Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Darth Fox

Reserves vs Chelski tomorrow night

Here's the OS report:

Late Show Levels It For Reserves

A superb display from goalkeeper Paul Henderson coupled with a never-say-die attitude earned City's reserves a 1-1 draw with Premiership giants Chelsea on Tuesday night.

The Foxes received a blow early on when Max Gradel, who had looked lively on the right flank, hobbled out of the game with less than a quarter of an hour gone.

Even without their big names, the visitors had the lion's share of possession and although City soaked up most of the pressure, forays into their opponents' half were rare and limited to counter-attacking moves.

Henderson was called into action throughout the first period and produced perhaps the best of a series of saves when in the 28th minute, Dean Furman played a neat one-two and unleashed a shot from point-blank range.

But Chelsea managed to get the break-through on 39 minutes after the Australian stopper saved well to tip the ball out for a corner. The resulting set piece fell to Danny Hollands who duly lashed his shot into the back of the net.

City's attack only came alive in the closing twenty minutes. With their superior fitness levels showing through, Leicester pushed on, putting the visiting team on the back foot and forcing the retreating defence into commiting fouls in dangerous areas.

Young skipper Alan Sheehan had the best of a collection of openings from these free kicks, first placing his header inches wide of the post then striking narrowly over from distance just minutes later.

The late surge paid dividends as Ricky Muggleton beat everyone in the air from a corner in the dying minutes to flick a headed equaliser, much to the delight of the 1,500 fans in attendance.

CITY: Henderson, Magunda, Sheehan, King, Lycett, Gilbert, Gradel (Graham 14), Tejan-Sie, Muggleton, Chambers (Wykes 45), Mattock.

Subs (not used): Franklin, Logan, McKay

Booked: Lycett 90

CHELSEA: Pidgeley, Smith, Elmer (Watkins 75), Cork, Pettigrew, Furman (Fernandes 83), Morais, Keenan, Simmonds (Sinclair 64), Hollands, Tillen

Subs (not used): Ma-Kalamba, Hutchinson

Booked: Tillen 73, Hollands 90

http://www.lcfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/...~741579,00.html

Picture special: http://www.lcfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/...~741640,00.html

Sounds like a fairly positive report...read on a Chelsea site that they were the better team though... I don't know who to believe. And sounds like Sheehan did well, can't wait for Thracian to get back ;)

Here's the OS report:

Sounds like a fairly positive report...read on a Chelsea site that they were the better team though... I don't know who to believe. And sounds like Sheehan did well, can't wait for Thracian to get back ;)

Sorry Louise. Missed the match through circumstances beyond my control.

Having been outstanding at full back and more latterly at sweeper this season, Sheehan this time sounded like one of the most threatening attackers (even from a defensive position) and was also given the captain's armband which is a pretty strong vote of confidence.

Seems to me like there's just the boss to convince now, unless he's already convinced and it's just the politics of the thing that's causing trouble...

Another goal from Muggleton I notice and what sounds like another solid defensive performance by Leicester who so rarely seem to concede any goals from open play.

I went to the game last night, what a shocker it was aswell.

I got there about 5 minutes before kick-off and there was nowhere to park, there were hundreds of cars parked on the embankments on the main road, so I just dumped it up there. It certainly looked like there was more than 1500 people there, considering the capacity is 4000 at The Marstens it atleast looked two thirds full.

Anyway back to the match, Chelsea were far superior than Leicester and I was impressed with the way they passed it around and their movement off the ball. If it wasn't for Henderson and Sheehan's sublime defending then the scoreline could have been double figures. Sheehan has a bizarre style where he controls alot of balls my chesting them at almost any height, but it's effective as it kills the balls dead and the opposition don't get near him. He stood out as Leicester's best player, but I was also impressed with Joe Mattock on the left wing. I definately think there's potential there for him to push for a first team place in a few years, he's still only young. But he skinned a few Chelsea players and he's very strong at tackling aswell, perfect for a left sided midfielder in this day and age.

Chambers had a hard time out there, once Gradel went off and Graham came on (who was very poor by the way) Ashley was shunted out to the right wing where he didn't get much of the ball. He did move back upfront for the final 15-20 mins of the furst half and he had a few surging runs but was unlucky not to get in behind the defence and slipped over and injured himself. He did have 2 decent efforts, one was heading for the top corner from 20 yards but Pidgeley saved it and it turned out the whistle had already blown anyway for a Leicester free-kick. Another effort which he should have done better with was from a similar distance that had been tee'd up to him from Graham but he blasted it high and wide. Chambers went off at half-time through injury and Wykes came on.

The second half was shocking for Leicester, they couldn't get the ball at all. I think Muggleton or Mattock did go on a fantastic run early in the first half and took the entire defence on only to then run it out for a goal kick when it seemed easier to shoot. Sheehan had a few free-kicks, one that just whistled over the bar and a few where he whipped in for the others to get on the end of. He also had a decent header from Wykes free-kick but he couldn't steer it on target.

I have to admit that I didn't see Muggleton's goal, i'd decided with 10 mins to go that a beer sounded more pleasant than watching Leicester chasing shadows for another 10 minutes. But's fair play to them, they battled for the whole game and got something to show for it.

Going on last night's performance there is still a long way to go for Levein in terms of building a quality youth/reserve set-up. Let's hope he's got his plans in place to recruit all the best talent in the midlands and further afield.

Could anybody shed any light on what number Joseph Magunda was? I've seen him play a few times before and thought I knew what he looked like but I couldn't pick him out last night, yet it said he played. If he was No. 2 then he needs to get on the weights as he's skinnier than Stearman. I thought he was No. 8 but I have been told that was Tommy Tejan-Sie, i'm confused.

All in all the plus points were Sheehan and Mattock. Henderson also showed how capable he is of being our number 1 goalie if Douglas drops his guard. Let's hope Chambers gets back on the scoring trail soon, it must be hard for him in the reserves without some talented players alongside him giving him the service.

I stayed right till the end, the goal was basically blasted from close range and keeper palmed it into the roof of the net. What a trully awful match though, virtually no entertainment and I watched the majority of match from the warm bar in the main stand. Big crowd though.

I stayed right till the end, the goal was basically blasted from close range and keeper palmed it into the roof of the net. What a trully awful match though, virtually no entertainment and I watched the majority of match from the warm bar in the main stand. Big crowd though.

Can you shed any light on what number Magunda was wearing?

Could anybody shed any light on what number Joseph Magunda was? I've seen him play a few times before and thought I knew what he looked like but I couldn't pick him out last night, yet it said he played. If he was No. 2 then he needs to get on the weights as he's skinnier than Stearman. I thought he was No. 8 but I have been told that was Tommy Tejan-Sie, i'm confused.

He was No. 2 Ric (it says so on the OS highlights)

I hate to say it but Chambers was very poor!!

I have to agree, I really hyped him up to my mates before the game but he wasn't good. Was he injured as at one point he let the ball roll out for a corner even though the better option would've been to sprint and catch up with the ball and have a shot or cross.

I got there about 5 minutes before kick-off and there was nowhere to park, there were hundreds of cars parked on the embankments on the main road, so I just dumped it up there. It certainly looked like there was more than 1500 people there, considering the capacity is 4000 at The Marstens it atleast looked two thirds full.

Should have got there with more than 5 minutes to spare then.... :whistle:

If you have ever been to the Marston's before you would have realised that it is only a small car park and there would be loads turn up to the game yesterday. Training pitch was too wet to park on otherwise that would have been used. :thumbup:

Archived