Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
theessexfox

Andy Andy King

Please. . . . let's look at Andy King's contribution and influence on balance. Yes, he played well in the two-legs of the play-offs but I am surprised that some contributors to this thread feel we should be building a team around him and Matty James.

In the cold light of day, King has been largely poor since the promotion season in League 1. Although he wasn't popular with everyone, Matt Oakley with King were consistently good in League 1 and Oakley's experience clearly enhanced King's game throughout the campaign. Although he's put in some good performances, King has also struggled with injury and during the spells he's been back in the side, he has simply not performed consistently well. He goes 'missing' for long periods, does not break up play consistently and certainly does not trigger enough attacking moves in instances when he is supposed to be the more attack-minded central midfield player.

It's no good harping on about 'loyalty' as if it were a badge for him being great; consistent outstanding performances over a long period help to make a player 'great' (although this is an overused expression in football).

One of the key problems we've faced in the Championship is the lack of being able to dominate midfield. If we had done so in many more games this season, the likes of Nugent and latterly Wood would have perhaps had far more scoring opportunities and there would have been less pressure on our defence during the long haul between Feb and April. More importantly, we would not have got muscled out of numerous games this season - a tactical option which some switched-on managers in the Championship adopted because they knew we would struggle. I'm afraid King was central to this problem. I believe this is why Pearson signed Drinkwater, believing (wrongly) that he could provide the steel we've needed.

If you recall, when we last got promoted from the Championship, this was certainly not due to any managerial brilliance - it was much more down to having by far and away the best midfielder in the division in Izzet, who could dominate match after match virtually on his own. Although times have changed, its no coincidence that Watford's strongest suit was their dynamic midfield (yes I am not too impressed with their loan approach either but their player recruitment has worked). In the 2nd leg, we were over-run, likewise during the previous league match at home (before the play-offs), same thing happened.

Over 46 matches next season, I feel that King & James will not provide us with the midfield platform we need to sustain a top 4 finish. During the summer, I expect to see an experienced influential central midfield being signed and maybe even a further midfield player added to give us long overdue options to play 3 in the centre as is the norm. Personally, I'd play Knocky as a free roaming central mid and play the 3-5-2 system deployed successfully by GOD during the great times at Filbert Street. Occasionally we might play 4-4-2 at home I guess.

If we got an offer for King (at best realistically £1m) we should take it and move on.

All I can say is I'm glad you're not managing the club.

In the cold light of day, King has been largely poor since the promotion season in League 1. 

You're joking right? He scored double figures in 09-10 and 10-11, and played well in both seasons, and had some good patches in the season just gone. How can a player have two good seasons and another decent season in 4 years and be largely poor during that time?

Archived