Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

FAO JoBeck: New York Islanders

I am actually a long-time fan of the Pittsburgh Penguins (there's only one Super Mario, and he doesn't wear a mustache...) but you know, like in all sports, there's always a team that you sympathize with, and in my case with hockey, it's the New York Islanders.

lpp_islanders.jpg

Now, since I now that JoBeck is a Rangers fan (a team I personally dislike, I have to admit), it'd be nice to find out what the ones think about the others. How big is the N.Y. rivalry and is there still a lot of envy? The Isles had their success in the late 70ies and early 80ies with peeps like Bossy, Potvin and Trottier. It's been 20 years since they won the Stanley Cup for the last time.

The Rangers, however, are "only" waiting 11 years. The last time they were able to lift the most prestigious trophy in hockey terms was in 1994, when they beat the... Vancouver Canucks. lol

So, my dear friend JoBeck, without wanting to stir too many troubles, what is your point of view? :whistle:

*Trying to protect his body, expecting a heavy bashing* ;)

And here's my all-time favourite list for both sides of the continent:

EAST

Pittsburgh Penguins

New York Islanders

(Quebec Nordiques) R.I.P. :cry:

(Hartford Whalers) R.I.P. :cry:

Philadelphia Flyers

Toronto Maple Leafs

Boston Bruins

WEST

(Winnipeg Jets) R.I.P. :cry:

Chicago Blackhawks

Anaheim Mighty Ducks

San Jose Sharks

Edmonton Oilers

Detroit Red Wings

St. Louis Blues

Take that disgusting logo off this page ASAP!!!!!!

lol:D I can type about this for hours, but I'll try to restrain myself...

11581883.jpg

The Rangers-Islanders rivalry is big, but it's a bit under the radar in the American sports scene despite its New York setting because hockey isn't as popular as American football, basketball and baseball. However, in professional sports, it's hard to find two teams and respective fans that have carried as much hatred against each other than Rangers/Islanders (though for the most part, this doesn't carry over between the fans outside of the games). I think the relative animosity between the sides at a Rangers/Islanders game outweights anything else in American professional sports besides Yankees/Red Sox.

The Rangers play at Madison Square Garden, right in the heart of midtown Manhattan, and are recognized as the posh team in the NHL. However, they don't have a great history of success, winning four Stanley Cups in 80 years, including their infamous Cup drought between 1940 and 1994. The Islanders, meanwhile, play at the Nassau Coliseum (kind of a dump of an arena, if you ask me) in Uniondale, a very nondescript town on Long Island (suburb of NYC). The Islanders are kind of in the shadow of their elder neighbors (despite their great run of four Cups in a row). The Rangers have a much bigger following but there are enough fans around to ensure the Islanders have a solid, albeit geographically contained, following. Islanders fans are, on average, crazier at games because Rangers tickets are ridiculously expensive, but the Rangers used to have a notorious core of vulgar fans until the 90s (in terms of ugly chanting).

As far back as I can remember, I've loved the Rangers but despised the Islanders. Despite the 4-in-a-row, the Islanders and their fans have always lived in a huge inferiority complex in regards to the Rangers since their NHL debut in 1972, and their raison d'être seems more to me to be about hating the Rangers than supporting their team at some points. The Islanders' organization sometimes seems to encourage this (with immature scoreboard video displays, chant prompts and advertizing campaigns). Me, as a highbrow Rangers fan, consider their team classless ;)

I've even lived on Long Island for almost nine years and carried these same feelings.

Some moments from the rivalry:

I was at the first Rangers-Islanders game this season at the Garden, very intense game--tied 2-2 after overtime but the Isles won the shootout. Good, intense crowd all game long. No trouble at the game even with integrated seating besides one fight outside the Garden.

Rangers-Islanders games at the Coliseum are crazy because the Rangers fans can make up half the crowd sometimes. The Islanders fans used to "serenade" their rivals with chants of "1940!" and even a song to make fun of their Stanley Cup drought:

If you know the Rangers suck, clap your hands,

If you know the Rangers suck, clap your hands,

If you know the Rangers suck,

[number of years since 1940] without a Cup,

If you know the Rangers suck, clap your hands.

