Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Hearts1998

Levein - It sounds so familiar

Hi guys,

I've been reading over your threads about Levein for the last wee while, and it strikes me that he's not changed too much since going south. The complaints you have about him are not too far removed from our complaints before he left Hearts, even when things were not going so badly.

He was always pig-headed, slow to admit to any sort of mistake and very reluctant to change tactics. Except of course to the last 5 minutes at Ibrox when we would invariably be one goal down and change to playing with 4 strikers!

We never played pretty football, we very rarely changed things if a game was not going well. However, at Hearts Levein got away with it as he had the basis of a decent side. He had an excellent goalkeeper in Craig Gordon and a very good back 4. The backbone of the Scotland team (Gordon, Elvis and Webster) made us solid and hard to get through. Add in to that Paul Hartley in the midfield and players like Valios, MDV, Andy Kirk etc who occasionally delivered goals and we had a solid side who could grind out results.

With the financial situation at Hearts in Levein's time this was a great success and he did well. We got into Europe (easily!) 2 years in a row, and we did ok when we were there. Levein got us a win in Bordeaux and a win over Braga that was worth a fortune to the club.

However he seems to have been unable to replicate this. He's bought badly, anybody up here can tell you that. Hearts were linked with Momo Sylla once, and we were all outraged that we might sign him. Hamil is not good enough, Kisnorbo was never a regular, MDV is a lazy git with no control, Rab Douglas...oh dear. I like Maybury, he's a winner and never gave up, bit of talent too.

In short, it seems Levein has stuck with his old formula but doesn't have the circumstances or strengths in the right areas to get away with it. He simply took the wrong players down south with him as he could not afford the right ones. He was always tactically quite poor, and your poor away record does not surprise me as he was always in pursuit of the magical "away point" instead of a win at Hearts, but we were strong at home so it didn't really matter.

I can't see him turning it around, as it looks so familiar, but I wish you good luck.

Any pro Levein supporters (is there any left?...you fools!) :D need to read these posts from Hearts fans

They say it all...thanks Hearts fans, maybe the chairman will read and will spark some balls to get him out and back into the SPL.

SPL your joking - believe me from a friend North of the Border his reputation was not the best anyway up there and is taking damage now

SPL your joking - believe me from a friend North of the Border his reputation was not the best anyway up there and is taking damage now

Got Hearts into 3rd place when there was a complete lack of competition for that place at the time (The Old Farm being about 30 odd points clear in 1st and 2nd) Had Aberdeen and Hibs been at their peaks like last season (and Hibs this season) Hearts under Levein would of been struggling to make the top 6 in the SPL.

SPL, he'll be managing Forres Mechanics in the Highland League if he's lucky.

Steve 'Alkie' Paterson is doing a good job there after nearly destroying Aberdeen so doubt Levein would get a job there but sure some other Highland League clubs would take him! :D

I'm sure when we signed Kisanobo there were heart's fans on this board saying what a great player he was and how he will do so good for us. I'm sure this was the same for Hamill, De Vries and even CL as the manager.

I can't be bothered to try and find the posts, and I'm sure it's not you guys who are posting now. Just seems a little weird that's all.

I really wanted CL to do well for us, I dont hate the guy but I feel really let down and am now slowly realising I might have to watch my team in the third tier of English football for the first time ever. I have stuck by him for as long as I can but I cant see any improvement, every game seems to be the same now. It makes me sick to my stomach when I think of what we have become.

I really wanted CL to do well for us, I dont hate the guy but I feel really let down and am now slowly realising I might have to watch my team in the third tier of English football for the first time ever. I have stuck by him for as long as I can but I cant see any improvement, every game seems to be the same now. It makes me sick to my stomach when I think of what we have become.

We were playing European football and sitting top of the Premier League 5½ years ago. The decline since is just too hard to fathom :o

Archived