Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ely fox

No real signings in January

On 17/07/2020 at 19:52, Ely fox said:

I apologise if this topic has been discussed before, but do you think the reason we didn’t sign any good signings in January and strengthen the squad was because the owners thought we had enough to qualify for the Champions League with the squad we had already? 14 points clear. It’s looking a bit naïve now that we could potentially miss out as a result of injuries to key players. I hope we limp over the line but If we don’t, I think it will be down to not strengthening the squad in January and with all the riches that will be gained from qualifying, it seems strange to me. 

We did.

We only needed mid table form.

We only needed to hold on for 90 seconds against Watford.

We only need to not commit hari kari at Bournemouth.

We only need to not bottle it and conspire to find a way to foul everything up.

You might have guessed, I'm still not over it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Monsell1976 said:

Your right the infrastructure is a massive draw for players, and with the training ground hopefully up and running, and Rodgers has proven his potential first half the season with a youngish squad with potential, mixed in with a over paid squad of average players, now is a great time for Rodgers to attract his choice of young talent, and not break the bank, but get rid of a lot of deadwood draining the wage bill.

Competition for places is not a what we have luxury of, and this squad has been consistently inconsistent since winning the league, and is in desperate need of improvement and freshening up, to avoid another manager joining the list that preceded him.

Let him have his own players, and be judged on his team

I agree with you but also see the clubs point of view. If the right players for the right price are not available, we can’t risk the future of the club. Leeds did that on the basis that they will continually qualify for the CL and they’ve only just come back after 16 years. In addition, this club got its fingers burnt in the summer of 2016 by chasing that marquee signing. We lost out and still have a few of those players on our books.

The club have shown that if the right player is available for the right price, they’ll make the deal happen. What they won’t do is spend £42 million on a guy like Sigurdson just because no one else is available. 

Our ambitions and now expectations have surpassed our squad capabilities, which means we are playing catch up. It’s a good position to be in. Unfortunately, until we get the squad together to meet those new expectations, each window will be slightly frustrating.