Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ousefox

Jake Bugg

Excellent performer and I don't want to pi ss on anybody's bonfire here, or even in their chips, but this guy has been helpfully put together and marketed by his label.

He is Dylan-esque in his delivery and there are elements of other influences there too and you'd have to rate his apparent list of influences as a pretty immaculate list for a folk troubadour BUT...

All of his songs were either written by someone else, co-written by someone else or extensively re-arranged and tweaked by someone else.

That's not to do him down, but anyone who thinks he's an awesome song-writer and the new.... well, the new anybody from an age when folk music had a bit of integrity is kidding themselves.

I like the album, but reckon its maybe 4 songs too long. There are a couple of weak tracks there and to use a Dylan comparison.. one of the enduring questions about Dylan is why he has repeatedly left great great songs off of albums altogether, or opted to use 'inferior' versions, if Bugg wants to learn something from Dylan it could be something along those lines. I realise that doesn't make sense, but I know what I mean.

Its in my car stereo currently and I do enjoy it, but lets not get carried away here.

• 3 months later...

Excellent performer and I don't want to pi ss on anybody's bonfire here, or even in their chips, but this guy has been helpfully put together and marketed by his label.

He is Dylan-esque in his delivery and there are elements of other influences there too and you'd have to rate his apparent list of influences as a pretty immaculate list for a folk troubadour BUT...

All of his songs were either written by someone else, co-written by someone else or extensively re-arranged and tweaked by someone else.

That's not to do him down, but anyone who thinks he's an awesome song-writer and the new.... well, the new anybody from an age when folk music had a bit of integrity is kidding themselves.

I like the album, but reckon its maybe 4 songs too long. There are a couple of weak tracks there and to use a Dylan comparison.. one of the enduring questions about Dylan is why he has repeatedly left great great songs off of albums altogether, or opted to use 'inferior' versions, if Bugg wants to learn something from Dylan it could be something along those lines. I realise that doesn't make sense, but I know what I mean.

Its in my car stereo currently and I do enjoy it, but lets not get carried away here.

Where have you heard that? I was reading an interview with him and listened to one that's on iPlayer at the moment and he seems to have written them all himself, but just with a few tweaks from another artist who I've forgotten.

Going to see him at the Barbican in York which is a couple of hundred metres from my house on Friday so that should be good. Will be the last time he plays there I'm sure. Tickets selling for mental prices on eBay

Archived