Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ely fox

No real signings in January

I apologise if this topic has been discussed before, but do you think the reason we didn’t sign any good signings in January and strengthen the squad was because the owners thought we had enough to qualify for the Champions League with the squad we had already? 14 points clear. It’s looking a bit naïve now that we could potentially miss out as a result of injuries to key players. I hope we limp over the line but If we don’t, I think it will be down to not strengthening the squad in January and with all the riches that will be gained from qualifying, it seems strange to me. 

17 minutes ago, Ely fox said:

I apologise if this topic has been discussed before, but do you think the reason we didn’t sign any good signings in January and strengthen the squad was because the owners thought we had enough to qualify for the Champions League with the squad we had already? 14 points clear. It’s looking a bit naïve now that we could potentially miss out as a result of injuries to key players. I hope we limp over the line but If we don’t, I think it will be down to not strengthening the squad in January and with all the riches that will be gained from qualifying, it seems strange to me. 

To be fair we were after Demiral from Juventus for the majority of the January window up until he got a ligament injury and he probably would've been a really good signing had we managed to get him through the door

However not a lot of teams like to deal in January because of inflated prices etc, and we don't really have a history of going out and spending money in January

19/20 season - Bennett loan

18/19 season - Tielemans loan

17/18 season - Diabate (£2m), Barnes recalled

16/17 season - Ndidi (£15m, necessary due to Mendy injury), Wague loan

15/16 season - Amartey (£6m), Gray (£3.5m)

14/15 season - Kramaric (£9m), Schwarzer (free), Huth (loan)

Unless we have a real need for a player (Ndidi) then we don't really spend money on first team quality signings, we just sign the odd loan/prospect player to help fill out the squad for the rest of the season

Edited by moore_94

Your targets change when offering *potential* Champions League footy in January to *definite* Champions League footy in the summer, don't they?

Some players might only sign once qualification is in the bag - do you therefore go for someone perhaps not as good in January for the sake of getting it over the line, then being lumbered with someone you consider a silver medal?

Edited by Miquel The Work Geordie
  • Like 2

The owners don't tend to deal in 'what ifs', they will commit money once it's definitely there. If you chuck £50m at a player without the absolute guarantee you'll make the CL then that's a recipe for a financial disaster if you do it year after year and don't actually achieve it.

Bad window to operate in unless you are desperate, for every Bruno Fernandes, theres 100's of crap players available!

Put simply we don't spend money we don't have, we spend £20m net every year, not sure why every keep expecting us to flash the cash!

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, moore_94 said:

To be fair we were after Demiral from Juventus for the majority of the January window up until he got a ligament injury and he probably would've been a really good signing had we managed to get him through the door

However not a lot of teams like to deal in January because of inflated prices etc, and we don't really have a history of going out and spending money in January

19/20 season - Bennett loan

18/19 season - Tielemans loan

17/18 season - Diabate (£2m), Barnes recalled

16/17 season - Ndidi (£15m, necessary due to Mendy injury), Wague loan

15/16 season - Amartey (£6m), Gray (£3.5m)

14/15 season - Kramaric (£9m), Schwarzer (free), Huth (loan)

Unless we have a real need for a player (Ndidi) then we don't really spend money on first team quality signings, we just sign the odd loan/prospect player to help fill out the squad for the rest of the season

Pretty much bang on. Looking back at that list there's a few windows that were absolutely crucial we strengthened in otherwise we'd be in big, big trouble.

2015 - Kasper was out injured for at least 6 weeks so we had Hamer in goal and Adam Smith (yes, that Adam Smith) on the bench, had massive defensive problems and couldn't score - so in came Schwarzer and Huth who were massive, especially the latter, and Kramaric, who never really got the chance to fire on all cylinders.

2016 - I seem to remember us trying to sign Loic Remy on loan as back up for Vardy but he turned us down. Otherwise Amartey was a squad addition and Gray was a prospect.

2017 - Wilf was an absolute must in a team that was set up to have Kante's defensive abilities and Mendy was injured.

2019 - Tielemans was a brilliant addition in a position we desperately needed.

2020 - Like you say, we wanted Demiral but he got a long term injury. Bennett was cheap and available, and in a position we needed to strengthen.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RobHawk said:

We now know we tried to sign some players, but couldn't get the right players at the right prices. 

It's notoriously difficult transfer window and we decided not to overpay.

^This.

The club actively inquired for:

- Merih Demiral (Juventus). Got injured for the rest of the season, though unlikely to get him even if this didn't happen as he had broken into their first team.

- Steven Begwijn (PSV). Went to Spurs instead. Big blow this one, exactly the type of player we needed.

