Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Who will be the better footballer?

Who will be the better footballer?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the better footballer?

• Richard Stearman
    • Alan Sheehan
    • James Wesolowski
    • Ashley Chambers

I'm already wincing at having been provoked into an altogether uncalled for outburst of immodesty and am certainly not now going to be goaded into a resume of my sporting career which is of no consequence at this time of my life in any case.

But, as stated elsewhere, having started out as a footballer I eventually turned to squash. And while the moments mentioned are special enough to me I could write a longer thread about the pepole who beat me.

I only responded in the first place to illustrate that I had enough of a sporting background to feel justified in offering an opinion on young Chambers which was as well founded as the next guys.

And, for all the chiding, on reflection, I am happy to stand by my views on the youngster. Whether he uses the attributes and characteristics I described to become as good as people I've compared him to like Lineker, Gerd Muller, Jimmy Greaves etc (and they were characteristics in common, nothing else implied) remains to be seen.

But I hope so. I like to see success, particularly from local kids.

Thracian i'd like to hear about your career, I know you probably don't want to publicise it but if you've got the time perhaps PM me, i'd be keen to hear about your gifted talents.

Thracian i'd like to hear about your career, I know you probably don't want to publicise it but if you've got the time perhaps PM me, i'd be keen to hear about your gifted talents.

You flatter me more than I justify. Rather than looking back I'm more focused now on how, with my faded eyesight, I can get my golf handicap down below four so I can play in some decent tournaments before anno domini finally extracts her dues. Seems to me the holes aren't big enough at any of the courses I play and the trees move when you're not watching em. lol

You flatter me more than I justify. Rather than looking back I'm more focused now on how, with my faded eyesight, I can get my golf handicap down below four so I can play in some decent tournaments before anno domini finally extracts her dues. Seems to me the holes aren't big enough at any of the courses I play and the trees move when you're not watching em. lol

I play off 7 and once you get to about that it gets really hard to push on and become what I class a good golfer (below 5). I can have rounds where I shoot a couple under par but then I can easily shoot a score in the 80's, the most frustrating sport in the world. Also the most competitive aswell.

I think Weso will turn out to be the better footballer, depending on how he comes back from this injury of course.

From what I've seen of him he's got an engine, he's a stocky bastard so very strong and bag fulls of ability on top.

I worry about Stearman's stature, I don't know how much he can actually bulk up. Cracking footballer, but will he ever be able to play centre half at a top level?

I play off 7 and once you get to about that it gets really hard to push on and become what I class a good golfer (below 5). I can have rounds where I shoot a couple under par but then I can easily shoot a score in the 80's, the most frustrating sport in the world. Also the most competitive aswell.

Sounds like we'd have a decent game.

Frustration? Why do decent drives, decent chips and decent putts never come together at the same time?

I think Weso will turn out to be the better footballer, depending on how he comes back from this injury of course.

From what I've seen of him he's got an engine, he's a stocky bastard so very strong and bag fulls of ability on top.

I worry about Stearman's stature, I don't know how much he can actually bulk up. Cracking footballer, but will he ever be able to play centre half at a top level?

I think Stearman's stature is a myth and won't hamper him. I've watched him recently and he's a tenacious bastard who rarely gets knocked off the ball. I think Levein should give him a try at centre back and see, if not he's just as good at right back or even stick him upfront!!! Class

I think Stearman's stature is a myth and won't hamper him. I've watched him recently and he's a tenacious bastard who rarely gets knocked off the ball. I think Levein should give him a try at centre back and see, if not he's just as good at right back or even stick him upfront!!! Class

Let's get him cloned and have a full team. :):):)

I agree, speaking of which did anyone notice how often Hammond got 'knocked off'' the ball, with out a foal being committed by the Blackpool defence, I can't recall whether it was just one defender or not. Cerainly proves that stature is not all down to size, commitment and mental strenght can have a significant impact. Leagues and full of 'spindly / weak' looking players who are very hard to shift.

