Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

New Champions League format from 2024

It’s going to happen in some way sooner or later, a product of money men wanting money and the swathes of the world brought up on football through FIFA and TV with no real connection. So just get the penises binned off, let them have their boring Anglo-Italian-Spanish league for kids in the US. Feel sorry for the actual fans whose club name is being exploited for this and hopefully we’ll see what the cities of Liverpool and Manchester are really made of.

It would not bother me one bit if the money in the domestic game fell and the top flight looked more like the Championship

7 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

On all seriousness what does qualify Spurs for this? Big stadium? Harry Kane? 

Delusion and Greed I suspect. It cannot be the Trophy Cabinet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ALC Fox said:

And others.

Every year some other team 'gets close' to qualifying for the top four or looks like they could challenge eventually. Wolves, Everton and, going further back, Southampton and Newcastle. Now it's West Ham and us again.

I do hope both we and the Hammers finish in third and fourth this season. It would be bloody magnificent after this.

The strange bedfellow in this Super League is Manchester City. They are invited, BUT there is conditions on spending sewn into this Super League which would essentially limit their spending, but maybe they don`t care, as the spending has done its job and got them to the "promised land"   :dunno:

The foreign ownership that premier league money has brought has been good for our club and you can forget about stadium expansion if this comes to pass. 

We had decades of nothingness before the PL, and we'll be back there quite soon. 

Interesting to see who makes up the other 3 founder teams. Reserved places for Bayern and PSG perhaps.

Then who? Dortmund, Roma, Ajax, Celtic lol

5 spaces for qualification to make it seem like it's open to anybody. 

European football is fine as it is, stop pissing about with it. Hope the stupid wildcard idea is given just as much distain.

The cake and eat it league. Stay in the Prem, ponce about in their new playground league, pocket £300+ million a year from one and £100+ a year from the other and literally condemn every other club to also rans forever?

You've got to hand it to them, they have created a new level of cvntishness right there. 

The mere fact that these bell grinders have been obviously planning this assassination of football together for sometime should be enough to see them sanctioned so heavily we could all hear their collective squeals. 

Would I miss these teams?  Yes, for a short while. They were always where I thought I wanted my team to be, at the top of the pile - well, apart from Spurs obviously. However, it turns out that the top of the pile is peak cockwomble and actually I don’t want my team at the summit of that, thank you very much. 

To all those who said money would ruin football - well, here we are, you were quite correct. 

5 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Interesting to see who makes up the other 3 founder teams. Reserved places for Bayern and PSG perhaps.

European football is fine as it is, stop pissing about with it. Hope the stupid wildcard idea is given just as much distain.

I've seen a few things on it being Bayern, Leipzig and Porto. 

8 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I don't see Bayern joining. They seem a really well run club and the German fans would go ballistic 

3 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

I don't see Bayern joining. They seem a really well run club and the German fans would go ballistic 

I agree, fans certainly won't take kindly but if it all did go through, temptation is going to be huge for a club of that size. 

23 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

• Haha 1

Some random thoughts....

Owners of the other 14 PL clubs will want the 6 to stay in the PL but what's in this "Super League" for them?

I presume there'd be a qualifying competition for the extra 5 places in the "Super League" and that at least a couple of non-"Big 6" would have a chance of qualifying for the SL that way?

Is that, plus effectively a second-tier European competition, enough for the other 14 to accept the 6 remaining in the PL?

If the SL happens and the 6 remain in the PL, things could get farcical in the PL.....

Once the PL title looks beyond reach, what would be the incentive for the "Big Six" to be competitive in the PL? The big money would presumably be in the SL, not the PL.

This season, the title has been almost beyond reach for 5 out of the "Big 6" for weeks/months, but there have been CL "Top 4" slots to chase.

