Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

A Thought

Not wanting to cause an argument but the debate that took place last week about the reserves has got me thinking. Now that the club have been thrown out of the reserve league, it is likely that the only games the reserves will play next season is friendlies against alot poorer opposition in behind closed doors games at the training ground.

This surely isn't a good thing at all is it? It will be music to the ears of the fans who refuse to accept that we might have some talented players in our academy, they'll be able spout the same old flannel that playing in a behind closed doors game against dreadful opposition does not constitute in deciding whether a player is good enough for the first team. I can picture it now, let's hope that Kelly is brave enough to give these lads a chance from what he see's in training and these low key games, etc.

What are people's thoughts? Why can't the whole of the championship get together and create a reserve league? North and South to prevent too much travelling. Or even a Midlands league with the clubs in our league and below, there must be over 10 clubs in and around our league from the midlands.

Not wanting to cause an argument but the debate that took place last week about the reserves has got me thinking. Now that the club have been thrown out of the reserve league, it is likely that the only games the reserves will play next season is friendlies against alot poorer opposition in behind closed doors games at the training ground.

This surely isn't a good thing at all is it? It will be music to the ears of the fans who refuse to accept that we might have some talented players in our academy, they'll be able spout the same old flannel that playing in a behind closed doors game against dreadful opposition does not constitute in deciding whether a player is good enough for the first team. I can picture it now, let's hope that Kelly is brave enough to give these lads a chance from what he see's in training and these low key games, etc.

What are people's thoughts? Why can't the whole of the championship get together and create a reserve league? North and South to prevent too much travelling. Or even a Midlands league with the clubs in our league and below, there must be over 10 clubs in and around our league from the midlands.

good suggestion about the midlands league but not sure it would happen? :unsure:

It's a disgrace we were kicked out in the first place, can only hurt the devleopment of our squad. The gap between the prem and the rest of England widens further. Not only can they buy better players they can now develop their youngeer players better as well

We should look to back any new reserve league being proposed thats for certain.

The big problem that I can see with setting up a midlands league is that any team that gets promoted to the premier will be allowed back into the premier reserves league, this means that leagues may lose several teams due to promotions. The whole premier league reserves league is a joke now, you could win the reserves league but if your first team is relegated you will be relegated, there is no point in playing to win the league.

I think that the whole reserves situation has been screwed up by the premier chairmen just to suit themselves.

on the points about youth development this will set players back because they may not get youth international call-ups because the major scouts will all be at the premier reserve league games.

Yer I second that, what happened??? :S

As we are no longer a Premier League Club we cannot play in Premier League Reserve games. :huh::unsure::cry::( <_<

The big problem that I can see with setting up a midlands league is that any team that gets promoted to the premier will be allowed back into the premier reserves league, this means that leagues may lose several teams due to promotions. The whole premier league reserves league is a joke now, you could win the reserves league but if your first team is relegated you will be relegated, there is no point in playing to win the league.

I think that the whole reserves situation has been screwed up by the premier chairmen just to suit themselves.

on the points about youth development this will set players back because they may not get youth international call-ups because the major scouts will all be at the premier reserve league games.

I totally agree with all of that, it's very concerning. However let's not forget we will still be competing in the academy league, which we did extremely well to finish 2nd in this season. There have been a number of scouts visit our training ground to watch these games this season and i'd hazard a guess that will continue if we carry on the form we had this season. So hopefully that might not hamper the international recognition, but I might be wrong.

How long before the PL want their own Academy Youth leagues?

Or before they use the Academies elsewhere as feeders for their own teams? After all, they have the better incentives for young lads now.

Archived