- James Tarkowski. Ridiculous fee quoted that would have meant little gained from the Maguire transfer.

In the end we got Ryan Bennet who has ended up as a starter due to injuries, suspensions and a formation change.

So we tried to sign some good players but something went wrong each time. I think in the end Bennet was a good signing - he might be average but he's cheap and can do a job, which is better than spending lots of money on a player that never makes it, e.g. Ghezzal, Adrien Silva, etc. Also in January no one in the Western world saw how big of a problem the Coronavirus would be, so I don't think anyone can be blamed for poor planning around that.

• Like 2

Nice to be imaginative,wenn ist Not your money..

After the Mandaric boost helping our  survival, Now KP Family taking us slowly those steps further...

KP billions,is Not ours.They no Doubt had a Budget for their Adopted city & the Football team.

Januarys before 2020 they still needed to be prudent.They had, had a Mixed bag of quality and below average investments( shit happens..!!)

Januar y is Not the Time to find the Top Quality player,Plus when/if you do...you Need them to want to even come to Leicester...

They also gave too longer a contracts,to the unknown return..! To Good Service players, like  King, & James rightly in my opinion 'at the time'

They gave Loyalty contracts. I do believe the KP-family,naivily allowed City Board & Management too much responsibility on Contract lengths,

and were probably to nice ( who knows)..

Too many on here Play & believe in "PC Football manager games" then go in immature pundit terrades....It seems they are  impatient& have no real

understanding,what any club needs to commit,then to compete, not to find just short success but  just to compete on a consistent yearly basis...I

Some have lost the normal basis for  opposition Club banter, but Sorry foxestalk,you have become Too cynical & blind,Having the Audacity

To be cynical and laugh at Consistent traditional clubs,like L'pool, Spurs, & Arsenal,Manutd, who have proved they have built up those all round

Football Club rescources...Before we get in put high horse,we have to earn that right,over some years( like they have)

Stop being arrogant und Making put we are something we arent & have reached a Platform & hight we yet havent.....

My birth town,gave me my club,and we are are what we are..!!!  Making Silly statements,that this or that Player is Not Good enough for us,

Just downright arrogance,Abs lacking Amy understanding of our clubs periods  situation....Being I told you so's,doesn't cut it.

Trying to Score punditery points,has no holding....oh Yes we have Made poor investments,But thats Part & parcel of profi-football clubs like Leicester

cant carry it,like the bigger Financial clubs...fact....

And thats Why the January clap trap,is just that...!!!

Post probably belong in topic....unpopular opinions..

I'd say not been able to shift any of the fringes players had a lot to do with it. Had we have managed to sell Slimani and Silva etc this would have put us in a strong position to add to the squad. It's not much different now. We need to move people out even at a loss to get them of the payroll.

Then we'll have a bigger picture of how much we have to spend and how many we can bring in.If Chilwell goes then that obviously increases our spending.

I think we'll bring in 3 first team players and 2 or 3 upcoming players to fill out the squad.

On 17/07/2020 at 14:52, Ely fox said:

No, because we gave huge contracts to Brendan and his staff in December while we already had a bloated wage bill. 

On 18/07/2020 at 08:32, StriderHiryu said:

^This.

The club actively inquired for:

- Merih Demiral (Juventus). Got injured for the rest of the season, though unlikely to get him even if this didn't happen as he had broken into their first team.

- Steven Begwijn (PSV). Went to Spurs instead. Big blow this one, exactly the type of player we needed.

- James Tarkowski. Ridiculous fee quoted that would have meant little gained from the Maguire transfer.

In the end we got Ryan Bennet who has ended up as a starter due to injuries, suspensions and a formation change.

So we tried to sign some good players but something went wrong each time. I think in the end Bennet was a good signing - he might be average but he's cheap and can do a job, which is better than spending lots of money on a player that never makes it, e.g. Ghezzal, Adrien Silva, etc. Also in January no one in the Western world saw how big of a problem the Coronavirus would be, so I don't think anyone can be blamed for poor planning around that.

Bergwijn was such a massive loss. He is exactly, down to a T, the player we need right now. Pace, power, technicality, can finish. If we had bought him during the winter transfer window, we would be up there with Man City instead of struggling with Man Utd, I believe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Bergwijn was such a massive loss. He is exactly, down to a T, the player we need right now. Pace, power, technicality, can finish. If we had bought him during the winter transfer window, we would be up there with Man City instead of struggling with Man Utd, I believe. 

