Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ashley

Leicester City Fans v Doncaster Rovers Fans: Memorial Alliance Cup

it's only taken me over a month to say this but the thread title is doing my head in every time I come on the board.

Leiceater. argh!!

• 2 weeks later...

Leicester City and Doncaster Rovers fans team up to raise £2000 in memory of tragic supporters

By Leicester Mercury  |  Posted: August 12, 2014

By Alan Thompson

6727115-large.jpg

Fans of Leicester City and Doncaster Rovers lined up to remember the lives of tragic supporters Roger Evans and Ray Dunning

Comments (0)

A fans' fixture in memory of two football supporters who died in separate incidents weeks apart at Leicester City's King Power stadium raised more than £2,000 for charity.

A team of City fans played against Doncaster Rovers supporters in memory of Roger Evans and Ray Dunning.

City fan Roger, 70, from Desborough, Northamptonshire, was rushed to hospital from the stadium, in April, but died soon afterwards.

Three-and-a-half weeks later, Doncaster supporter Ray, 42, collapsed during City's last home game of the season and died at the Leicester Royal Infirmary that night.

A Facebook group, called Leicester City and Doncaster Rovers Alliance, was set up to encourage both sets of fans to come together.

The match was played on Sunday at Quorn FC's ground.

Roger's widow, Dawn Dix, 69, led out the Leicester side, with Ray's widow, Ange, leading out the visitors.

The game, which was played mostly in the rain, raised more than £2,000 for the Glenfield Heart Unit – chosen by Dawn.

A return fixture, at Doncaster's Keepmoat Stadium, on Sunday, August 24, will raise money for the Ray Dunning Scholarship Fund, providing kits and supporting youngsters in joining FA-approved teams in Doncaster.

Leicester fans' organiser Gail Rybicki said: "It was absolutely brilliant, I'm thrilled to bits with how much we raised on the day.

"While the weather probably had a bit of an impact on the numbers attending, I don't think it spoiled the day."

The twice-weekly training sessions of the Leicester fans' team paid off as they ran out 9-0 winners.

Gail said: "It was hard at first getting a team of strangers together but when Leicester City provided us with a full strip they started to take it seriously,

"Our team's ages range from 16 to 46, they were all strangers when they started but they've become good friends now.

"Charity and honouring their memories was the winner on the day."

Dawn, 69, who wore a City shirt bearing Roger's name and the number "70" said: "It was a really good day, very emotional. Gail has done a brilliant job bringing all those lads together, she has really worked her socks off and I would like to thank her and everyone who took part."

Chris Forryan, 53, who runs the Leicester Till I Die website, said: "It was all about raising funds for charity in the two men's memory. The Quorn pitch was fantastic, they really did us proud. The Post Horn Gallop was played before the game and Filbert Fox even came on for a few minutes.

"It was a really good day despite the weather. It could become an annual thing."

Ange, there with daughters, Abbie, 17, and 22-year-old Lauren, said: "Obviously, it was a very emotional day. I led the team out. Although it was for bad reasons the fans of two football clubs have come together and I was very proud of all the players for the commitment they have shown.

"It was thoroughly enjoyed by all, it was a really good day."

The money raised for the heart unit included a £750 cheque raised by selling wristbands in the two men's memories by Doncaster fan Mick Pidcock.

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Leicester-City-Doncaster-Rovers-fans-team-raise/story-22520205-detail/story.html#ixzz3ABKEUI7M

Read more at http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Leicester-City-Doncaster-Rovers-fans-team-raise/story-22520205-detail/story.html#gs9P6oXMbzWCAb4V.99

Archived