Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Off Side Law Changes

Apparentely linesmen have been instructed not to flag for offside until the offending player actually touches the ball, even managers don't know about it never mind the fans - cue lots more abuse for the linesman. :w00t: :w00t:

LINK - Yes I know it involves the moaning Rednapp but it still the case.

This happened in the Confed Cup. its a crazy rule!!!! Ridiculous!

What are FIFA doing to the game!

Why dont they make it simple, if an offending player is behind the line of defence when the ball is played then he offside. Whether he is interfering or not! Simple as....there is no confusion. Even if the offending player is walking back!

Why dont they make it simple, if an offending player is behind the line of defence when the ball is played then he offside. Whether he is interfering or not! Simple as....there is no confusion. Even if the offending player is walking back!

137797[/snapback]

Because that would be even more annoying.

If that was implemented, then if the ball was hoofed into one corner and a player was in the other corner walking back from an offside position then he'd be flagged.

I'd find incidents like that much more irritating.

137797[/snapback]

If that was implemented, then if the ball was hoofed into one corner and a player was in the other corner walking back from an offside position then he'd be flagged.

137909[/snapback]

Thats a bloody good point, that is.

I seen the new law in the argie brazil game and that was farcical.

Why dont we just get rid of offsides? Lets face it, whatever the rule of offside law is, its an annoying law. How many goals have we lost out to because of its negativeness.

They should reduce it to an area level with the edge of the penalty area, after all it was brought in to stop 'goal hanging' that hardly applies on the halfway line.

Whats wrong with goal hanging, players like lineker and rush kinda made their living doing that.

138223[/snapback]

Never said there was, I said the rule was introduced, 100 years ago probably to prevent attackers standing on the goal line next to the goalie, remember also that you could barge the goalie into the goal then, well until the late sixties actually. This why I suggessted moving it to the edge of the penalty area. Besides Lineker and Rush still had to contend with the offside law.

137797[/snapback]

137909[/snapback]

Yes, that's the way it should be imo. We have seen a few high profile cases where a player is blatently offside and way ahead of the defenders but is not interfering with play so is not deemed offside, only for him to run in line with his teammate who wasn't offside originally and then slot the ball home.

If offside was given whenever a player was behind the defence, regardless of interference or not, then there would be very little amibiguity. Besides, players who are blatently offside should put some thought and effort into their play and stay onside at all times, instead of using the 'not interefering' card.

,Jul 14 2005, 1:55 PM]

137797[/snapback]

137909[/snapback]

Yes, that's the way it should be imo. We have seen a few high profile cases where a player is blatently offside and way ahead of the defenders but is not interfering with play so is not deemed offside, only for him to run in line with his teammate who wasn't offside originally and then slot the ball home.

If offside was given whenever a player was behind the defence, regardless of interference or not, then there would be very little amibiguity. Besides, players who are blatently offside should put some thought and effort into their play and stay onside at all times, instead of using the 'not interefering' card.

139042[/snapback]

Then flag if he inteferes, rather than flagging before assuming that he will.

Also what if a player is down injured, or if a player has charged down a goal kick and it's headed straight back towards the goalkeeper so the player's still there.

I personally would find it irritating if, for instance in teh latter case, the ball went straight into the keepers arms because the player just left it, yet the ref stopped play and made the keeper take a free kick, games would become much more start-stop.

I say if they're not intefering, don't flag them.

If they do intefere, flag 'em.

• 2 weeks later...

The interpretation for being in the offsides position has also changed. It used to be that the offender's torso had to be past the second to last defender. It has been changed to any part of the body except for the arms and hands.

Archived