Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

The problem with modern football is...

Language problem hinders Redknapp

Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp has expressed his frustration at trying to communicate with several players who have little or no grasp of English.

Redknapp told BBC Radio Five Live: "It's a crazy situation. We've got three people who can't speak English.

"What is the good when you have got people and you cannot even tell them what to do?"

Redknapp also believes his squad has a lack of balance as he tries to save Portsmouth from relegation.

"I've had three positive performances from them but I can only work with the hand I've got and it's not balanced," added Redknapp.

Colombian midfielder John Viafara came on as a late substitute in the 1-1 draw with West Ham and Redknapp said his cameo in the game summed up one of the major problems at the club.

"With 10 minutes to go, I bring on a boy and tell him to mark the near-post space at a corner because it's a vital position," he said.

"He runs on and goes somewhere else because he doesn't speak a word of English.

"It's sad, it's a crazy situation - what are you supposed to do, draw diagrams for 20 minutes? "We've got three players here who can't speak English. It shouldn't happen."

Redknapp said although he was not going to concentrate exclusively on signing British players, he wanted anyone he brought in to have an idea what to expect.

"I'm looking to bring in players who have played in Europe and understand the game and who know what hard work means.

"I want players who know what it means to Pompey fans to try and stay up."

Story from BBC SPORT:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi...uth/4562908.stm

Published: 2005/12/27 16:05:13 GMT

© BBC MMV

Should have thought about that before signing foreign players. Just getting people from hear-say is not a very good solution. And don't you have language coaches working for professional football clubs, too?

Anyway, just wanted to say that it's becoming excessively annoying having footballers from all over the world play together. Cultural diversity and global talent doesn't automatically guarantee success.

Language problem hinders Redknapp

Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp has expressed his frustration at trying to communicate with several players who have little or no grasp of English.

Redknapp told BBC Radio Five Live: "It's a crazy situation. We've got three people who can't speak English.

"What is the good when you have got people and you cannot even tell them what to do?"

Redknapp also believes his squad has a lack of balance as he tries to save Portsmouth from relegation.

"I've had three positive performances from them but I can only work with the hand I've got and it's not balanced," added Redknapp.

Colombian midfielder John Viafara came on as a late substitute in the 1-1 draw with West Ham and Redknapp said his cameo in the game summed up one of the major problems at the club.

"With 10 minutes to go, I bring on a boy and tell him to mark the near-post space at a corner because it's a vital position," he said.

"He runs on and goes somewhere else because he doesn't speak a word of English.

"It's sad, it's a crazy situation - what are you supposed to do, draw diagrams for 20 minutes? "We've got three players here who can't speak English. It shouldn't happen."

Redknapp said although he was not going to concentrate exclusively on signing British players, he wanted anyone he brought in to have an idea what to expect.

"I'm looking to bring in players who have played in Europe and understand the game and who know what hard work means.

"I want players who know what it means to Pompey fans to try and stay up."

Story from BBC SPORT:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi...uth/4562908.stm

Published: 2005/12/27 16:05:13 GMT

© BBC MMV

Should have thought about that before signing foreign players. Just getting people from hear-say is not a very good solution. And don't you have language coaches working for professional football clubs, too?

Anyway, just wanted to say that it's becoming excessively annoying having footballers from all over the world play together. Cultural diversity and global talent doesn't automatically guarantee success.

Redknapp didn't sign some of the players that are there now such as Priske, Viafara, Silva. This was all Alain Perrins doing, your right about gloabal talent doesnt guarentee success, they need to be coached and trained to play how the team plays. It's nice to see Harry still showing passion for the game and his fans eevn if it is Pompey.

Redknapp didn't sign some of the players that are there now such as Priske, Viafara, Silva. This was all Alain Perrins doing, your right about gloabal talent doesnt guarentee success, they need to be coached and trained to play how the team plays. It's nice to see Harry still showing passion for the game and his fans eevn if it is Pompey.

Priske speaks English, and is being left out by Redknapp simply because he wasn't there when Harry last was, even if he's been one of their better performers this year. That's what he told Priske apparently. I've lost all respect for Redknapp as a person though, ever since he moved to the Saints. He's a real twat.

Archived