Yep I agree, but that's the current Premier League "world order" that we are trying to break up. They had Mourinho and had been to a Champions League final the prior season, we were the team that "fluked" a title win a few seasons ago. It will take time and consistent finishes to change the thinking of many.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I think we were expecting to qualify with what we had, yes. 

I don't think it was overly naive Rodgers had enough at his disposal to qualify from 14 points clear. 

Everything that's happened since the January window closed is entirely unprecedented tbh. The manager has had a complete collapse, we've had a global pandemic, we've had more injuries to key players than the last five years combined. 

People are also forgetting he had COVID, I work with a number of people who have had COVID, who are still struggling to with the physical and mental health impact 2-3 months later 

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

It sucks but I can't really blame our transfer strategy. As disappointed as I was in January, I thought it made sense. 

There was no point in buying just for the sake of it, we have operated pretty well in the market since the dreadful couple of summer windows after winning the league.

Since being back in the premier league it would be interesting to see what our income from all competitions, and players sold v brought is equal too.

Our owners are great but we haven’t spent big money really, replacing the big price tags out going, youri the only biggish money, but when maguire goes for 80 mil, Mahrez 60 mil, drinkwater was it 35 mil, we cannot say we have reinvested the money wisely, rather cheap over paid, average players.

The owners are great but they have to much trust in the d.o.f, he’s signed of some shite signings, and given new overly generous contracts to players that do not warrant the wage they are on for their ability.

Wages are killing us, for a bang average squad players, and paying most of highly paid players wages whilst out on loan, if we don’t want them get rid, allegedly we paid 75 % of slim and Silva wages at Monaco, if that’s true that is ridiculous 

Edited by Monsell1976

On 21/07/2020 at 15:35, Monsell1976 said:

Since being back in the premier league it would be interesting to see what our income from all competitions, and players sold v brought is equal too.

Our owners are great but we haven’t spent big money really, replacing the big price tags out going, youri the only biggish money, but when maguire goes for 80 mil, Mahrez 60 mil, drinkwater was it 35 mil, we cannot say we have reinvested the money wisely, rather cheap over paid, average players.

The owners are great but they have to much trust in the d.o.f, he’s signed of some shite signings, and given new overly generous contracts to players that do not warrant the wage they are on for their ability.

Wages are killing us, for a bang average squad players, and paying most of highly paid players wages whilst out on loan, if we don’t want them get rid, allegedly we paid 75 % of slim and Silva wages at Monaco, if that’s true that is ridiculous 

Which is why the training ground, investment in the manager and stadium expansion was seen as a priority by the board. It’s all good and well having a large transfer kitty but if the player which you are attracting wouldn’t be touched by the traditional champions league clubs, you’re spending that money on bang average footballers. The best example of this is Everton. They’ve spent an absolute fortune but only signed those players deemed not good enough by the top 4/6. 

The investment in infrastructure allows us to attract better talent. That way we are not competing with the West Ham’s, Everton’s and Southampton’s.

4 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Which is why the training ground, investment in the manager and stadium expansion was seen as a priority by the board. It’s all good and well having a large transfer kitty but if the player which you are attracting wouldn’t be touched by the traditional champions league clubs, you’re spending that money on bang average footballers. The best example of this is Everton. They’ve spent an absolute fortune but only signed those players deemed not good enough by the top 4/6. 

The investment in infrastructure allows us to attract better talent. That way we are not competing with the West Ham’s, Everton’s and Southampton’s.

I understand this, but we were 14 points clear, we were not in Everton’s position were we? Investing in the squad would have meant a better chance of guaranteeing Champions League Qualification. I think we were too over confident of qualifying and didn’t need to strengthen the squad. Champions League = Money = Prestige = Advertisement = Money = Better players 

6 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Your right the infrastructure is a massive draw for players, and with the training ground hopefully up and running, and Rodgers has proven his potential first half the season with a youngish squad with potential, mixed in with a over paid squad of average players, now is a great time for Rodgers to attract his choice of young talent, and not break the bank, but get rid of a lot of deadwood draining the wage bill.

Competition for places is not a what we have luxury of, and this squad has been consistently inconsistent since winning the league, and is in desperate need of improvement and freshening up, to avoid another manager joining the list that preceded him.

Let him have his own players, and be judged on his team

2 hours ago, Ely fox said:

I understand this, but we were 14 points clear, we were not in Everton’s position were we? Investing in the squad would have meant a better chance of guaranteeing Champions League Qualification. I think we were too over confident of qualifying and didn’t need to strengthen the squad. Champions League = Money = Prestige = Advertisement = Money = Better players 

We should have invested in the January window, especially offensively as we was in a very strong position.

• Like 1