Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Kasper Schmeichel fulfilling his pledge to late Leicester City chairman

Leicester City goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel is supporting the international wheelchair rugby quad nations tournament at Leicester Arena at the request of late chairman Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha.

King Power are sponsoring the tournament, which takes place between March 1-3 and will see Great Britain, Canada, France and world champions France go head-to-head, and Schmeichel said it was a passion of Khun Vichai’s.

The Denmark international says the physicality of the sport reminds him of the early days of his career when he was regularly roughed up by centre forwards in the lower leagues.

“This was a passion project of Khun Vichai and he asked me to go and have a look at it,” said City’s vice-captain.

“It is good fun to watch and pretty brutal.

“The players have to show a lot of toughness to overcome adversity and go out and play the game.

“They are smashing into each other and taking the ball. It is pretty hardcore.

“It reminds me of the good old days in football but you can't do that anymore.

“I grew up in a different generation where you don't let anyone know they have hurt you.

“When you have played in League Two for a long time like I did, you used to get plenty of contact.

“It taught you to look after yourself and to protect yourself.

“I remember my second Darlington game against Grimsby and big defender Ben Futcher.

“It was 40 seconds in and he wiped me out.

“I came out for a punch, punched it and the next thing I ended up clean out in the back of the net.

“He saw a young lad and thought: 'welcome to the game son'.

“But it taught me when I am coming out for crosses to look out for myself.”

For more information about the tournament, visit www.wrquadnations.com.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/kasper-schmeichel-fulfilling-pledge-late-2328103

LCFC Players Help Promote King Power Quad Nations Tournament
Leicester City’s Kasper Schmeichel and Shinji Okazaki met with Great Britain’s Wheelchair Rugby team at King Power Stadium on Thursday, to officially launch the 2019 King Power Quad Nations tournament.
King Power Quad Nations
- Kasper Schmeichel and Shinji Okazaki help promote the King Power Quad Nations tournament at King Power Stadium
- The wheelchair rugby tournament returns to Leicester’s Morningside Arena in March 2019
- King Power are the title sponsor of the event for a second consecutive year
- Team GB will take on the top wheelchair rugby teams in the world, including Japan and Canada

It returns to Leicester’s Morningside Arena in March, following the success of the inaugural event in February of this year, which attracted more than 5,000 supporters to the city.

The USA were crowned overall winners of the tournament after beating Australia in the Final, while Great Britain were denied a bronze medal by Japan.

Leicester City’s owners, King Power, are once again the title sponsors for the tournament, which underlines their commitment to bringing world-class sport to the region and gives the city a chance to showcase its ability to host international events.

The tournament takes place over three days and sees four of the world’s best wheelchair rugby teams compete – including Great Britain, Canada, France and Japan, who won gold at the World Wheelchair Rugby Championships in Sydney this summer.

Senior Executive Vice President of King Power International and CEO of Leicester City Football Club, Susan Whelan, said: “King Power is very proud of its associations to world class sport and to the city of Leicester, so we’re honoured to support the Wheelchair Rugby Quad Nations for a second year. The 2018 event drew thousands of people from all over the world to witness some outstanding matches and I’m sure 2019 will be even bigger and better.

“It takes a remarkable level of dedication and commitment to reach an elite standard in any sport, but there is something additional to be admired about athletes with the passion and determination to overcome disability and succeed on the international stage. The tournament will be a great spectacle for the city, which I’m sure will be extremely proud to play host to another world class sporting event.”

Expand photoKing Power Quad Nations

The King Power Quad Nations tournament returns to Leicester’s Morningside Arena in March.

Widely known as ‘Murderball’, the supercharged and brutal sport is fast-paced and exciting, with players competing in specially designed wheelchairs.

For Team GB, the tournament is an important opportunity to put down a marker ahead of next year’s European Championships in Denmark, where they will look to defend their crown.

CEO of Great Britain Wheelchair Rugby, David Pond, said: “We are delighted to return to Leicester for this fantastic tournament. All teams were overwhelmed by the warmth of the welcome we received by the people of Leicester when we played the first King Power Quad Nations in the city and we are hoping for even bigger crowds this time. We are also really appreciative of King Power who have come forward again to sponsor the event, so a big thank you to them. Spectators will see the game at the very highest level and it’s fantastic that World Champions, Japan, will be joining us.”

The King Power Quad Nations tournament will be held at Leicester’s Morningside Arena between Friday 1 March and Sunday 3 March, 2019.

For more information, click HERE.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn’t find another thread to put this. Just seen a pic @henrywinter posted on twitter of the memorial flowers. Obviously all dead now but looks such a mess. I’m surprised that’s been left like that?

Edited by F1_AN

13 minutes ago, F1_AN said:

Couldn’t find another thread to put this. Just seen a pic @henrywinter posted on twitter of the memorial flowers. Obviously all dead now but looks such a mess. I’m surprised that’s been left like that?

It can be seen as a mess or simply the ebb and flow of life as the flowers die and become something else ..... I expect it wasnt cleared until Top visited this weekend and will now be tidied up - or Top may ask for it to be  left .......