Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lineker's Left Foot

What music magazines do you buy?

What music mags do you all like???? I particularly prefer it if they have a CD - best place to go for good mags is Borders on Fosse Park. Mags I like are:-

Word

Mojo

Uncut

Comes With a Smile

All good magazines as well as International DJ Magazine.

I like mags that showcase new and up-coming talent on their CDs. Word gets my vote as my favourite. :thumbup:

I used to get NME reguarly, the only managazine with any history of actually breaking up and coming bands, but its editorial is appealing more and more to a particuarly narrow demographic. Namely semi-literate 15 year old girls that think Carl Barat is sooo fit and live and die by the words of his smack head mate. I'm a Libertines fan, but the NME helped ruin them.

Wouldn't touch rags like Q or Kerrang! with a barge pole, lazy journalism appealing to the lowest common denominator. The state of Music journalism is absaloutely shocking really.

I used to get NME reguarly, the only managazine with any history of actually breaking up and coming bands, but its editorial is appealing more and more to a particuarly narrow demographic. Namely semi-literate 15 year old girls that think Carl Barat is sooo fit and live and die by the words of his smack head mate. I'm a Libertines fan, but the NME helped ruin them.

Wouldn't touch rags like Q or Kerrang! with a barge pole, lazy journalism appealing to the lowest common denominator. The state of Music journalism is absaloutely shocking really.

You should try clash magazine my boy. Plenty of good stuff in it. Lots of variation. Nice looking too.

Or write your own fanzine, its very easy indeed.

The NME's for 15 year old hipsters who think they're so underground. Piece of shit. Not read it in years, since they dropped the Datsuns pretty much tbh.

I used to read X-Ray, dunno if they still publish that, it was good. Bought a Q the other day for cash-back but I ain't really read it.

Uncut - every month, it's a must!

Mojo - sometimes, if the main article is about someone I really like (Springsteen, Clash, Smiths etc).

NME - sometimes, mostly on the web though. When I was a teenager I read it every week...

Q - no, not longer.

I'm still a bit sad that The Face went down.

/g

I grew up on the NME and Record Mirror. Record Mirror either died or became a trade-only rag - I can't remember. The NME isn't fit to wipe my arse on these days, unfortunately.

I get the odd Q for train journeys, but generally can't be bothered to read owt music-related these days.

how bad were the datsuns though? harmonic generator, intermodulator..fact

Aw no. Tell me you just didn't...

The Datsuns were quite possibly the best thing to come out of '02/'03! They were freaking fantastic! Judging them on Harmonic Generator is a touch unfair, releasing it as a single was a big mistake. The blistering energy of the rest of the album - especially live (they DOMINATED Reading '02) made them a fantastic act! MF From Hell, In Love, Sittin' Pretty, Freeze Sucker - classic tunes!

The NME have stuck their throbbing phallus up much less musically talented ass over the last few years, that's for sure. Like the sodding Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

For years I thought The Datsuns were the most rock'n'roll band on the planet... then I found Guitar Wolf :cool: Jetu Generation!

Got to be Mojo.

Always a quality CD with good tracks that i haven't always got. (No mean feat for someone who has about 1,500 CD's and bout 800 45's and 300 LP's)

Always a few quality features as well.

This Month its about the Who! next month it's bout the Kinks.

Well worth buying.

The NME's for 15 year old hipsters who think they're so underground. Piece of shit. Not read it in years, since they dropped the Datsuns pretty much tbh.

I used to read X-Ray, dunno if they still publish that, it was good. Bought a Q the other day for cash-back but I ain't really read it.

So 2002 then. The NME does have a target market of teenagers and students, then again so does most of the great pop music of the last 50 years. :whistle:

• 2 weeks later...

Smash Hits - though not anymore as its just been killed by its publishers, and its been shit for years.

But back in the eighties, it was ace. It was always a teen-pop magazine, but the twist was it spent as much time taking the piss out of the artists as it did lauding them. Back in the day, it bore no relation to the glossy bog-roll that it became when the likes of Kate Thornton and Emma Jones edited it.

There were always loads of in-jokes and piss-takes - sort of in the way that Saturday morning TV used to be quite clever and ironic, but is now shit.

Or am I just getting old? :(

NME is shite, the editors of th magazine are just looking to line their pockets now. anyone else read there joke of 100 greatest british albums? arctic monkeys at number 5 dispite the album going into publish 2 days after the albums release.

Archived