Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Another example

of the demise of integrity, in part due to the dominance of £Â£Ã‚£Ã‚£Ã‚£Ã‚£ of modern day football.

I'm not a big fan of Leeds and certainly not of Ken Bates, he's part of the problem but this sort of thing pisses me off.

It's bad enough when a club has to lose a player through financial circumstances (Piper) but when you see clubs like Chelsea, and they are just the latest in a longish line muscling their way around ‘stealing’ young impressionable kids from other clubs academies it really gets to me.

Just imagine that was Stearman, Sheehan or Chambers that we have spent years developing and along comes a club like Chelsea who have invested very little in developing young players, in fact they hadn’t until recently any decent training facilities, courtesy of Bates, oh the irony – walking in a taking them without a by your leave.

Link

Leeds United are seeking compensation from Chelsea after two of their brightest prospects linked up with The Blues.

Michael Woods and Tom Taiwo opted against professional deals with The Whites in favour of training with the Premiership champions.

Leeds have reluctantly allowed the pair to link up with the Stamford Bridge outfit, but are also preparing a case for financial compensation.

Chairman Ken Bates is fuming over the duo's stance and believes that rejecting Leeds in favour of Chelsea could ultimately harm their careers.

"Gary [Kelly] is a rare example of a player who doesn't think the grass is greener in the field," said Bates.

"Two young players who think it is are Michael Woods and Tom Taiwo, two of our Academy players, who have refused professional contracts and are now training with Chelsea.

"I believe they have made a mistake in taking the Russian Rouble and could well damage their future careers beyond repair.

"Both their parents and their agents should take a long, hard look in the mirror."

Very annoying yes and you're right I would be furious if it was one of the likes of Chambers, Stearman etc.

But lets get real recruitment is big business these days. At work we have at least 1 call a day from recruitment consultants trying to sell us the whole 'grass is greener' idea (nothing to do with their commission of course!) by offering us a variety of lucrative jobs with competitors.

It costs c£150k over 3 years for my firm to train me and what's to stop me walking into a rival firm at the end of the training contract? Absolutely nothing.

Football is big business these days and a highly competitive job market. If these kids are poorly advised which they clearly have been and haven't got the common sense to make the best decision for themselves (which appears more than likely) then the football clubs will have to take the hit just like any other normal business.

Very annoying yes and you're right I would be furious if it was one of the likes of Chambers, Stearman etc.

But lets get real recruitment is big business these days. At work we have at least 1 call a day from recruitment consultants trying to sell us the whole 'grass is greener' idea (nothing to do with their commission of course!) by offering us a variety of lucrative jobs with competitors.

It costs c£150k over 3 years for my firm to train me and what's to stop me walking into a rival firm at the end of the training contract? Absolutely nothing.

Football is big business these days and a highly competitive job market. If these kids are poorly advised which they clearly have been and haven't got the common sense to make the best decision for themselves (which appears more than likely) then the football clubs will have to take the hit just like any other normal business.

As someone who's actively involved in the recruitment and training of apprentices in engineering and construction I know the pitfalls but at least with apprentices you have have them from 16 to 20 when hopefully they'll have a slightly more mature view of things, I suspect these lads are the wrong side of 17, and with all due respect to the young guys on here, still children when it comes to the big wide world of football and career decision making.

I know they will have been advised by their parents but I would imagine they were under extreme pressure from Chelsea and their agents to make the move. The problem is that Chelsea have an unlimited supply of money and can virtually buy anyone they want and then afford to cast them aside when they no longer need them.

It's also the case that their buying of players has left their immediate domestic competitors weaker.

Both Arsenal and Manchester United's 'rebuilding' has suffered.

The sad thing is Chelsea have been at this since Abramovic came to England. I know of about five other clubs who have taken them to court becuase they have stolen their young talent. Its a disgrace.

Arsenal had to pay £8m for Walcott! hats off to the arse for not robbing Southampton blind thats what I say.

Archived