Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Anish

Beckham...

David Beckham was sent off for the second time this month and the third time in his Real Madrid career during Sunday's 2-1 home defeat to Valencia.

The 30-year-old was given a yellow card for dissent and then sent off for sarcastically applauding the referee.

Former Everton midfielder Thomas Gravesen was also red-carded as Real lost top spot in La Liga to Getafe.

Beckham's red card was reminiscent of Wayne Rooney's sending off for Manchester United against Villarreal.

That was also for applauding the referee after a caution - and Rooney's came shortly after Beckham publicly rebuked the youngster for losing his temper with a referee during an England game.

Beckham was also sent off against Valencia in January 2004, and again in May that year against Real Murcia.

On the first occasion he received two yellow cards for dissent and a foul; the second time was a straight red for swearing at a linesman.

Beckham was also sent off for two yellow cards in England's World Cup qualifying win over Austria earlier this month.

He has now been sent off six times in his career, having also been dismissed playing for Manchester United against Necaxa in the 2000 World Club Championship.

Gravesen, meanwhile, got his marching orders eight minutes from time for a reckless lunge on Vicente Rodriguez, with Beckham following two minutes from time.

Real Madrid boss Vanderlei Luxemburgo said: "I wasn't next to Beckham on the pitch so I can't say what he did and Gravesen's was a foul from behind.

"I don't like to complain about referees. We have lost more than a game, we have lost two players."

Gravesen was unrepentant after his red card.

"It was a counter-attack and I had to take him down. I don't regret it and I would do it again if I had to," said the Dane.

"I could not take the chance and let him continue his run. I didn't think it would be a red card but I still have to adapt to the Spanish style of refereeing."

England's Jonathan Woodgate was left out of the starting line-up - despite scoring in midweek - with Luxemburgo preferring Sergio Ramos.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/4370382.stm

Beckham just never learns does he? Also love the quote from Graveson! lol

Did you see the incident? I don't know where the medias have picked up on this 'hand clapping', but TV images clearly showed that the ref overreacted when Beckham walked away and gently clapped a Valencia player. The ref saw it as some kind of retaliation or something, but it clearly was an overreation! He was disgraceful throughout, but obviously Beckham get's the stick doesn't he? :rolleyes:

As for Gravesen, it was an idiotic tackle, and a stupid comment as well. Hope he'll leave Real soon as this season's a right 'mare for him <_< :cry:

He recons that he will help rooney with the way he is yet he is doing things that rooney does! :blink:

i say terry for england captain :)

Did you see the incident? I don't know where the medias have picked up on this 'hand clapping', but TV images clearly showed that the ref overreacted when Beckham walked away and gently clapped a Valencia player. The ref saw it as some kind of retaliation or something, but it clearly was an overreation! He was disgraceful throughout, but obviously Beckham get's the stick doesn't he? :rolleyes:

As for Gravesen, it was an idiotic tackle, and a stupid comment as well. Hope he'll leave Real soon as this season's a right 'mare for him <_< :cry:

Gotta agree with you there, I watched the match today when I was in the gym.

Beckham wins appeal over red card

David Beckham has had the red card he received in Real Madrid's defeat to Valencia on Sunday rescinded.

The England captain was booked for dissent and received a second caution for applauding the referee.

The club appealed, claiming that Beckham's behaviour had been neither "scornful nor sarcastic".

The Spanish Football Federation decided that the clapping formed part of his initial protest at a decision and did not warrant a second yellow card.

The 30-year-old will now be free to play for Real against Deportivo la Coruna on Wednesday.

Beckham was dismissed in the 87th minute of Real's 2-1 defeat to Valencia, a result which meant they missed the chance to go top of La Liga.

In his post-match report, the referee noted that Beckham had behaved in "a mocking way after being reprimanded".

However, the Competition Commission, which heard Real's appeal, concluded that Beckham was not being confrontational.

"The clapping took place when the player's back was turned to the referee and when he was returning to his position on the pitch," it said.

"Although the action is worthy of reproach it was not done in direct confrontation and is seen as part of his original protest.

"Neither the incidents themselves nor the referee's report suggest that there was an intention to insult the referee."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/4370382.stm

Archived