Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jonbluefox9

Rare Football Programmes

Does anyone have some really rare programmes from football matches or just programmes that have something a bit different about them?

I've got a programme from a Scotland Vs England match at Hampden Park in the 40s. Not sure if it's very rare or not but it's in great condition and although I'm only young reading this programme makes me wish football was more like it used to be. The programme isn't written in a formal style. Whoever has written it has had a bit a laugh and said some things that you wouldn't get away with these days if you ask me. Nothing rude just having a laugh at other people's expense.

There's a paragraph in the programme which amazed me.

"You lucky people! Five hundred thousand- perhaps more- folks wanted to be at Hampden today, but only 138,000 were allowed. You are one of the 138,000.

One-Third to England.

The Queen's Park Club, who, of course, belong to Hampden ground, have plans for enlarging the ground. they would like, for example, to increase the height of the west terracing so that other 20,000 could be accomodated."

Imagine what 158,000 people at a Scotland Vs England match would be like?!

One last point about this programme, the England line-up. Tom Finney, Tommy Lawton, Stan Mortensen, Stanley Matthews and Billy Wright. Enough attacking players to even keep Thracian happy! :P

Does anyone have some really rare programmes from football matches or just programmes that have something a bit different about them?

I've got a programme from a Scotland Vs England match at Hampden Park in the 40s. Not sure if it's very rare or not but it's in great condition and although I'm only young reading this programme makes me wish football was more like it used to be. The programme isn't written in a formal style. Whoever has written it has had a bit a laugh and said some things that you wouldn't get away with these days if you ask me. Nothing rude just having a laugh at other people's expense.

There's a paragraph in the programme which amazed me.

"You lucky people! Five hundred thousand- perhaps more- folks wanted to be at Hampden today, but only 138,000 were allowed. You are one of the 138,000.

One-Third to England.

The Queen's Park Club, who, of course, belong to Hampden ground, have plans for enlarging the ground. they would like, for example, to increase the height of the west terracing so that other 20,000 could be accomodated."

Imagine what 158,000 people at a Scotland Vs England match would be like?!

One last point about this programme, the England line-up. Tom Finney, Tommy Lawton, Stan Mortensen, Stanley Matthews and Billy Wright. Enough attacking players to even keep Thracian happy! :P

I feel sure I saw Stanley Matthews play at Filbert Street for Stoke City once against Leicester - I think he was 50-cdd at the time and seem to recall him dribbling past everyone on the Popular Street side, including the goalkeeper and then putting his shot wide. That was typical of him. A mesmerising player and terrific crosser of the ball but he could miss shots from anywhere.

I feel sure I saw Stanley Matthews play at Filbert Street for Stoke City once against Leicester - I think he was 50-cdd at the time and seem to recall him dribbling past everyone on the Popular Street side, including the goalkeeper and then putting his shot wide. That was typical of him. A mesmerising player and terrific crosser of the ball but he could miss shots from anywhere.

Well he was 50-odd. Let's give him credit for still being able dribble past everyone! :thumbup:

Well he was 50-odd. Let's give him credit for still being able dribble past everyone! :thumbup:

I've tried to locate the precise game but all I can be sure of is that Richie Norman (a terrific fullback) was his opponent and described him (for a competititon question) as the most difficult opponent he ever faced (even when Matthews was that age).

I've tried to locate the precise game but all I can be sure of is that Richie Norman (a terrific fullback) was his opponent and described him (for a competititon question) as the most difficult opponent he ever faced (even when Matthews was that age).

Praise indeed.

Did you go to any of our FA Cup finals? I've got those programmes too somewhere thanks to a man I knew who was Leicester City mad but had no children to pass his possessions on to. He gave me this England programme too and a newspaper clipping from a League Cup final he went to involving Charlton and Chelsea in 1944. There was a wartime-record crowd of 85,000 people at Wembley. Nice pieces of history.

Praise indeed.

Did you go to any of our FA Cup finals? I've got those programmes too somewhere thanks to a man I knew who was Leicester City mad but had no children to pass his possessions on to. He gave me this England programme too and a newspaper clipping from a League Cup final he went to involving Charlton and Chelsea in 1944. There was a wartime-record crowd of 85,000 people at Wembley. Nice pieces of history.

I was born in 1949, a final year, had my radio behind the stumps as I listened to the 1961 final while batting for my school cricket team, watched on television in 1963 (again because of a match) and was playing myself on League Cup final day in 1969 so the first Wembley visit I had (other than a Schoolboy International) was the Steve Claridge play-off final.

I was born in 1949, a final year, had my radio behind the stumps as I listened to the 1961 final while batting for my school cricket team, watched on television in 1963 (again because of a match) and was playing myself on League Cup final day in 1969 so the first Wembley visit I had (other than a Schoolboy International) was the Steve Claridge play-off final.

That's fair enough. You've got to make the most of your sporting ability when you can because you can become a spectator when you're playing days are over. I've not played football competitively since I was very young because I started playing cricket instead. If I ever get asked to play for my club's mens side then it would probably clash with watching Leicester City but at the moment I still play weekdays for the youth teams so it isn't really a problem for me. I never got to see City at Wembley myself but my brother got to see us in three playoff finals and a League Cup final. Alright for some :rolleyes:

That's fair enough. You've got to make the most of your sporting ability when you can because you can become a spectator when you're playing days are over. I've not played football competitively since I was very young because I started playing cricket instead. If I ever get asked to play for my club's mens side then it would probably clash with watching Leicester City but at the moment I still play weekdays for the youth teams so it isn't really a problem for me. I never got to see City at Wembley myself but my brother got to see us in three playoff finals and a League Cup final. Alright for some :rolleyes:

I must say it was never a contest for me between playing and watching. That is one of the reasons being a fan is so enjoyable now I suppose.

I don't have any rare or special ones but I have a spare Reading one from Saturday that could be worth a bit in a good few years.

I've got a programme from our last day of the season game against Norwich ( the season we got promoted under Adams) and somehow i managed to get Peter Shilton to sign it. :D

non LCFC related programme i got one when i went to Man U vs Arsenal where Van NistelDonkey missed the peno and Keown whacked him one after. was sat right behind that goal with 1,000s of mancs is was hilarious for him to miss.

Archived