If, say, Arsenal were mid-table in the PL, they might just play reserve sides in the PL and end up relegated......but still in the SL, for which the PL champions might not even qualify....and with the SL as main focus for the "Big 6", another 2016 scenario might become likelier. :blink:

If the SL happens and the 6 stay in the PL, there'd be a lot of vitriol between "Big 6" clubs and "non-Big 6" clubs - or between their fans, at least (even if we know that most real fans of big clubs won't approve of this). 

Does the PL brand then remain viable?

On the other hands, if many real fans of Big 6/SL clubs boycotted SL matches, would it even have any impact?

Covid has shown that matches can be staged for TV with artificial crowd noises.

Could you have a big divide: big-money SL matches staged for TV with few fans attending v. small-money national league matches attended by real fans but with smaller TV audiences and less TV money?

What's going to be the reaction of non-SL clubs and fans in other European leagues?

Even allowing for 3 more automatic slots, some sizeable clubs in "big leagues" risk exclusion: Roma, Lazio, Napoli, Sevilla, Valencia, Villareal, Dortmund, Leverkusen, Lille, Lyon, Marseille....

Plus sizeable clubs in medium-grade leagues like Portugal, Netherlands, Belgium, Russia, Turkey....Benfica, Sporting, Ajax, Bruges, Zenit, Moscow clubs, Istanbul clubs...

Never mind clubs from smaller national leagues who'd stand little chance of getting 1 of the 5 qualifying slots for the SL......how will they all react at national level and within UEFA?

This will happen - FIFA have come out with a wishy washy statement that basically shows they'll go with it if the money works, UEFA will be the same, and the likes of Sky and the media mostly won't bite the hand that feeds.

If this happens, I'm done with football. I love the core of the sport but it's not unconditional and I can find something else to follow. A real shame this happens on the day we reach the FA cup final.

Who the hell do they think they are! See ya then. Punishment them all, deduct points and see how they like it. What an absolute joke. An even bigger joke that Spurs and Arsenal are included. They won't be able to be competitive with those other teams 🤣🤪

I wonder what the players think with the threat of not being able to play for their country?

Edited by Hales

26 minutes ago, what? said:

I think there are a few important points to highlight here. First that once you allow a sport to be run as a business under capitalist conditions, a key contradiction inevitably arises between sporting competition and economic competition. There's no reform or adjustment to the system that resolves that contradiction, privileging profit is baked into the system as the central tenet. You see it in whatever field of life capitalism extends itself to. Healthcare, housing, education. It doesn't matter how important or morally just the original purpose is, once capitalism gets it, it's secondary to profit. These plans are 100% going ahead. If not this iteration of them then another a little further down the line. Because you can't defeat this in just one field. 

It's also important to note that this is already happening and we're no better that these clubs now trying to take it further. The football we enjoy in the UK and Europe is based on colonial domination and the hoovering up of talent from the global south to our benefit. I'm not in Leicester any more but if you are, you've basically won the lottery that you can be a football fan and experience your local team playing at this level. Everything that's wonderful about football, the social cohesion, the sense of community, the connection to your roots and place, you still get to experience that but most places don't and that is a tragedy because sport can be such a powerful force for good in peoples lives. We should be aiming for a world where everybody gets that. 

Capitalism has been killing football for years and this is just the next phase of it. If you're mad about this then I urge you to read more, grasp the wider implications and then use this as your motivation to join the wider struggle against capital as a whole. I realise that might sound absurd particularly if you're not a political person. But everybody needs a wedge issue to wake them up and realise that they as a collective have agency to demand change. If this is that for you then don't ignore it. 

Actually I would disagree a little bit here.  In a capitalist system, you are rewarded for having a good product (trophies and promotion) and punished for having a poor one (relegation).  Regardless of who you are you can compete, though it might not be easy, and it is possible that you can take a seat at the top table and enjoy success (Leicester City). The problem is, that clubs who rely on the success have to miss out if someone takes their place.

The Super League is designed to be the opposite of that.  15 clubs who will share all the wealth between them, regardless of competition and in the process, stick two fingers up at the rest of us.

That's not capitalism, that's something else.

• Like 3