Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Head Honcho

Who should replace Jones

Anderson or Collingwood  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who should take Jonesy place

• Anderson
    • Collingwood

Anderson. No question in my mind. Although to be honest, neither are a patch on Jones, who will be sorely missed.

I wasn't his biggest fan a year or so ago but to be fair to him, he's worked really hard at his game. Lost a bit of pace since his injury but now bowls a very good controlled line (when in form) and has the ability to get a lot of late (reverse) swing. In short, he's become a very handy wicket taking bowler with the ability to dismiss some of the world's top batsmen.

Whoever replaces him, the Aussies will look to go after, in my opinion..

It's an interesting one.

id go for collingwood , he seems to have iron nerve and nothing phases him at all , if jimmy anderson goes for 15+ early in his spell then he will fall to pieces

come on england !!!

Anderson. We have dominated the aussies with 5 bowlers and whilst Anderson is inconsistent he is capable fo magic deliveries and taking wickets.

Forget about Collingwood as a Test Match all rounder. If you select him it would be purely as a batsmen as his bowling is inept in the longer form of the game. He hardly bowls for Durham in their first class games, never mind as an England seamer.

I think they'll have to pick Collingwood on this season's form. I wonder who else was in contention when they chose the squad. Am I right in thinking that Gough was considered? That would have been interesting as there's certainly no one who deserves beating the Aussies more than Goughy and he certainly would have put everything into his performance.

Anderson. We have dominated the aussies with 5 bowlers and whilst Anderson is inconsistent he is capable fo magic deliveries and taking wickets.

Forget about Collingwood as a Test Match all rounder. If you select him it would be purely as a batsmen as his bowling is inept in the longer form of the game. He hardly bowls for Durham in their first class games, never mind as an England seamer.

Interestingly enough though, this season Collingwood has taken 20 first class wickets at an average of 30 and Anderson has taken about 55 also at an average of 30. Would Anderson really take that many wickets if he were to play?

Do we really need 5 bowlers? I know it has been succesful but we would have 3 quicks and giles plus Collingwood aswell as Vaughan+Bell who could put in some overs.

Australia need to take 20 wickets in this test, or they lose the Ashes, simple as.

It therefore makes sense to go with an extra batsman, especially someone who's proved in the one-day series he can stick around for a few hours if need be.

Plus Collingwood's also one of the best fielders in the world. He's almost worth a place in the team for that alone, especially in a game where catches (taken or dropped) can make all the difference.

Archived