Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Rugby - The Gentle Man's Game

I'll never forget my last game of rugby.

It was at Wyggeston - we had England triallist Mike Harrison as coach - and I was playing full back in a pretty good side.

The position was rather different in the 60s in that I only played there cos I could catch and kick ... and you could kick as far as you liked and directly into touch at that time.

All I really did was blast the ball into touch by the corner flag, watch our side win the line-outs and our threequarters blast over the line for another try.

So it was this particular day. We stood about 35-0 ahead with minutes so, when one of their 14-stone lumps of forward broke clear with the ball, it didn't seem to matter much.

He was so slow and cumbersome I just waited, in my isolated last line of defence outpost, for our ultra quick backs to race back and scrag him to earth.

Trouble was, our being so far ahead, the backs couldn't be bothered tracking back and took the attitude that I would deal with him anyway.

So this human elephant lumbered on untroubled, the ball under his left arm and the ground showing uncomfortably deep imprints wherever his feet landed.

I wondered if I could edge to one side and make it look like he'd body-swerved past me with a sudden drop of the shoulders.

It was about as likely as a sumo-wrestler getting a jopb as a jockey and I soon realised with some trepidation that I'd have to tackle this guy.

The textbooks suggested "round the thighs" was best but this guy was so huge I amended that to "around one thigh" and sure enough, when he arrived I launched all nine and a half stones of me into the charging body of The Bulk.

It was like hitting a fully laden Rugby Cement truck.

There was a grunt of sorts but otherwise King Kong in Gateway Shorts didn't even lose momentum. Instead he reached down with his spare grapling iron, tucked me under his spare smelly armpit and trundled under the posts for a try (with the ball) and whatever I counted as when I was deposited in the pools of mud beside it.

I could have tripped him, smashed him in the face with my head or my elbow but no. I somehow had to tackle him "properly" and it had no bloody effect at all except to rub my dignity all over the field.

"Pointless game" I thought and spent three fruitless years after that trying to persuade WGS to play a proper game that required some skill.

Archived