Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thebadger1989

Filbert Street Photo

Hi. Do you know about 'Creative Commons' images which are licenced for reuse?

Almost all images found on Wikipedia are available to use under a creative commons licence ie free of copyright, as long as you attribute the author (you can

put all attributes in an appendix at the back of your book). 

As an example I just searched Wiki for Leicester City FC and found this photo of Robbie Savage v Barnsley from 97-98. Click on the 'More Details' button

and it will give you the terms of the licence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leicester_City_F.C.#/media/File:Robbie_Savage.jpg

Flikr can also be a good source for CC images.

I suspect that if people do have photos of Filbert St, like me, they're unlikely to be in a digital format. I have quite a few, but they exist solely as physical photos, which I could photocopy, but would probably look poor.

Filbert St existed in a time when digital photography was relatively rare, so I imagine most of these images would be in the archives of professionals, though of course, as @PaddyS said, some of that will be free sourced.

16 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I suspect that if people do have photos of Filbert St, like me, they're unlikely to be in a digital format. I have quite a few, but they exist solely as physical photos, which I could photocopy, but would probably look poor.

Filbert St existed in a time when digital photography was relatively rare, so I imagine most of these images would be in the archives of professionals, though of course, as @PaddyS said, some of that will be free sourced.

Scan?

8 minutes ago, enmac said:

Scan?

Using a digital camera to photograph your old photos works well, it's how they copy artwork these days.

I've had good results myself just by using my phone camera.

There's also Apps like 'Photoscan' which turn your phone into a scanner. Could be useful for anyone wanting to make digital copies to keep them safe.

On 15/02/2020 at 16:03, PaddyS said:

Hi. Do you know about 'Creative Commons' images which are licenced for reuse?

Almost all images found on Wikipedia are available to use under a creative commons licence ie free of copyright, as long as you attribute the author (you can

put all attributes in an appendix at the back of your book). 

As an example I just searched Wiki for Leicester City FC and found this photo of Robbie Savage v Barnsley from 97-98. Click on the 'More Details' button

and it will give you the terms of the licence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leicester_City_F.C.#/media/File:Robbie_Savage.jpg

Flikr can also be a good source for CC images.

Thank you.  I've found a few on wikipedia under Creative Commons.  Will check Flikr too.