Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

New Champions League format from 2024

9 minutes ago, Hammo said:

This is excellent news.

People can moan about the format changes all they like but UEFA, under immense pressure from the greedy ‘big’ clubs, stood up strongly to the Super League threat and have now - as they had to - responded to the outcry about the ‘historical coefficient’ qualifying spots by unceremoniously ditching them.

I see the new format as a realistic and carefully considered compromise.

However….. The irony of Super League ringleaders Real Madrid potentially winning this season’s Champions League (a competition they wanted to destroy) will not be lost on UEFA, who should have banned them, Barcelona and Juventus from competing.

This is all true but how do you measure this. I can’t say that I have read it in much detail but what would the weighting be if say, we reached the Conference League semi-final and United got knocked out in the Champions League group stages?

I do like the concept though, like you rightly point out, it is a good compromise. I really feared that they were going to base it on historical success which would have been farcical. This does open the door for clubs away from the big six, e.g I assume West Ham would have fared well this season under the new rules.

Edited by Matt_Lcfc