Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
PAFC12

Peter Gilbert

...I just can't understand why Levein signed him when we had Sheehan as the youngster coming through and then about 4 or 5 others who could play there aswell. Usually when Craig signs someone and they play badly he sticks with them, but Gilbert has been dropped and disappeared completely recently.

[slightly off topic but...]

It seems that Levein signs players because he's impressed with them at some level, even at the level of potential (and they are cheap). It is as if only at the end of the transfer window he sat down and thought

"hold on, we have three players for this position and no one to play here...".

"Oh I will just move this player from here to here and see how they do" (making them play out of position).

Perhaps he was not too keen on Gilbert for now anyway, as he kept mentioning he is "one for the future".

It is a strange and somewhat risky system - hope it works for him.

He got injured didn't he? I think he'll be back in the 1st team squad when he's fit,not saying he'll start but a couple of games coming on as Sub will do him no harm.

How the hell does he get in front of Sheehan? Go on, someone, surp[rise me. Tell me one aspect of his play that is better than Sheehan's. It's like comparing the ultimate claret with Vin Rouge, Davie Gibson with Muffin the Mule, Sylvia Crystal with Old Mother Hubbard.

Only half the story. Sounds like he had a storming game:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/4326166.stm

Wales U21 3-0 Azerbaijan U21

Mark Pritchard is congratulated on scoring Wales U21s' opener

Wales Under-21s finished their Uefa Championship campaign on a positive note with a 3-0 win over Azerbaijan on a rainy evening at Newport Stadium.

Wales broke the deadlock on 64 minutes when left-back Peter Gilbert crossed for Mark Pritchard to head home.

Adam Birchall doubled the lead, sliding in to score after Azeri goalkeeper Ruslan Majidov spilled a long shot.

Then Gilbert made the game safe, coolly tucking away Ramon Calliste's pull-back after the Liverpool striker broke away.

The result meant that Wales stayed ahead of Azerbaijan at the bottom of Group Six, who they beat 1-0 in Baku earlier in the campaign, finishing with 10 points from their 10 games.

The match was brought forward three hours because of Azeri concerns over the power of the floodlights.

There was not even a goal to illuminate the first half in Newport as the visitors sat back and defended in depth, content to pack their half and wait for a breakaway.

It was a piece of magic by Ramon Calliste

Wales U21 boss Brian Flynn

Cardiff's Curtis McDonald, just 17, impressed on his debut, showing pace and control as Wales probed down both flanks but failed to find an end product.

Azerbaijan showed greater adventure after the break but it was Wales who took a deserved lead.

Calliste and Gilbert swapped passes down the left and the Leicester full-back sent in a telling cross for Pritchard, arriving unmarked six yards out, to power a header past the helpless Majidov.

Arron Davies then somehow managed to scoop a shot wide from six yards, although he made amends after 68 minutes by setting up Wales' second.

The Southampton attacking midfielder's fierce low shot from the left was palmed out by Majidov, right to the feet of Birchall who coolly slammed the ball home.

Azerbaijan hit back with a shot from Romal Huseynov which was well saved by Lee Worgan, before Murad Aghakishiyev hit a post from outside the box.

Shaun MacDonald came on for his debut with 11 minutes left in place of Anthony Pulis and almost scored with his first touch - a dipping drive over the angle.

But the third goal for Wales arrived after 86 minutes, when Calliste's clever play on the by-line ended with a rolled pass which Gilbert side-footed home.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wales Under-21 manager Brian Flynn:

"In the second half there was some quality finishing, some great movement and passing culminating in a classic third goal.

"It was a piece of magic by Ramon near the touchline and an inch-perfect pass for Peter Gilbert to score.

"It's pleasing to finish the campaign with a win and that's two victories over Azerbaijan in the group."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wales U21: Worgan, Beevers, Morgan, Nyatanga, Gilbert, Pulis (MacDonald 79), Arron Davies, Jones, McDonald (Pritchard 59), Calliste, Birchall.

Subs Not Used: Letheren, Spender, Adam Davies, Wiggins, Anthony.

Booked: Calliste.

Goals: Pritchard 64, Birchall 68, Gilbert 86.

Azerbaijan U21: Majidov, Allahverdiev, Namazov, Abdurahmanov (Agakishiev 46), Levin, Sadigov (Karimov 71), Huseynov, Maharramov, Elnur Abbasov, Akhtyamov (Gurbanov 62), Amirjanov.

Subs Not Used: Kerimi, Aliyev, Ramazan Abbasov, Muradov.

Att: 812

Ref: Iraklis Tsikinis (Gre).

Delighted for him. Never said or implied that he could NEVER play a decent match.

But I've seen much of the football he's played for City and read most of the comments by Plymouth fans and he's shown me nothing yet that convinces me he is anywhere near the best left back at City.

Sheehan is far better and will go on to be one of the best in the land.

In my view, had he played more often we'd have had more points. Simple as that.

I was really suprised when you splashed out £200,000 on him, he certainly wasnt one of our better players last year, was a real liability most of the time. He was a player we hoped would be one of our better players as he is only 21 but he never cut it last season but was great in league 1.

I reckon we've signed the wrong bloke.............I think Levein really wanted Capaldi, now he would of been a good asset to the club. :doh:

SWAPSIES??? :D

From what ive seen of Gilbert he looks average although he has not played many games. I think fighting for a place in the starting 11 will do him a world of good

Archived