Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Who will be the better footballer?

Who will be the better footballer?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the better footballer?

• Richard Stearman
    • Alan Sheehan
    • James Wesolowski
    • Ashley Chambers

Don't ****in bother then

I tried starting it again as a poll and had the same problem :mad:

As for the question I just find it too hard to call as I haven't seen Wesolowski play and I've only seen Chambers for 2 minutes plus a bit of video, but if you insist, I'd say Stearman.

What a nice question to be able to ask as a Leicester City fan - can't believe we've had such an interesting four-horse race for years, if ever. :):)

Mind you it's a bit hard to compare four players who are so very different... and it depends what you look for.

Stearman is determined, alert and inclined to attack plus versatile enough to play in various positions.

Sheehan is Mr Cool with excellent positional sense, awareness of the team needs, discipline and the ability to be useful in attack with his stamina, passing ability and dead ball contributions.

Wes I've never seen but is clearly talented, dangerous and a force to be reckoned with by anyone.

Chambers is swift, extremely skillful and a lethal finisher - the best natural predator at Leicester since Lineker probably (although Cottee was good).

You sort it - I can't.

Dear Thracian ,I think you've lost the plot !! , There is no doubt that Chambo has great potential and we are all pleased to see the lad progressing BUT to compare an unproven 15 year old to one of the greatest english strikers of all time!! . I think you 've banged your head mate!

Being the 'best since someone' doesn't mean they are better or are even comparable to, it just means there has been no one in between that has been better and he did specify "best natural predator". So it strikes me as a valid statement because let's face it we've hardly been awash with that type of striker. It also doesn't mean I agree because I've not seen enough of the lad, well 2 minutes ;)

Can you be the best since someone when you have one first team apperance for 1 minute?. Chambo played one minute and he is the best natural predator since Gary Lineker!!! you have both lost the plot.I think you need a track record to claim to be the best and I hope that Chambo proves you right but you are way to premature.

Can you be the best since someone when you have one first team apperance for 1 minute?. Chambo played one minute and he is the best natural predator since Gary Lineker!!! you have both lost the plot.I think you need a track record to claim to be the best and I hope that Chambo proves you right but you are way to premature.

I know what you are saying, but Thracian has watched this lad on a number of occasions for the reserves and at youth team level. It is possible to tell if a player has the minerals to become a class professional footballer, I know there have been many players who have looked lethal at youth level and never fulfilled their potential but there has also been a significant number that have gone on to be quality footballers and people could see it at a young age that they would.

I also would like to add that Thracian is an accomplished sports player and has unearthed many young stars in a sporting profession so he knows what he's talking about when it comes to whether kids have got what it takes or not.

That's not the point you said he had lost the plot by comparing him to Lineker, I was pointing out that he hadn't, only that he was the best since, and at a particular aspect of it e.g predator. I also made it quite clear that I did not necessarily agree with his assesment so I I'd thank you to not accusing me of losing the plot. If you are going to pick people up on their comments please ensure you understand them in the first place.

Dear Thracian ,I think you've lost the plot !! , There is no doubt that Chambo has great potential and we are all pleased to see the lad progressing BUT to compare an unproven 15 year old to one of the greatest english strikers of all time!! . I think you 've banged your head mate!

Don't go making more of what I was saying. There are just similarities in their styles - and the thread was talking about potential "how good they could/might be."

I suppose I shouldn't compare his goal against Watford Reserves with the one by Jimmy Greaves for Spurs against Leicester either - and yet they were virtually identical as I recall. Different team, different opposition it was a Wednesday instead of a Saturday ... fock off.

Don't go making more of what I was saying. There are just similarities in their styles - and the thread was talking about potential "how good they could/might be."

I suppose I should compare his goal against Watford Reserves with the one by Jimmy Greaves for Spurs against Leicester either - and yet they were virtually identical as I recall. Different team, different opposition it was a Wednesday instead of a Saturday ... fock off.

:D:D:D

I've watched him play several times and that's the impression I got about him. I tried to convey that impression because I thought it might interest the people on this forum who have perhaps never seen him play. He may make a different impression in future matches or no impression at all. But that was how he struck me and I don't think it my viewpoint warrants you being so f.....g patronising.

I've watched a hell of a lot of footballers in my time, played with a hell of a lot of decent players like Peter Shilton, Ian Storey Moore, Bill Garner, Peter Broadbent and so on. I won a hell of a lot of trophies as player and coach in sport and, as a result, I do think that's a reasonable background for passing an opinion.

My opinion was that his playing style, his speed of mind and foot, his physique all had certain similarities with Lineker to my eye.

