Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Chuck Berry

Supposedly a bit of nutter and a complete nightmare to work with - but practically invented rock n roll, so fair enough.

Absolute legend.

I think he is the man that really did capture Rock n Roll. A superb guitarist too. He pretty much influenced all those early guitar bands like the Kinks, Beatles, Stones.

A very good obituary in the Times today, together with an article on 'My Ding-a-Ling' recorded live without his knowledge in Coventry in 1972. It was of course his only number 1 hit, largely because the UK record buying public have always been suckers for a novelty hit and also because of the furore caused by Mary Whitehouse. 

An abiding early childhood memory - far too young to understand the innuendo/double entendre - was the screening on Top Of The Pops. Naturally, Chuck Berry wasn't there in person and I recall that they showed a film clip of some live TV show but interspersed in the studio with, I vividly recall, sketching cartoons to the strains of "I want you to play with my ding-a-ling".....?

...Can you tell who it is yet? 

Only the BBC in the 70s - you honestly couldn't script it. Just found the clip too

Archived