Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
aussie-fox

Bigger Suprise after gaining promotion

With everyone banging on about what a great season Wigan are having, It got me thinking

Surely our season in 97/98 was a bigger season for a newly promoted club?

here's some facts

Leicester 97/98

Finished 10th (i think)

Won League Cup

Good run in the FA Cup

Wigan 2005/06

currenty 9th in Premier League

Runners up in League Cup

Spent more in Transfers then City

With everyone banging on about what a great season Wigan are having, It got me thinking

Surely our season in 97/98 was a bigger season for a newly promoted club?

here's some facts

Leicester 97/98

Finished 10th (i think)

Won League Cup

Good run in the FA Cup

Wigan 2005/06

currenty 9th in Premier League

Runners up in League Cup

Spent more in Transfers then City

Leicester we're probably the bigger suprise as we had no money and were probably the favourites to go down. :cool:

No money?

We still spent 750K on Lennon, 600k on Izzet, 1.1 million on Claridge, 900k for Keller, 900k for Spencer Prior, 800k for Ian Marshall and a few other signings. I know a few of them were bought in the latter part of the play-off final victory season but to say we didn't have any money is abit untrue.

No money?

We still spent 750K on Lennon, 600k on Izzet, 1.1 million on Claridge, 900k for Keller, 900k for Spencer Prior, 800k for Ian Marshall and a few other signings. I know a few of them were bought in the latter part of the play-off final victory season but to say we didn't have any money is abit untrue.

most of that was generated by sales of players and money earned from promotion.

we couldnt afford to go out and spend three million on one player because we have never had a board member who is loaded that wants to put his money into the club.

wigan , fulham , middlesbrough , derby , wolves etc., have all had this kind of benefactor.

most of that was generated by sales of players and money earned from promotion.

we couldnt afford to go out and spend three million on one player because we have never had a board member who is loaded that wants to put his money into the club.

wigan , fulham , middlesbrough , derby , wolves etc., have all had this kind of benefactor.

Your right, but we still spent money irrespective of where we got it from. It was alot easier to stay in the premiership back in the 90's though, there weren't the finacial problems for lower league clubs like there are now. That's not taking anything away from our achievements as I doubt many clubs could have replicated what we did with the equivalent amount of money.

Archived