Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

Owen on the comeback trail!

BBC

Newcastle and England striker Michael Owen has taken a significant step on the road to his return from injury.

With the World Cup 57 days away, Owen, 26, has worn his football boots for the first time since breaking a bone in his foot on 31 December 2005.

Owen did some light training under the watchful eye of physio Derek Wright.

"It's onwards and upwards for Michael. I'm confident he'll play for Newcastle before the end of the season," said Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder.

Owen was expected to be out for eight to 10 weeks after having a metal pin inserted in his right foot - but his return to fitness has taken longer than expected.

He had a second operation in March, sparking fears that he might miss the World Cup finals in Germany.

But Roeder added: "Michael put his boots on and did some running with them on.

"He did a very little bit of ball work as well and after the session he was very happy."

Newcastle have five Premiership fixtures left this season, the last of them at home to Chelsea on 7 May.

England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson must name his squad by 15 May, while his team's World Cup campaign begins against Paraguay on 10 June.

• 2 weeks later...

Been training this week and should play for Newcastle this weekend.

Come on Owen!!

It's vitaly important for england he gets as much match practice\fitness as possible! Personally I think he will struggle though, he hasn't had a good season and in the world cup we will be playing against some of the best defences in the world!!!

It's vitaly important for england he gets as much match practice\fitness as possible! Personally I think he will struggle though, he hasn't had a good season and in the world cup we will be playing against some of the best defences in the world!!!

Yeah, but he was scoring when he was fit though. I think someone of Owen's quality, as long as their match

fit, will always knock in the goals!

Yeah, but he was scoring when he was fit though. I think someone of Owen's quality, as long as their match

fit, will always knock in the goals!

That's my point, he needs to get match fit but with only a few games left till the end of the season, it will be difficult!!!

That's my point, he needs to get match fit but with only a few games left till the end of the season, it will be difficult!!!

Two Prem games, Two Friendlies, and our first two games against the footballing giants of Paraguay and Trinidad and Tobago. He should be firing on all cylcinders for the Sweden game.

Archived