under MON, and that the very next season not only would we survive in the Prem but we would finish tenth and win the League cup after yet another trip to Wembley .Halcyon days indeed.

If I ever need to cool down, I will just read this thread, every comment just gets the goosebumps going.

It really was a truly magical moment, more so than anything I have ever experienced in football or pretty much anything, and shared in the same way by some many thousands of people.

I wonder if Palace fans, experienced the silence before the storm, a pause, a glitch in the matrix, whatever it was followed by 40 thousand people groaning.

Archived