Of course, when the Rangers destroyed the Islanders in the first round of the 1994 Stanley Cup playoffs (winning 6-0, 6-0, 5-1 and 5-2 in four games--the most lopsided playoff series ever) en route to winning the Cup, they've since stopped :D

In 1979, the Rangers ousted the favored Islanders in a memorable playoff series. The next year, however, the Islanders repayed the favor, knocking out the Rangers. The notable moment of the series happened when Islanders defenseman (and hall-of-famer) Denis Potvin slashed Rangers center Ulf Nilsson (good Swedish player and fan favorite), breaking his ankle. Potvin and his Islanders won four straight Cups whilke Nilsson would only play 10 more NHL games before retiring and the Rangers went into another lackluster period in the 80s. Potvin became the focus for Rangers' fans' hatred ever since. Twenty-five years later, most of the Potvin chants have died out, but you'll still hear the Garden crowd shout "POTVIN SUCKS!" in unison at every Rangers home game.

Your Pens/Isles thing is kinda funny... Pittsburgh and the Islanders play in the same division so it's odd to see your sympathies to a division rival--I, for one, could never have a place in my heart for the Islanders, Penguins, N.J. Devils or Philadelphia Flyers! :o

The Islanders have sort of stayed in the middle of the pack, sometimes missing the playoffs, sometimes qualifying, over the past few years. The Rangers, meanwhile, had an absolutely atrocious run since 1997, missing the playoffs for six straight seasons despite having the league's top payroll. Unbelievable.

However, this year (with a salary cap in place), the Rangers are one of the league's biggest surprises. Despite having major star power in Jaromir Jagr, the Rangers seemed to have a lot of unproven young players and run-of-the-mill veterans and were supposedly headed for another loooooong season, but they've proven all their critics wrong and are one of the best teams in the league after about 3/8 of the season (3rd best out of 30, top of their division). The Islanders, right now, are where they've been for the past several years, on the playoff bubble.

OK, so I couldn't quite contain myself... but you asked for it! :D

P.S.: Speaking of the 80s Islanders... I learned how to play hockey at Brian Trottier's rink on Long Island and used to skate with "Trots" all the time. He was a great guy and always used to give my brother and I (good-natured) crap for being Rangers fans. He used to bring Islanders down to the rink all the time, so I met many players on their late 80s-early 90s team. They were all cool folks, even to a Rangers fan like me, and it was a thrill to skate with Pat LaFontaine (recently inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame). I also played on teams with sons of former Islanders Bobby Nystrom, Gerry Hart and Lorne Henning... so it's not all hate between me and that team in blue and orange.

And any news on a possible resurrection of the Hartford Whalers (who are greatly missed by the Connecticut people and a lot more all around the globe)?

Whalers.gif

Probably one of the most simple, thus most effective and most beautiful logos ever produced.

I think there have been several local campaigns, but since Hartford is only a small city with a limited market and in direct competition with N.Y. and even Boston, the NHL probably will never ever allow a franchise in those surroundings again.

None whatsoever. The only thing about them that I appreciate is that there wouldn't be this great rivalry without them. There's a special atmosphere in the arena when they play against each other, and if one of the teams is doing poorly, they can always look forward to their next matchup against their rivals.

The 2003/4 season was a comedy of errors for the New York Rangers, but I don't look back at that season with as much shame as I should because they beat the Islanders all six times they played them that season. Likewise, when the Islanders beat the Rangers, their annoying fans never f**kin' shut up about it...

I'm afraid former fans of "The Whale" are outta luck :(

Hockey is too far spread out as it is--too many teams in southern cities with small fan bases--so the NHL, after missing a whole season due to a labor dispute, would be foolish to expand, particurlarly to a city that is home to about 100,000-150,000 people even though they had a great core of fans.

In 1997, the Hartford Whalers and their scheming owner Karmanos (sp?) packed up their bags and moved to North Carolina, where they are now the Carolina Hurricanes.

I think the NHL was much better off with teams in real hockey cities (Winnipeg, Hartford, Québec City) than with their Sun Belt teams. Hockey tried to cash in big, but it hasn't quite happened.

Every old Whale fan probably still knows every note to their famous post-goal tune ;)

...But don't worry about riling me up. I'm in a great mood ;) If I'm ever upset, I can just look at this and be happy!

Before last season, the team owners locked out the players until they agreed to their new collective bargaining agreement. The players refused to agree to the owner's demands, and this dispute carried over until an agreement was reached this summer, lifting the lockout but only after an entire season was cancelled.

The owners demanded a league-wide team payroll salary cap, a rollback of all player salaries and increased revenue sharing between the teams. Their argument was that the league (and some teams in particular) were losing money and that they could not survive under the existing CBA. The players refused.

