Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

Reserves

Alan Sheehan featured in yet another defensive clean sheet - this time playing for City Reserves in their 2-0 win against Watford at Hinckley tonight.

And, if he doesn't continue to find favour at left-back then Nils had better stay on his toes cos Sheehan played central defence with Stearman in a very young Reserves team and he looked coolness and class personified.

Watford had a bigger, stronger side with a few fast-flyers but Sheehan proved singularly unflappable and his cultured left foot was the start of many a promising raid.

It is testimony to the liveliness and physical strength of Watford that Stearman, although effective, was made to look quite clumsy and uncomfortable at times. Sheehan by contrast, showed the hallmarks of a class defender by seemingly always finding a bit of time, a bit of space and the opportunity to look up.

Understated but calmly effective he never dived in, his positional jockeying nullified many a difficult situation almost unnoticed and his delivery out of defence was excellent.

City's goals were scored by Ashley Chambers (early in the first half) and Levi Porter (midway through the second).

Chambers is just a chillingly ruthless natural predator. He's not in any way lazy but he's cunning and he's mercilessly aware. He never wastes energy where it doesn't matter and defenders get lulled into a false sense of security before he strikes with the speed of a cobra.

There really appeared nothing on when he collected the ball while surrounded by defenders some 30-35 from goal. Instantly he wriggled into the narrowest of openings which so briefly presented itself then found a split second to look up and placed the ball precisely into the only space in the goal he could aim at.

For the remainder of the game he was as tightly shackled as a prisoner in a third World jail and that emphasises the true measure and menace of the man...cos in the second half he briefly escaped again. Result, another goal.

This time he made a wondrous, lightning fast break to the right, collected a long diagonal pass close to the corner flag, looked up and instantly rolled a 20 yards pass to the outside edge of the penalty area where the evasive Levi Porter curled an inch perfect left footer inside the far post with the Watford keeper helpless. The key was in Chambers instant delivery of the pass which gave Porter the vital seconds which proved fatal to Watford's cause.

Chambers hurried and scurried but, like I say, for a man who was given so little time and space and so little clean possession, he was like a wartime sniper... a man the Watford defence always knew was there - but they like others before, just never knew when or how he would strike.

Shades of people like Gerd Muller, Jimmy Greaves, Allan Clarke. Nothing of note until they're within sight of goal - then instinctively lethal.

Before the game I'd mentioned Levi Porter as another who seemed promising. He's a little right winger with lots of close control, quick turns and a busy style.

Tonight, again, he was well shackled and a bit short short of room to manouvre. But, as Watford became stretched when chasing the equaliser he linked with Chambers for his goal which surely would have been a contestant for best of the week had it been in the Champioinship.

Can't say too much about others cos the Hinckley club don't print out a teamsheet which is frustrating and most were strangers to me. But City gave a busy performance, covering well in numbers yet were, like the first team, too willing to use the aerial route when their skill and their size suggested they'd be better keeping the ball on the floor and using their considerable one touch passing ability.

Altogether though an excellent win with goalkeeper Conrad Logan making some fine and timely saves and continuing to show, by all accounts, that he is much improved.

Rumours are that CL was there. ;):thumbup:

I'm not really the star-searching sort but he certainly managed to keep a low profile. I was pretty well next to the players tunnel. Imagine Craig was in one of the boxes if he was there. Perhaps I didn't notice him cos I just wasn't looking.

What's happening your end that's so pressing. The night's young. :):)

Yeah but poster scowy is trying to put me down, and ive a feeling swissfox is pretending to be someone else "manwell_pablo".

Spose i`d better party on your words, but i love showing the others up, its great fun.

So how did we beat watford reserves ;)lol

Alan Sheehan featured in yet another defensive clean sheet - this time playing for City Reserves in their 2-0 win against Watford at Hinckley tonight.

And, if he doesn't continue to find favour at left-back then Nils had better stay on his toes cos Sheehan played central defence with Spearman in a very young Reserves team and he looked coolness and class personified.

Watford had a bigger, stronger side with a few fast-flyers but Sheehan proved singularly unflappable and his cultured left foot was the start of many a promising raid.

It is testimony to the liveliness and physical strength of Watford that Stearman, although effective, was made to look quite clumsy and uncomfortable at times. Sheehan by contrast, showed the hallmarks of a class defender by seemingly always finding a bit of time, a bit of space and the opportunity to look up.

Understated but calmly effective he never dived in, his positional jockeying nullified many a difficult situation almost unnoticed and his delivery out of defence was excellent.

City's goals were scored by Ashley Chambers (early in the first half) and Levi Porter (midway through the second).

Chambers is just a chillingly ruthless natural predator. He's not in any way lazy but he's cunning and he's mercilessly aware. He never wastes energy where it doesn't matter and defenders get lulled into a false sense of security before he strikes with the speed of a cobra.

There really appeared nothing on when he collected the ball while surrounded by defenders some 30-35 from goal. Instantly he wriggled into the narrowest of openings which so briefly presented itself then found a split second to look up and placed the ball precisely into the only space in the goal he could aim at.

For the remainder of the game he was as tightly shackled as a prisoner in a third World jail and that emphasises the true measure and menace of the man...cos in the second half he briefly escaped again. Result, another goal.

This time he made a wondrous, lightning fast break to the right, collected a long diagonal pass close to the corner flag, looked up and instantly rolled a 20 yards pass to the outside edge of the penalty area where the evasive Levi Porter curled an inch perfect left footer inside the far post with the Watford keeper helpless. The key was in Chambers instant delivery of the pass which gave Porter the vital seconds which proved fatal to Watford's cause.

Chambers hurried and scurried but, like I say, for a man who was given so little time and space and so little clean possession, he was like a wartime sniper... a man the Watford defence always knew was there - but they like others before, just never knew when or how he would strike.

Shades of people like Gerd Muller, Jimmy Greaves, Allan Clarke. Nothing of note until they're within sight of goal - then instinctively lethal.

Before the game I'd mentioned Levi Porter as another who seemed promising. He's a little right winger with lots of close control, quick turns and a busy style.

Tonight, again, he was well shackled and a bit short short of room to manouvre. But, as Watford became stretched when chasing the equaliser he linked with Chambers for his goal which surely would have been a contestant for best of the week had it been in the Champioinship.

Can't say too much about others cos the Hinckley club don't print out a teamsheet which is frustrating and most were strangers to me. But City gave a busy performance, covering well in numbers yet were, like the first team, too willing to use the aerial route when their skill and their size suggested they'd be better keeping the ball on the floor and using their considerable one touch passing ability.

Altogether though an excellent win with goalkeeper Conrad Logan making some fine and timely saves and continuing to show, by all accounts, that he is much improved.

1 alan sheehan, theres only one alan sheehan.

Tell you what, i wouldnt cope in a tightly packed jail, i want a sniper in our team, Chambo for England!

Ive been following Conrad for time, hes got quality.

Based on the Academy's 4-0 against Chelsea the other day, I'd say that I had the same impression of both Chambo and Porter. The difference then was that Porter had lots of space, or at least managed to get all over the pitch - I had difficulty working out what position he was playing in! I was impressed with how quick he was/is, how effortlessly he changes pace or direction and never seems to get tired. Even though he is rather short, he more than makes up for it with his game, I think!

As to Conrad, I think he is a decent keeper already, but I'm glad he is improving :)

Sheehan - Stearman sounds like a cool-headed combo to watch out for (and even employ in the first team soon)! :thumbup:

Archived