From what i've seen Richard Stearman, but we have seen him play more for the first team than any of the other players. It could easily be either Chambers or Weso though, if Weso recovers well from this injury setback then he is going to be an awesome player, and we'll have at least two gems playing for us this season. Love it.

Poll added :)

Well, it's been a decent start to the day and the above voting has cheered me some more.

I've not seen Weso play but if 22 of you out of 57 reckon he's better than Ashley Chambers the City are blessed indeed.

Sheehan having only the one vote may look a bit harsh but the question was unambiguous so all 57 who voted may still rate Sheehan a good player as I do. It's just that they think the others will be better.

They may well be right, scores of 22-1 are pretty conclusive, but I still think Sheehan is a bit understated and his calmness belies an excellent player who might also make a sweeper if it didn't waste his other talents too much.

To me his positional sense is excellent. Perhaps his biggest fault is that he tries to be too optimistic too often with his passing - but then I like positive players. The more men we have up front the better he will look at left back because he will have more options whereas it can sometimes be difficult to pick out a single striker.

Anyway if he's the WORST of our young crop (potential wise) then I think the bankers need have no worries about our on-field assets.

Well, it's been a decent start to the day and the above voting has cheered me some more.

I've not seen Weso play but if 22 of you out of 57 reckon he's better than Ashley Chambers the City are blessed indeed.

Sheehan having only the one vote may look a bit harsh but the question was unambiguous so all 57 who voted may still rate Sheehan a good player as I do. It's just that they think the others will be better.

They may well be right, scores of 22-1 are pretty conclusive, but I still think Sheehan is a bit understated and his calmness belies an excellent player who might also make a sweeper if it didn't waste his other talents too much.

To me his positional sense is excellent. Perhaps his biggest fault is that he tries to be too optimistic too often with his passing - but then I like positive players. The more men we have up front the better he will look at left back because he will have more options whereas it can sometimes be difficult to pick out a single striker.

Anyway if he's the WORST of our young crop (potential wise) then I think the bankers need have no worries about our on-field assets.

Nicely put. :thumbup:

Possibly people's view of Sheehan is influenced by his sometimes poor decision making on passes,with the occassional hoof creeping in.To me however his most glaring weakness is a complete lack of right foot.He always tries to get the ball onto his left foot.A problem if you want to become a top notch player.On Tuesday night the ideal ball was played back to him, in the attacking third to cross right footed to the far post and he shied off it and played it off.Whereas Steers and Weso have been well schooled and are accomplished left and right footed.Sheehan is a solid player that fits in well at left back however it would do well to be aware of these deficiences.

Possibly people's view of Sheehan is influenced by his sometimes poor decision making on passes,with the occassional hoof creeping in.To me however his most glaring weakness is a complete lack of right foot.He always tries to get the ball onto his left foot.A problem if you want to become a top notch player.On Tuesday night the ideal ball was played back to him, in the attacking third to cross right footed to the far post and he shied off it and played it off.Whereas Steers and Weso have been well schooled and are accomplished left and right footed.Sheehan is a solid player that fits in well at left back however it would do well to be aware of these deficiences.

On reflection I cannot recall ever seeing him strike the ball with his right foot so whether he can or can't I've no idea. Anyway, no reason he shouldn't start working on the problem starting Monday.

Not that I've noticed that being one-footed has necessarily stopped pronounced right footers like Gary Neville and David Beckham doing okay and, ineed that celebrated left-footer Ryan Giggs winning a shirt or two.

That is not to negate your point however. Why on earth any full-time footballer shouldn't try to improve his "weaker" foot is beyond comprehension so let's hope he gets the message and has the dedication to cross this particular failing off his list.

He can only be a BETTER player for it.

Thracian,I can see why you excelled at sport.A basic rule,know what your strengths are but always work hard on getting your weaknesses up to scratch.It is the bottom liine that is the failing not the top line. Mr Sheenan hopefully can become the player we hope for.

Archived