After a year of strong opposition between the two sides, the players finally cracked after gradually making concessions. In the end, the owners got their salary cap (a "soft cap", b/w US $21.5-39. No player can earn more than 20% of his team's total payroll), forced players to give back 24 percent of their existing contracts and established a more egalitarian revenue sharing system between the team. The players' "victories" in the deal were an increase in the minumum salary and a slightly better share of revenues.

The players held firm for a year but, as you may be able to tell, were eventually raped by the owners, who got nearly all of their demands.

As for SwissFox's Whalers hat query... try this site? http://www.nflnut.com/store/page113.html

There might not be any NHL in Hartford now, but in my tired state last night I accidentally forgot to mention that there is a minor league team there--how could I possibly forget the Wolf Pack of the American Hockey League, the New York Rangers' primary farm team?!

P.S.: I saw the "Super Mario" reference... it reminded me of this video:

mario90-1.jpg

I got that video when I was a little kid, maybe 8 years old... I still have it among my videos and DVDs :D

40 years old and still going strong in Pittsburgh...

Before last season, the team owners locked out the players until they agreed to their new collective bargaining agreement. The players refused to agree to the owner's demands, and this dispute carried over until an agreement was reached this summer, lifting the lockout but only after an entire season was cancelled.

The owners demanded a league-wide team payroll salary cap, a rollback of all player salaries and increased revenue sharing between the teams. Their argument was that the league (and some teams in particular) were losing money and that they could not survive under the existing CBA. The players refused.

After a year of strong opposition between the two sides, the players finally cracked after gradually making concessions. In the end, the owners got their salary cap (a "soft cap", b/w US $21.5-39. No player can earn more than 20% of his team's total payroll), forced players to give back 24 percent of their existing contracts and established a more egalitarian revenue sharing system between the team. The players' "victories" in the deal were an increase in the minumum salary and a slightly better share of revenues.

The players held firm for a year but, as you may be able to tell, were eventually raped by the owners, who got nearly all of their demands.

As for SwissFox's Whalers hat query... try this site? http://www.nflnut.com/store/page113.html

There might not be any NHL in Hartford now, but in my tired state last night I accidentally forgot to mention that there is a minor league team there--how could I possibly forget the Wolf Pack of the American Hockey League, the New York Rangers' primary farm team?!

P.S.: I saw the "Super Mario" reference... it reminded me of this video:

mario90-1.jpg

I got that video when I was a little kid, maybe 8 years old... I still have it among my videos and DVDs :D

40 years old and still going strong in Pittsburgh...

Cheers JoBeck - had a browse of your USA foxes website - well done for flying the flag stateside. I used to live and still have family in Chicago, if there is anything i can do as a frequent 'Pond Hopper' then let me know.

Re: the new rules, I like that the NHL got rid of the two-line pass and reinstituted "touch-up" offside--it really opens up the game.

However, I can't stand all the penalties that are called. I don't understand--the NHL wants stricter penalty enforcement to give players more room to sakte in order to improve the flow of the game (and more power plays, which translates into more goals), but the flow is slowed down right back when the refs blow their whistles every two seconds!

The no-touch zones for the goalies in the corner are simply stupid, and shootouts are a terrible way to settle a game (even if I'll admit that they're very exciting).

casual, your Blue Jackets don't seem to be able to adjust to anything right now... I'm sure they'd love the NHL to institute a new rule whereby they can replay the first third of their season!

I got home from work not too long ago and I'm watching the Rangers @ Chicago Blackhawks... 1-1 with 8 mins. left, Chicago's a crappy team and the Rangers seem to have left their skates and sticks in Manhattan... it's an awful game. Rangers are 0-for-9 on their power play tonight--ridiculous. They'd better smarten up soon and try to win this game. It'll be tough tomorrow night against the torrid Nashville Predators and they really need to wake up before then.

Thanks for the big ups, I.O.I. :thumbsup:

Sorry to hijack this thread but I'm a Canucks fan. Naslund, Bertuzzi and Morrison are awesome and the Stanley Cup is going to Vancouver this year. Swiss Fox how come you don't like the Canucks (I assume you don't like them) when you're living in Vancouver. I wish England showed some NHL. I have to follow it on the internet

Sorry to hijack this thread but I'm a Canucks fan. Naslund, Bertuzzi and Morrison are awesome and the Stanley Cup is going to Vancouver this year. Swiss Fox how come you don't like the Canucks (I assume you don't like them) when you're living in Vancouver. I wish England showed some NHL. I have to follow it on the internet

That is a shame, C5 used to have it on, but they dont now (as far as i know) yet they show American Football, Basketball and Baseball - i wonder why they dont pick the NHL up again - it is a shame!

Archived