Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
theessexfox

Andy Andy King

He's played like that for most of the season! Granted today he was obviously putting in a little extra but its not different from how he normally is

Been quite hit and miss but when he performs he doesnt half perform, one man who you can count on for a performance in a big game and on the way to being a city legend imo

I agree he had a good game overall today, shame he or Nugent didn't step up to take the penno (I know Nugent isn't a penalty taker, but I think experience should have trumped a young player taking it)

BUT... If you can stomach watching the replay of the penno miss/their goal again, he has a big opportunity to put a challenge in on their player running down the right wing and basically just jogs beside him before finally letting him run on.  :(

Guest ttfn

Top fact of the day:

Since the war, only 5 Leicester City youth team products have made more first team appearances than Andy King, and only 3 outfield players.

Firstly, i think King is a good player but he has been an ever present fixture in the teams that have failed to win promotion for the past few season.  Is it time to make a brave decision and move him on or can he be part of the team that will get us there!  I just do not know.

Firstly, i think King is a good player but he has been an ever present fixture in the teams that have failed to win promotion for the past few season.  Is it time to make a brave decision and move him on or can he be part of the team that will get us there!  I just do not know.

Our failure to get promotion is all at King's hands, silly me  :dunno:

His defensive work was exceptional. Shame he couldn't get into more attacking positions again. What a waste having such a talented goal scorer being forced to get in last ditched tackles on the edge of our own penalty area.

Agree, his defensive work has improved.  I am struggling to find another midfielder similar to kingy.  Any suggestions? 

Agree, his defensive work has improved.  I am struggling to find another midfielder similar to kingy.  Any suggestions? 

The only one that I really draw any comparison to is Lampard. Very similar in terms of defensive work, running style, tackling, passing style and off the ball movement. Obviously Lampard isn't at King's level just yet though  :ph34r:

So on that basis we should consider moving him out is what you said! Nonsense. 

I was merely posing a point that it may be time for a re-think.  Yes he played well in the play offs but does he do enough throughout the whole season...not so sure.

Always rathed him and always will, great sevant for the club. But as football fans some of us are very fickle and love to slate him when he has a bad spell. Its not often in these modern times that footballers show loyalty, Andy King has shown it. Could be 1 half of a great centre midfield..

Agree with the comparison player wise of King to Lamps in how they play, how they break play up and distribute

I have rated King for years and feel that after Wes he is natural successor to regaining the captaincy, I feel he might have got it too early before, lets just make sure we keep him along with James and build our new team around them

I say again having King defending so often, like he did exceptionally against Watford is a fookin waste. This is as a result of the 4-4-2 and the midfielders dual role.

I still want to see someone sitting off the back four to help the defence, to give licence to King to do what he does best ie making those runs into the opposition box.

The number of goals scored by King is paltry compared to the number of goals he could score. That's because he's being played in this system.

I really wish Pearson would look at this.

Junior Lewis ???

Sorry, but you're all getting carried away on the Andy King wave ..........for the majority of the season he was inept,inert & invisible !!!

Just not influentially consistent either in defence or attack !!!

Junior Lewis ???

Sorry, but you're all getting carried away on the Andy King wave ..........for the majority of the season he was inept,inert & invisible !!!

Just not influentially consistent either in defence or attack !!!

Possibly because the formation we play forces him to do a bit of both? 

Please. . . . let's look at Andy King's contribution and influence on balance. Yes, he played well in the two-legs of the play-offs but I am surprised that some contributors to this thread feel we should be building a team around him and Matty James.
In the cold light of day, King has been largely poor since the promotion season in League 1. Although he wasn't popular with everyone, Matt Oakley with King were consistently good in League 1 and Oakley's experience clearly enhanced King's game throughout the campaign. Although he's put in some good performances, King has also struggled with injury and during the spells he's been back in the side, he has simply not performed consistently well. He goes 'missing' for long periods, does not break up play consistently and certainly does not trigger enough attacking moves in instances when he is supposed to be the more attack-minded central midfield player.

It's no good harping on about 'loyalty' as if it were a badge for him being great; consistent outstanding performances over a long period help to make a player 'great' (although this is an overused expression in football).
One of the key problems we've faced in the Championship is the lack of being able to dominate midfield. If we had done so in many more games this season, the likes of Nugent and latterly Wood would have perhaps had far more scoring opportunities and there would have been less pressure on our defence during the long haul between Feb and April. More importantly, we would not have got muscled out of numerous games this season - a tactical option which some switched-on managers in the Championship adopted because they knew we would struggle. I'm afraid King was central to this problem. I believe this is why Pearson signed Drinkwater, believing (wrongly) that he could provide the steel we've needed.

If you recall, when we last got promoted from the Championship, this was certainly not due to any managerial brilliance - it was much more down to having by far and away the best midfielder in the division in Izzet, who could dominate match after match virtually on his own. Although times have changed, its no coincidence that Watford's strongest suit was their dynamic midfield (yes I am not too impressed with their loan approach either but their player recruitment has worked). In the 2nd leg, we were over-run, likewise during the previous league match at home (before the play-offs), same thing happened.

Over 46 matches next season, I feel that King & James will not provide us with the midfield platform we need to sustain a top 4 finish. During the summer, I expect to see an experienced influential central midfield being signed and maybe even a further midfield player added to give us long overdue options to play 3 in the centre as is the norm. Personally, I'd play Knocky as a free roaming central mid and play the 3-5-2 system deployed successfully by GOD during the great times at Filbert Street. Occasionally we might play 4-4-2 at home I guess.

If we got an offer for King (at best realistically £1m) we should take it and move on.

Archived