Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Darth Fox

Squad Age

All the pro Levein posterskeep talking about the fact the average squad age now is much younger than before. What does it matter as surely the aim of the game in football is winning. Modern footballers are mercinaries at the end of the day regardless of age so I personally wouldn't care if we had some old heads that could get the job done. At this rate we'll have the youngest squad in Div 1 next year.

All the pro Levein posterskeep talking about the fact the average squad age now is much younger than before. What does it matter as surely the aim of the game in football is winning. Modern footballers are mercinaries at the end of the day regardless of age so I personally wouldn't care if we had some old heads that could get the job done. At this rate we'll have the youngest squad in Div 1 next year.

Good point. After all, we could play the youth team, and we'd still be crap :(

Spot on - i dont care if we have a squad of an average age of 41 as long as we are in the Championship next season and not in League One (if we did go down then it would,if not already, be bye to Williams,Joey,Smith,Hughes etc. anyway)

Exactly it does not matter what the average age of the squad is all that matter is that we win and get promotion

If you buy mainly oplder players then you are storing up trouble for the future. The problem with MA's team-building was that we got virtually a new team every summer, so there was no long-term progress.

With a good number of younger players you are buying players that are going to get better over time rather than reach the end of the road at the level they are at and leave. This doesn't mean that a club doesn't need senior pros, far from it, but when you reach a point where the bulk of your squad have theor best years behind then you have a problem.

I understand the short-term imperative, but it is important to strike the right balance.

Simon

Spot on - i dont care if we have a squad of an average age of 41 as long as we are in the Championship next season and not in League One (if we did go down then it would,if not already, be bye to Williams,Joey,Smith,Hughes etc. anyway)

I'd have Gerry Taggart back in a second if it fired us up. Too many players don't seem bothered about winning or losing and the cup result in some ways shows they are only in footbabll for their own gain as they seem willing to up their game for a one off prestige competition where let's face it they don't need any manager to motivate themselves. The nitty gritty of weeky football they couldn't give a .... about.

If you buy mainly oplder players then you are storing up trouble for the future. The problem with MA's team-building was that we got virtually a new team every summer, so there was no long-term progress.

With a good number of younger players you are buying players that are going to get better over time rather than reach the end of the road at the level they are at and leave. This doesn't mean that a club doesn't need senior pros, far from it, but when you reach a point where the bulk of your squad have theor best years behind then you have a problem.

I understand the short-term imperative, but it is important to strike the right balance.

Simon

You've hit the badger on the snout there mate.

Also, if we go down in the short term... the long term plan kinda takes a back seat as it will be imperative that we get back up.

A long term is made up of a number of short terms with a degree of continuity.

The only continuity I can see in Levein's reign is a lot of 'bad luck' and not many victories.

You've hit the badger on the snout there mate.

Also, if we go down in the short term... the long term plan kinda takes a back seat as it will be imperative that we get back up.

A long term is made up of a number of short terms with a degree of continuity.

The only continuity I can see in Levein's reign is a lot of 'bad luck' and not many victories.

It is a good point. I've been a big advocate for younger players at Leicester for a long while but there comes a point when age is irrelevant and it appears so at the minute.

An ideal scenario would be that the young players we sign are bought in as pieces of the jigsaw and as they get older the team gets better. At the minute we aren't improving at all, infact we are getting worse. Older players are good for one thing 'experience' they have likely been in situations like this before and have the mental strength to overcome it. The problem however is that if your an ambitious fan, manager, club owner then having a revolving door of golden oldies like Adams had resulted in little long term progression, something we badly needed after several years of piss poor management from coaching staff and board members.

I did say a long while ago that Levein had good ideas and a decent plan of action but he might not be the man to carry it out. Perhaps another manager could come in and pick up the pieces, do a little bit of tinkering and get this club playing to it's potential because make no bones about it, 80% of the playing staff are more than good enough to play at this level and some of the lads are capable of playing at a higher level as they develop. It begs to ask why Levein can't get the players motivated, as quoted by the man himself. 'The type of players we want at this club are young, hungry, ambitious and with a point to prove' well either he's not a very good judge of player and is also a liar or he's just a poor man manager and is being found out in the most embarassing circumstances?

Every away match we suffer as a fan is a severe health risk and every home game we suffer is an alcoholics dream afterwards. I want to believe in Levein, but as a staunch Levein fan even i'm walking the plank.

The next few months are going to be devastating.

Archived