Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guy

Last home game of season (v Everton) notion.

Youll probably just trot out the "you didnt like Pearson" rhetoric but how much credit for winning the league can Pearson really take?

Not much really.

We say Pearson brought the players in, which is true, but that includes Morgan who most people didnt think was good enough, Danny Simpson whod been completely frozen out and again no one thought was good enough, Drinkwater who barely played a game and looked like he was heading out, Albrighton who he only gave a run of games at the end of the season, Kramaric who has totally flopped.......

Ranieri has managed to turn top level misfits into title contenders, and get performances from Mahrez, Vardy, Drinkwater, the back four that are out of this world. Pearson cannot take credit for that, as he couldnt get 20% of the quality out of them at the top level that Ranieri can.

Secondly, its all too convenient to say Pearson instilled the spirit and drive in the team. The team for large parts of last season lacked these qualities, and we now play a completely different style of play. No credit attached to Pearson for this.

And finally, when talking about inheriting the back room team, its all too convenient to not give a mention to any of the staff Ranieri has brought to the club or the effect their work has had.

Pearson takes all the credit for getting us out of league 1, getting us in the Premier League and then keeping us up. He however gets no credit if we win the title, it all goes to Ranieri and the staff here now.

I'd have to partially disagree with this...

Think it's hard to comment on these things without being influenced by the feeling one may have towards Nigel Pearson as a man. I am obviously a big fan and think he did endless good things for our club. Some of which are much clearer this season than last.

Based on the end of season under NP I think it looked like we would be much more of a success throughout this season as opposed to most of last. Obviously much of last season was spent tweaking tactics and we would have probably attacked this season with a 3 at the back - Who knows where that would have got us? Probably not 5 points clear at the top of the league with 25 games played, admittedly.

Whilst I agree that Simpson, Albrighton, Drinkwater etc. weren't viewed as integral players for most of last season, it cannot be overlooked that NP was the man to bring them in,with the belief that they could be useful players for us in this division. On many occasions He stated that they were constantly building for us to be a force in the Prem. After Danny Drinkwater had a decent first half of his first full season, he (arguably) lost form and we just about scraped a play-off place on the last day of the season - There was speculation of him leaving that summer, think the Leicester Mercury had him down as available to leave? Yet the following season we ran away with the league, with Danny Drinkwater leading the charge and getting player of the season. NP also had faith in Wes Morgan to perform at this level and brought in Robert Huth to partner him (look how that ended up).

NP put a lot of focus on signing the right 'characters' for the club. Not the most exciting thing for the fans to hear, and got criticism at times for not being able to (want to) work with the so called 'big name players' i.e. Beckford pffft. I think now we are reaping the dividends of this, we have 11 players willing to die for the cause out there every week. That didn't happen by chance.

Admittedly, Kramaric can probably be called a flop. Though he was brought in as a last hope, and we didn't need him in the end. Could potentially get some money back for him IF he moves on. Obviously Ranieri has had his ideas on who to bring in, Benalouane, Inler... Benalouane who's already been returned, and Inler, who couldn't be further away from what we're trying to do.. Agreed?

In my opinion Kante is the difference this season (Steve Walsh reccommendation). I don't think we'd be anywhere near the force we are without him in the side. Mahrez or Vardy couldn't be performing anywhere near the levels they are without him, in my opinion. He is the heartbeat. Been evident since his first cameo appearance. Drinkwater is having a great season; though I do think he'd struggle in a team where things aren't going his way. When confident, he's as good a midfielder as there is around. Not quite on Kante levels though, whom just defies nature.

Ranieri has no doubt put his spin on things. We have clearly improved a lot defensively. Attacking and defending set peices improvement has also been a big part in winning us a lot of points, which we needed... And didn't really have under NP.

Just to confirm, yes, I should be considered a Pearsonality. Love Ranieri as well. Very hard to compare the two. I dont think it's one nor the other, they both contributed to where we are now, undoubtedly.

Obviously Ranieri has had his ideas on who to bring in, Benalouane, Inler... Benalouane who's already been returned, and Inler, who couldn't be further away from what we're trying to do.. Agreed?

To be very fair to Claudio, he has mentioned in quotes that he envisioned sticking with 3-5-2 originally and Inler and Benny are far more obvious fits in that scheme. But once he stepped onto the training ground and saw that the team had greater potential with a 4-4-2... well, all the credit goes to Claudio, and hard to knock him on those transfers.

Big Nige off to Derby anyway. Hope he doesn't take Shaky and Walsh

Yup, it certainly looks like it now - so double bang goes the chance of him returning as a special guest for the final home game against Everton now! ;-)

Agreed that Steve Walsh's Kante has had a massive influence on assisting the attacking qualities of the team this season though and is one of the main reasons why the Vardy and Mahrez partnership is firing on all cylinders this season re Kante's win rate of the ball from unlikely positions in midfield and even defence - and then his excellent ball distribution afterwards. It is why we are where we are this season as much as the other factors such as our solid defensive qualities re the formidable Morgan and Huth partnership - all as others have pointed out in this thread.

Regardless of who appears from the past at the Everton game, it has been a helluva season!!

I started to read Steve Walsh's book (player not coach/scout) and  he cannot stand Peter Taylor or  Tater Peeler as he calls him. 

Taylor promised that he'd have a place in the side whe O'neill left but completely ignored him then offered a below normal loyalty settlement when he left. I would rather see him and other ex players attend than Taylor. Just a select few that have kept in touch and praise City.

Archived