Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Alan Frost

A Serious Point

4 hours ago, Alan Frost said:

Thanks I read it . As I read the table for 2016/7 season ( this is n't ancient history) West Brom actually scored a goal from a corner almost every two games. Taking a generally agreed average 10 corners /game say 5 per team. The middle column adds up to 136 goals from corners an average of 7 goals per team, not all direct headers of course.. Currently we appear to be getting around zero. A goal is usually worth more than a point , 2 points in a 0-0 draw,nothing in a 1-0 win except for GD. Could it be do you think that the teams getting more goals from corners in this table were actually practising corners being smart enough to realise that for a short time in training they were getting a very useful edge on other teams?.

I also read the other bookmakers articles on goals from corners which if anything were even more positive about corners. The words are negative unless you read carefully, the actual figures are very positive. 

Surprisingly we were far from bottom in the table. maybe we've got worse since 2016/7 but whatever it would pay us to get better. Its a lot cheaper than buying an Alan Shearer or equivalent. He'd probably be worth Messi money these days. ( half a Messi is worth currently about a Mahrez, at two Carrolls to a Mahrez) . Also it would improve our defensive record against corners and clearing headers directed to a player. Moving up the table costs you nothing during a match. Which ever side is taking the corner you can't indulge in open play ( unless its a short corner) or penalties while the corner plays out and on average we're going to get 5 a match. Why not use them ? You can't avoid them. Remember those little circles playing keepy uppy with headers in training. Even Barcelona at their peak thought they were not beneath their dignity. Most of the headers in those circles were directed headers, not Jack Charlton type, 50p, tent pole headers and encouraged the attacking type header.

My initial response was, of course, lighthearted. Of course I agree that we should practice corners but I do feel that fans often believe them to be a better scoring opportunity than they are. From what I can see, approximately 3% of corners lead to goals. Yes we could get more goals and therefore maybe more points if we practiced them more but I believe training on other aspects of the game to be more important given the relative paucity of goals from corners in general. I certainly don’t think our corners are as bad as most of our fans think. So I agree and disagree with you haha.  X 

Edited by RumbleFox

14 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

More short corners are scored than long ones actually. Can’t remember the exact figures but have read about it a few times. X 

Having read Bookmakers stats until i'm dizzy ,short corners are more effective than long ones . Nor a lot but a bit. Obviously only if you mix them up. Madders is taking all the corners ,we're not even mixing our corner taker. I'm pretty sure Under, Thielemans , Castagne could also take a pretty good corner with a bit of practice. Justin should also practice , he operates as a good winger but his crosses could be improved a bit. We don't want a situation where every time say Castagne goes to the corner the opposition say to themselves short corner coming up lads send out chopper Harris, or some other thug , we want our short corner crosser concentrating on his cross , not survival. Mix things up. Obviously as well a corner too near the goalie is stupid. Even a midget goalie can use his hands. With a proper attacking header I would say Madders or whoever should try and drop them  at least 3 yards out. I'm looking forward to at least one goal from a corner before the end of the season. Theres a word for it, Progress.

If we get 4 , ok that's great , it'll put us back on average looking at that bettingonline table. AS you know I'm a dreamer but I'd like to go into that away game at Manchester U. leading the table by 3 points.

1 hour ago, RumbleFox said:

My initial response was, of course, lighthearted. Of course I agree that we should practice corners but I do feel that fans often believe them to be a better scoring opportunity than they are. From what I can see, approximately 3% of corners lead to goals. Yes we could get more goals and therefore maybe more points if we practiced them more but I believe training on other aspects of the game to be more important given the relative paucity of goals from corners in general. I certainly don’t think our corners are as bad as most of our fans think. So I agree and disagree with you haha.  X 

Goals are a may be but if we get extra goals there'll be nothing maybe about the more points., believe me. Correlating goals with points is impossible. A single goal in what would otherwise be a 0-0 draw is at first glance worth 2 points . (you'd get a point anyway for a 0-0). It also gives a slightly better GD. The fact that it deprives the other team of their single point also helps a little bit.All the points get added up at the end of the season.

It gets more complicated with less simple scores. Obviously another goal in our 0-9 against Saints was worth nothing at first glance. But a bigger record, a tiny bit of GD, and a boost to the scorer's morale are a little bit more than nothing.Over a season teams with more goals generally have more points.These are all small edges over other teams.At poker its those small "edges" that are the difference between winning and losing. Not so much at football but its still better to have them than be without.