Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gené and Tonic

Levein and defensive football

Wolves were there for the taking on saturday they really were. Fair play to Levein for wanting to keep it tight but if he'd Hume and Elvis on the wings instead of Hamill and Sylla we could have been strong at the back and going forward, it was plain to see.

Wolves were woeful and if we'd played that system against alot of other teams we'd still of been beaten, this will be proved in our next away match if he uses this system. He used it at Blackburn and got **** all out of it.

Sheff Utd 4 City 1 - We were the better team for most of the match but came away with a sound beating

The first two goals conceded were from penalties - the second one being fairly dubious. After that we collapsed. We played well with 4-4-2. We created chances and dominated the game against the top side in this division.

Hull 1 City 1 - From our second half performance, we should have come away with more than a point, but a point would be a fair reflection based on our refusal to turn up for the first half

They caused us problems from set pieces and they eventually scored from one.

Cardiff 1 City 0 - Our keeper did not have one save to make and we should have won this game

Another goal conceded from a set piece.

-----------------------------------------------

As you can see, the majority of goals have been conceded by set pieces/penalties. A 4-5-1 wouldn't have made much difference as that does not affect the way we defend them. The Crewe game was an exception, but that was because we started so slowly.

Another goal conceded from a set piece.

-----------------------------------------------

As you can see, the majority of goals have been conceded by set pieces/penalties. A 4-5-1 wouldn't have made much difference as that does not affect the way we defend them. The Crewe game was an exception, but that was because we started so slowly.

Spot on mate

Wolves were there for the taking on saturday they really were. Fair play to Levein for wanting to keep it tight but if he'd Hume and Elvis on the wings instead of Hamill and Sylla we could have been strong at the back and going forward, it was plain to see.

Wolves were woeful and if we'd played that system against alot of other teams we'd still of been beaten, this will be proved in our next away match if he uses this system. He used it at Blackburn and got **** all out of it.

Spot on. And blanket defence is always going to be folly cos you only need a briolliant or lucky goal from all the pressure being soaked up, or a daft mistake and you're down the pan.

And if you're successful you only get one point. We just haven't got the players to make it work like Manchester United or Chelsea.

It's not just speed, it's fast-passing ability, instinctive understanding and lethal finishing.Not a combination you find too much in the Championship.

People mention draws like Crewe. We weren't outplayed that day we just slept through the first 30 minutes.

Why did Levein not work on that instead of foresaking the full press system? Besides, we got the same number of points from that as from Wolves but at least the game was interesting.

I feel that if Lee Morris was fit, he might add to an attacking style of play. I've never actually seen him play, but according to one of my friends, he is quite lively on the pitch.

Has anyone else seen him play?

Yes, I cant remember which game it was I think Rotherham at home last season (someone pls correct me if im wrong) he did look quite good, nothing spectacular but I believe he went and injured himself at some point after or during the game. Sorry to be vague lol It must be really frustrating for the lad :(

Looking at the table is depressing. Stoke are ahead of us, a very poor team who we rightly outplayed earlier on in the season. So are a lot of other teams who we should beat and outplay. I can't help but compare us to Watford, as someone else did on here; a young, talented, unproven manager, a young, unproven squad, and yet they are playing the better football, and are 3rd in the table.

The most critical thing I can see wrong with us at the moment is that we are far too defensive. By playing defensive, we allow teams to put pressure on us, and hence the boring football, and 1-0 losses.

Watford didn't treat Sheff Utd wth respect, they went out and played good attacking football, and went 2-0 up even without their top scorer Marlon King. Ok they lost, but I have a feeling if we'd have done the same with Wolves, and other teams, we'd have come away with a lot more wins than we already have. We surely do have a better team than the likes of Watford and Stoke, and, imo we are where we are because we go out to nulify the effect of the opposition, and not to maximise our own.

Levein should take a leaf out of Adrian Boothroyds book!

There's nothing wrong with playing defensive football away from home,MON did it

often.But you have to make sure you win your home games........and we ain't!! :(

I feel that if Lee Morris was fit, he might add to an attacking style of play. I've never actually seen him play, but according to one of my friends, he is quite lively on the pitch.

Has anyone else seen him play?

Twas the time of plague in days of old and a dark cloud hung over the country. Never has the appearance of one man, a potential saviour, been so gleefully celebrated by the poor unfortunate crowd gathered on that field. This wee man, young Morris, could provide a rare sunbeam into our blighted lives. He walked purposefully forward on to the grass and spoke to the expectant peasants who had travelled miles to see him......." Gaffer, I think I've tweaked my hamstring, I'm off"........would we ever see him again ?

P.S. This is Solihullfox writng under my pen name.

Spot on mate

Now try and convince Levein. Like I say, it's a pity he doesn't try top fix the attack with as much conviction as he fixes the defence cos we'd probably have won every match of the season so far except, perhaps, Sheffield United and Hull.

There is NO-ONE to be scared of in this League and it is time the club started to believe it.

There's nothing wrong with playing defensive football away from home,MON did it

often.But you have to make sure you win your home games........and we ain't!! :(

Think it through you man of so little conviction. We play 4-5-1 away. They play 4-5-1 at our place. And what do you have. Nothing that resembles entertaining football.

The game is supposed to be a SPECTACLE - something that fans WANT TO WATCH. Can I not get it through to you that all the negativity (at Leicester, in the TV matches I've watched recently) is killing the game and killing the fun of going to watch the game.

Do all the empty seats not bother you - and do you think there would see so many if we were playing cavalier football?.

Time, Time, Time Give it bloody time and stop moaning

Agree totally.

CL plays ONE match with a defensive 4-5-1 formation and everyone is up in arms. For gawdsake calm down everyone, stop being so reactionary. God forbid that I should have to use a word like 'fickle'...

The bloke can't win can he? If we'd got to Molineux, played an attacking formation and lost he'd have been slated for being tactically naive, everyone of you would have been on here saying he should have played more defensively. Yes, you would, stop denying it. :P

It's blatantly obvious that CL is still experimenting, just give him some space to do so and let him discover the best team for the different challenges we're going to face this season.

:)

Nice to see we're playing 442 tonight, hopefully the positive football will carry on into the league, against teams such as Wolves, Southampton and Crystal Palace.

And look what happens. All action and incident. Commentators who sound excited instead of sitting there behind a blank sheet of notepaper.

Archived