I wouldn't for a minute consider that opinion to be any more relevent than the next man's but we WERE asked to express one and seeing as he hasn't got a track record to speak of I don't see how any view could be based on proven facts or suchlike.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. No big deal, been wrong before. But when, like me, you've beaten 6 national champions in your sporting career and been captain of your county for God knows how long, then you might have the right to be so f.....g dismissive (though it would be extremely bad mannered).

. I'd be much more interested to hear your opinion of the players than have you suggesting a bang on my head has affected my sanity and judgement.

I'm all ears.

And now you're saying Davieg has "lost the plot" and perhaps Ric Flair will be next and who else will stand in line for being summarily dismissed as some sort of wacko cos they express THEIR viewpoint.

I don't recall reading too many of your threads on any subject but I have read plenty from Davieg and Ric Flair and whether I agree/disagree, partly agree or otherwise, they are ALWAYS based on reasoned argument or are opinions formed on the back of considerable and wide experience.

They and many like them are the life and soul of this forum and I, for one, would always offer them the respect they undoubtedly deserve, cos respect goes a long way, son.

I've watched him play several times and that's the impression I got about him. I tried to convey that impression because I thought it might interest the people on this forum who have perhaps never seen him play. He may make a different impression in future matches or no impression at all. But that was how he struck me and I don't think it my viewpoint warrants you being so f.....g patronising.

I've watched a hell of a lot of footballers in my time, played with a hell of a lot of decent players like Peter Shilton, Ian Storey Moore, Bill Garner, Peter Broadbent and so on. I won a hell of a lot of trophies as player and coach in sport and, as a result, I do think that's a reasonable background for passing an opinion.

My opinion was that his playing style, his speed or mind and foot, his physique all had certain similarities with Lineker to my eye.

I wouldn't for a minute consider that opinion to be any more relevent than the next man's but we WERE asked to express one and seeing as he hasn't got a track record to speak of I don't see how any view could be based on proven facts or suchlike.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. No big deal, been wrong before. But when, like me, you've beaten 6 national champions in your sporting career and been captain of your county for God knows how long, then you might have the right to be so f.....g dismissive (though it would be extremely bad mannered).

. I'd be much more interested to hear your opinion of the players than have you suggesting a bang on my head has affected my sanity and judgement.

I'm all ears.

Very well said.

I know what you are saying, but Thracian has watched this lad on a number of occasions for the reserves and at youth team level. It is possible to tell if a player has the minerals to become a class professional footballer, I know there have been many players who have looked lethal at youth level and never fulfilled their potential but there has also been a significant number that have gone on to be quality footballers and people could see it at a young age that they would.

I also would like to add that Thracian is an accomplished sports player and has unearthed many young stars in a sporting profession so he knows what he's talking about when it comes to whether kids have got what it takes or not.

Tell you this Ric Flair. I wouldn't wanna mark him - and that's in my younger days (not that I was ever mentioned in defensive despatches). :)

Being a Leicester lad he's given us all a lift, he someone to identify with and I, for one, hope he gets all the encouragement and good luck he needs - including the odd unreservedly optimistic opinion.

Someone's gotta succeed and go on to be things. At least we can say "we were there".

PS: thanks to you and Davieg for your kind words - I must work on not letting folk provoke me. Got me in loads of trouble on the sports field but I should have learned restraint me now...cos it never does me any credit.

From what i've seen Richard Stearman, but we have seen him play more for the first team than any of the other players. It could easily be either Chambers or Weso though, if Weso recovers well from this injury setback then he is going to be an awesome player, and we'll have at least two gems playing for us this season. Love it.

Poll added :)

That sort of thing happens to your mind when you get old,Mr Potaohead.

Thracian, after reading how you were pretty useful at your profession, football, I just would like to know who you used to play for and who you used to coach. Who were the 6 national champions you defeated? sorry for being nosey but I am intrigued.

I always thought his profession was squash :doh:lol

Thracian, after reading how you were pretty useful at your profession, football, I just would like to know who you used to play for and who you used to coach. Who were the 6 national champions you defeated? sorry for being nosey but I am intrigued.

I'm already wincing at having been provoked into an altogether uncalled for outburst of immodesty and am certainly not now going to be goaded into a resume of my sporting career which is of no consequence at this time of my life in any case.

But, as stated elsewhere, having started out as a footballer I eventually turned to squash. And while the moments mentioned are special enough to me I could write a longer thread about the pepole who beat me.

I only responded in the first place to illustrate that I had enough of a sporting background to feel justified in offering an opinion on young Chambers which was as well founded as the next guys.

And, for all the chiding, on reflection, I am happy to stand by my views on the youngster. Whether he uses the attributes and characteristics I described to become as good as people I've compared him to like Lineker, Gerd Muller, Jimmy Greaves etc (and they were characteristics in common, nothing else implied) remains to be seen.

But I hope so. I like to see success, particularly from local kids.

Archived