Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

Strachan

Television ceefax reports Strachan as apparently defending the Balde tackle which may have ruined Wes's career.

If true it comes as no surprise. As usual people in a position to help stamp out such incidents simply sidestep responsibility, presumably in the name of team spirit and club unity.

Having watched the incident time and again, I have no idea how Balde will eventually defend a tackle which many have described in terms that would suggest it was virtually indefensible.

It's nothing new, of course. Diouf and various others have recently brought shame on the game only to find managers prepared to champion their cause. Now, if proven guilty, it would appear to be the same wiith Strachan and Balde.

An apology from player and manager was always unlikely and why? Not because either doesn't regret what happened. Oh no. The reason is because it hints at guilt for any potential action the victim or the FA might take and there, of course, lies Strachan's dilemna.

Any action he might take or any words he might say in criticism of Balde might add to the ammunition against his player...so he seeks to talk the incident down. Damage limitation if you like.

Well, I've news for Mr Strachan. A young player's career lies in potential tatters and Balde should answer before the FA (at the very least) and probably before a court of law (unless some realistic form of settlement is offered) for what many have seen and described as being a "despicable tackle", in their opinion.

Strachan has two choices. Either he holds his hands up and agrees with the many that the tackle was out of order. Or, he defends the tackle and if the verdict goes against the player becomes an accessory to seeking to avoid that player being punished.

Not a comfortable position for a manager.

But just as players are asked often enough to be role models so managers have their own responsibilities to the game.

If someone does something which is proved to do something demonstrably wrong, something which is proved to have seriously injurous consequences or which badly tarnishes the image of the game (or both), they should be punished.

It will certainly be interesting to hear how Balde counters the allegations that he recklessly (or even, perhaps, deliberately) hurt his opponent with lasting and possiibly permanent consequences.

Presumably there has been no word from him yet about the incident because of legal or managerial advice guarding against potential consequences. But no-one should be in any doubt that he should HAVE TO answer for his actions. I'm just not sure the FA has sufficient authority to rule effectively and fairly.

Good points there, Thracian.

From a neutral/Celtic point of view, the stance Strachan has adopted is understandable. I'm sure if someone like McCarthy did that to a Celtic 17 year old (I'm not saying or inferring he would, just using it as an example) then Levein would perhaps mirror how Strachan has approached the whole sitiation so far.

What Balde did was beyond shocking, and I expect disciplinary action to follow as I can't see the FA/SFA not seeing the tackle as unintentional. The issue here is how severe the FA/SFA view it and what course of action they'll take.

Strachan is a legend, and I know for a fact that he thinks Balde is a dirty hacking **** just like everyone else does, Celtic fans included. He just can't go out in public and call his best defender (sad that that lump of shit is his best centre half, eh?) a malicious criminal... He'd become a hate figure for Celtic fans (again...)

I can understand Levein's anger, and any manager would make a similar statement under the circumstances.

Strachan should have said nothing, whether in defence or mitigating his player. However he, like many others in football, find it difficult to keep his mouth shut.

When it happens to one of Strachan's players, I hope he doesn't start adopting the 'blame culture' he is so critical of.

Archived